Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Towbars and FBOs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digidocs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Towbars and FBOs Reply with quote

Do FBO's usually have a towbar that will fit on an RV-10?  I thought I remember reading that the answer is usually not and have a hazy memory of a modification to enable standard towbars to fit.  What says the list?

I know a number of folks simply ask the FBO not to move the airplane, but at least with FBOs I've encountered that may be a bit much to ask.  
Thanks,
David

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
maca2790

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Towbars and FBOs Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Being downunder I am not familiar with the Acronym FBO.
I know they must be the people that help marshal aircraft but can someone fill me in?

Cheers

John MacCallum
VH-DUU
RV 10 # 41016 Flying

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of David Carr
Sent: Sunday, 26 November 2017 1:43 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Towbars and FBOs

Do FBO's usually have a towbar that will fit on an RV-10? I thought I remember reading that the answer is usually not and have a hazy memory of a modification to enable standard towbars to fit. What says the list?

I know a number of folks simply ask the FBO not to move the airplane, but at least with FBOs I've encountered that may be a bit much to ask.

Thanks,

David

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dan(at)syz.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Towbars and FBOs Reply with quote

Quote:
On 2017-Nov-25, at 7:43 PM, David Carr <junk(at)dcarr.org> wrote:

Do FBO's usually have a towbar that will fit on an RV-10? I thought I remember reading that the answer is usually not and have a hazy memory of a modification to enable standard towbars to fit. What says the list?

I've been to around 15-20 FBOs last year (US and Canada) and though I brought my tow bar with me the first few flights, I soon started leaving it at home, since all the FBOs that needed to move my plane had a way of doing so. Most have tow bars with interchangeable ends... I know that at one FBO, they commented that they had to change out the ends for what they used for some model of light jet (can't remember which one), but so far (knock on wood), they've all had a way of fitting.

I do have slightly enlarged access holes to the bolts on the nose gear.. I can't remember by how much, but they are a bit larger than called for on the plans. Maybe that helps.

I plan on modifying the tow bar bolts shortly to sit flush with the wheel fairings instead of recessed inside so that in case a tow bar slips off it doesn't destroy the fairing, so when that's done it should be even easier for generic tow bars to fit. But regardless, I haven't had any problem with Van's stock design (albeit with slightly enlarged access holes as I said).

Dan
Quote:

Thanks,
David

---
Dan Charrois
President, Syzygy Research & Technology
Phone: 780-961-2213

rleffler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Towbars and FBOs Reply with quote

Fixed base operator, your assumption is correct.

Get Outlook for iOS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of John MacCallum <john.maccallum(at)bigpond.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2017 3:24:12 AM
Subject: RE: Towbars and FBOs

Hi Guys,
I know they must be the people that help marshal aircraft but can someone fill me in?

Cheers

John MacCallum
VH-DUU
RV 10 # 41016 Flying

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of David Carr

Thanks,

David

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Towbars and FBOs Reply with quote

FBO=Fixed Base Operator. The company that provides fuel, parking, possibly maintenance at an airport. May also be associated with or run a flight school, rent aircraft, etc.

-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 1:24 AM, John MacCallum <john.maccallum(at)bigpond.com (john.maccallum(at)bigpond.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Hi Guys,

Cheers

John MacCallum
VH-DUU
RV 10 # 41016 Flying

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of David Carr
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

Do FBO's usually have a towbar that will fit on an RV-10?  I thought I remember reading that the answer is usually not and have a hazy memory of a modification to enable standard towbars to fit.  What says the list?

Thanks,

David

dmaib(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Towbars and FBOs Reply with quote

As others have noted, a business that provides fuel, hangars, tie-downs, perhaps maintenance, flight training, etc. I believe the origin of the term “Fixed Base Operator” goes back to the very early days of aviation in this country. “Barnstormers” flew around the country selling airplane rides, performing at county fairs, maybe providing a charter service, or whatever else they could do to make a $ and had no “fixed base” of operations. The term FBO differentiated the barnstormer from the operator that had a fixed place of business.
David Maib
N380DM
RV-10 #40559 (will go over 1000 hours next week!)
On Nov 26, 2017, at 3:24 AM, John MacCallum <john.maccallum(at)bigpond.com (john.maccallum(at)bigpond.com)> wrote:
Hi Guys,

Cheers

John MacCallum
VH-DUU
RV 10 # 41016 Flying

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of David CarrSent: Sunday, 26 November 2017 1:43 PMTo: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: Towbars and FBOs

Thanks,

David

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: