Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tires for tailwheel Yak 50

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j.mevis(at)computer.org

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: tires for tailwheel Yak 50 Reply with quote

Dear all,
Finding tires (plus the inner tubes) for the Yak 50 tailwheel has become very difficult.
I think that the same tires are used for the Sukhoi aerobatic planes.
As far as I know, the Russian sources are dried up.
Does anyone on the list have an idea or any experience, maybe an address of a company that can make them?
Jan Mevis
Yak 50

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
HawkerPilot2015

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: tires for tailwheel Yak 50 Reply with quote

Recaps?

I think mine came from Dresser but that was a long time ago.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jbsoar(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: tires for tailwheel Yak 50 Reply with quote

Desser Tire has the tire and tube for the Yak 55 tailwheel. I believe the same tailwheel is used on Yak 50.
John B

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Nov 29, 2017, at 8:54 AM, Jan Mevis <j.mevis(at)computer.org> wrote:

Dear all,

Finding tires (plus the inner tubes) for the Yak 50 tailwheel has become very difficult.

Does anyone on the list have an idea or any experience, maybe an address of a company that can make them?

Jan Mevis
Yak 50

heaysr(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: tires for tailwheel Yak 50 Reply with quote

I agree with John B

Desser have the 80 by 200 smooth tyre, which fits the Russian tailwheel (beautifully). Albeit, it’s hard to find on their website.

Regards

Royden
From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jan Mevis
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 6:54 AM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: tires for tailwheel Yak 50

Dear all,

Jan Mevis

Yak 50

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: tires for tailwheel Yak 50 Reply with quote

I have no idea if this picture will make it to the Yak-List, but it is sent individually to all who replied. If anyone else is interested, let me know and I will forward it.

In the picture you can clearly see the inner rim of the tire, that has indentations that exactly match the opposite indentations in the Russian wheel itself. I've never seen a design like this other than on Eastern Bloc aircraft. The Desser tire (80x200 smooth) does not have this design. It has a standard inner rim that is simply round and smooth. Putting that tire (Desser) on the Russian wheel will result in uneven contact from the tire to the wheel itself. What is the possible impact from that? In the worst case scenario, when the tire contacts the runway and comes up to speed, it would slip on the wheel itself causing the tube to be pulled, and the inflation tube to be broken, thus flattening the tire. That is the exact reason the Russians designed their wheels and tires the way they did. The indentations on the tire that mate with the wheel make spinning the tire on the wheel well nigh impossible. It is entirely possible that putting a smooth inner ring Desser tire on the Russian wheel would cause the tire to "form" to the Russian wheel simply by the pressure of the inner tube. That would be the best case scenario. The simple fact is that various people have put this tire on the Russian wheel (apparently) and nothing bad has happened yet! So it is an Experiment. And those with Experimental Exhibition aircraft really have nothing to worry about, more or less.

But the Desser tire is not a "perfect fit". It is the same size yes, but the design of the Desser tire was not ,meant to go on a Russian wheel.

Mark
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:49 PM
Subject: RE: [Non-DoD Source] RE: tires for tailwheel Yak 50

Gents, there is nothing to agree with or disagree with here.

What I said is that Desser does not sell an exact replacement for the Russian tire. I did not say that they did not have another tire that would mount on the wheel. The assumption in a lot of cases is that every Yak aircraft is an Experimental Exhibition aircraft in the United States. That of course is not the case, and the rules in a foreign country are not the rules that we have here. This is why I was, and still am, cautious about suggesting to Jan (who does not live in the United States) that he put on any tire that happens to fit. There is a difference between "it will fit on" and it is "an exact replacement".

To be specific, I have no doubt that Royden is correct and that the 80x200 smooth type tire will fit the wheel. I also have no doubt that with a tube, the Russian wheel indentations will make no impact, since indeed this tire does not have a brake on it! If Jan's inspectors are OK, with it, then it is good to go. However, there is a chance that they will not. And this is one of those cases where if he put that tire on there, and then for whatever reason there was an accident, questions might be asked if it were discovered.

Just for grins I will take pictures and send them to explain what I am making a (small) point of.

Mark

Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 11:51 PM
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] RE: tires for tailwheel Yak 50

I agree with John B

Desser have the 80 by 200 smooth tyre, which fits the Russian tailwheel (beautifully). Albeit, it’s hard to find on their website.

Regards

Royden
From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jan Mevis

Dear all,

Jan Mevis
Yak 50

===========

tire.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  313.89 KB
 Viewed:  8804 Time(s)

tire.jpg

Viperdoc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: tires for tailwheel Yak 50 Reply with quote

Be prepared to continue using your RU inner tube. Desser’s valve stem is to short. They told me I could use a truck extension. Did not work without remming out the rim. Was not comfortable with that. That was 4 years ago. No issues with the old inner tube so far. They did not Red dot the heavy side for balancing so had to balance it. Otherwise will vibrate your eye teeth.
Doc

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 29, 2017, at 10:51 PM, Royden Heays <heaysr(at)telus.net (heaysr(at)telus.net)> wrote:
Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I agree with John B

Regards

Royden
From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Jan Mevis
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)

Dear all,

Jan Mevis

Yak 50

jbsoar(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: tires for tailwheel Yak 50 Reply with quote

The truck extension works just fine, for inflating the tire.  Remove it when you are finished with the inflation process, and then install the valve stem cap.The valve stem IS a bit short, so one has to thread on the extension for filling.  I used 50 PSI, but 35 to 50 PSI would work just fine.
Also, when used on a Yak 55, 19 mm wheel bearings are used.  This is the identical bearing used on some BMW motorcycles for the front wheel.  A good BMW parts guy can likely order them for you, and a good BMW mechanic can change the races in your wheel.  
John B
On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 11:20 AM, Roger Kemp <f16viperdoc(at)me.com (f16viperdoc(at)me.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Be prepared to continue using your RU inner tube. Desser’s valve stem is to short. They told me I could use a truck extension. Did not work without remming out the rim. Was not comfortable with that. That was 4 years ago. No issues with the old inner tube so far. They did not Red dot the heavy side for balancing so had to balance it. Otherwise will vibrate your eye teeth.
Doc

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 29, 2017, at 10:51 PM, Royden Heays <heaysr(at)telus.net (heaysr(at)telus.net)> wrote:
Quote:

I agree with John B

Regards

Royden
From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Jan Mevis
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)

Dear all,

Jan Mevis

Yak 50

apatton2

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for tailwheel Yak 50 Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am now faced with a leaky tailwheel innertube.

Does anyone have a good source for original versions of these OR is there some sort of stem (not filler) extension/modification? The Desser tube is < $20 but the only price I have for the proper Russian design is many times that.

The tire itself is fairly new. When I got the airplane I changed it as it was flat-spotted (most likely because of slippage like MarkB fears in his post).
Thanks!
Andrew

McFly

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: tires for tailwheel Yak 50 Reply with quote

I brought some over from the UK. It’s the only place I know of to get the proper inner tube.

Todd

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On May 2, 2018, at 6:39 PM, apatton2 <apatton(at)alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:

Hi all,
I am now faced with a leaky tailwheel innertube.

Does anyone have a good source for original versions of these OR is there some sort of stem (not filler) extension/modification? The Desser tube is < $20 but the only price I have for the proper Russian design is many times that.

The tire itself is fairly new. When I got the airplane I changed it as it was flat-spotted (most likely because of slippage like MarkB fears in his post).
Thanks!
Andrew

--------
Andrew Patton
Yak-50
San Francisco, CA

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=479789#479789

KDVT Hangar 33-13

Cell - 260.402.1740

Email: todd@fastaircraft.com
Web: www.fastaircraft.com & www.flyams.com
richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: tires for tailwheel Yak 50 Reply with quote

I suspect the company is Watts Tyres who are at Lydney in Gloucestershire, quite near us. We have no connection with them but whenever we have a requirement for Sukhoi or Yak tyres we pass them on to Watts, and I checked with them with the complete list of sizes a few weeks ago and they confirmed they had everything.

Richard

Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW

Tel: +44 (0) 1544 340120
Fax: +44 (0) 1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com
--

apatton2

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: tires for tailwheel Yak 50 Reply with quote

Just to confirm - Richard is indeed correct and Watts Tyres (http://wattsaviation.co.uk/) were happy to fix me up with new tailwheel innertubes. The tires themselves are currently on backorder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: