Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
BBS Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spay Latex on Aluminum
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pietenpol-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.n

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

Hello crew. It's been a long time. I am curious if anyone has sprayed latex paint on aluminum, (bar, sheet, other aircraft) and if so how has it held up? I brushed latex paint on my fabric and I know others have sprayed it on their fabric, but I am curious if anyone has sprayed latex paint on aluminum.

- The Matronics Pietenpol-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List
steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

Yes, I primed it with self etching primer and sprayed latex on. No flying yet, but it has held up to moves and handling well. 

On Nov 29, 2017 10:15 AM, "Michael Perez" <speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.net (speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Hello crew. It's been a long time.  I am curious if anyone has sprayed latex paint on aluminum, (bar, sheet, other aircraft) and if so how has it held up? I brushed latex paint on my fabric and I know others have sprayed it on their fabric, but I am curious if anyone has sprayed latex paint on aluminum.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

glen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

If sprayed over epoxy primer you should be ok. Don’t use over self etching prime as some latex pigments will react with acid and either change color or bleed through. Follow proper prep procedures for your epoxy primer over aluminum or it won’t adhere

On Nov 29, 2017, at 8:11 AM, Michael Perez <speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.net (speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Hello crew. It's been a long time. I am curious if anyone has sprayed latex paint on aluminum, (bar, sheet, other aircraft) and if so how has it held up? I brushed latex paint on my fabric and I know others have sprayed it on their fabric, but I am curious if anyone has sprayed latex paint on aluminum.
=================================== >http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List =================================== cs.com =================================== om =================================== matronics.com/contribution ===================================

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

Thanks. Was the paint used exterior, interior...gloss, semi gloss or flat? Water based?

goffelectric(at)comcast.n

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

Check out the Wiener Dog Aero site, he goes into great detail on his process. I used his process on the aluminum and it works great.
Thanks,
Keith Goff
To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 11:49:39 AM
Subject: Re: Spay Latex on Aluminum
Thanks. Was the paint used exterior, interior...gloss, semi gloss or flat? Water based?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

Exterior paint. I bought from Sherwin Williams. Next time Behr from the Aviation section at home depot or Lowe's.

On Nov 29, 2017 2:02 PM, <goffelectric(at)comcast.net (goffelectric(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Check out the Wiener Dog Aero site, he goes into great detail on his process. I used his process on the aluminum and it works great.
Thanks,
Keith Goff 
From: "Michael Perez" <speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.net (speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.net)>
To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com (pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

Oh yeah. Gloss looks great but shows every flaw. Flat hides all flaws, but looks, well, flat. I used semigloss.

On high wear areas. I used rattlecan enamel.
Blue skies.
On Nov 29, 2017 10:44 PM, "Steven Dortch" <steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.com (steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Exterior paint. I bought from Sherwin Williams. Next time Behr from the Aviation section at home depot or Lowe's.

On Nov 29, 2017 2:02 PM, <goffelectric(at)comcast.net (goffelectric(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Thanks,
Keith Goff 
From: "Michael Perez" <speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.net (speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.net)>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

As I think about it, Rattle can was so easy, I used it more than Latex. Just about as cheap and easy to do. 

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 10:46 PM, Steven Dortch <steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.com (steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Oh yeah. Gloss looks great but shows every flaw. Flat hides all flaws, but looks, well, flat. I used semigloss.

On high wear areas. I used rattlecan enamel.
Blue skies.
On Nov 29, 2017 10:44 PM, "Steven Dortch" <steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.com (steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks,
Keith Goff 

--
Blue Skies,

Steve D

taildrags

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

I am a rattle can graffiti artist is about all I can say about my painting skills. When I did the rebuild and repairs to my airplane, I had to deal with the gear legs and shock spring struts, cabane struts, a couple of fittings, the nose cowlings, and various bits and pieces here and there. Fortunately, the basic colors that Corky used on the airplane are two very common colors... Polytone 173 (AN True Blue) and 139 (Federal Yellow). I just didn't want to pay for Polytone so I searched for rattle can spray paint and found that Ford Blue (also a very common implement enamel) was a close enough match on the metal parts if I painted the entire part and didn't just try to paint a repaired and sanded spot or area on the part. For the yellow, I found that Federal Yellow is what's used to paint highway stripes and 'do not pass' lane markers as well as school buses, Farmall and IH tractors, and other equipment, so it wasn't hard to find a good match there either.

Dealing with latex, I could get close but not as close. The beauty of latex is that with today's color matching technology, you can take a reasonably-sized swatch or sample in to the hardware store and they will mix up some latex to match. Usually a pretty close match, but I found that in four tries, I ended up with "just close, not close enough" to match spots on the wings that needed touching up. Painting a new airplane or assembly without having to match anything would be a cinch.

A75 power, 72x36 Culver prop

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I am not painting anything for my Pietenpol, I was just curious if anyone has spray painted an entire aluminum aircraft with latex type house paint. I knew others have done so on fabric, wasn't clear if tried an aluminum...let alone an entire aircraft. I would imagine the prep/procedures would be the same whether it be a small panel or a full fuselage of aluminum.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

Michael, just to prove that a horse is never so dead it can't be beaten some more.

I painted parts that would see more wear and tear with rattlecan enamel. Less wear, latex. If I were to do it again, I would probably use rattlecans on all metal parts. For ease and durability.
On Dec 3, 2017 8:31 AM, "Michael Perez" <speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.net (speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Thanks guys. I am not painting anything for my Pietenpol, I was just curious if anyone has spray painted an entire aluminum aircraft with latex type house paint. I knew others have done so on fabric, wasn't clear if tried an aluminum...let alone an entire aircraft.  I would imagine the prep/procedures would be the same whether it be a small panel or a full fuselage of aluminum.

taildrags

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

Michael; if memory serves, my former and long-time hangar mate Randy Stout down in the San Antonio area painted his entire Zenith 601 with rolled-and-tipped latex... blue and white. You can see some photos of N282RS here:

http://www.zenith.aero/profile/Randy

I always thought it was a very nice paint job and he is still flying the airplane on its original paint some 15 years later.

A75 power, 72x36 Culver prop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

Very interesting Oscar. I'll look into it more when the time comes. Nice to know there are others who have been there so I have resources to turn to.

Thanks.

at7000ft

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.n wrote:

Sprayed my fuse, wings, tail, and aluminum cowling and turtle decks all the same way, one cross-coat latex primer and a cross-coat of satin latex top coat. Latex does not handle gasoline spills well but otherwise no problems flying for 4 1/2 years.

Have posted this photo before, to verify the longevity of latex paint on a test panel covered just like I covered my Piet this panel has been screwed to a fence post since around Summer 2004 at over 7000 ft in Colorado outside 24x7x365 and it is still in great shape, just faded to a slightly lighter shade of yellow.

https://photos.google.com/u/1/album/AF1QipM8_9HNXD6heLS_B_jYCsqChgH4GD3HJ6HrqRhZ

Rick H

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

Hello Rick. Yes, I remember your test piece on a post..hard to believe you still have it there!
Latex not holding up well on aluminum and fuel is good to know; thanks! On the aluminum parts covered with latex, did you top coat those areas with any type of clear? (polyurethane or ...?)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

I would also think that latex on metal would not handle scuffing and such. If it is not in an area that sees much wear, latex seems fine.

I my self mostly used rattlecan spray paint on metal using a self etching primer.
On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 7:51 AM, Michael Perez <speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.net (speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Hello Rick. Yes, I remember your test piece on a post..hard to believe you still have it there!
Latex not holding up well on aluminum and fuel is good to know; thanks!  On the aluminum parts covered with latex, did you top coat those areas with any type of clear? (polyurethane or ...?)

--
Blue Skies,

Steve D

boyerjrb(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

Steve where did you get the self etching primer and what brand. Thanks, Jim B.
Quote:
On January 29, 2018 at 6:10 AM Steven Dortch <steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I would also think that latex on metal would not handle scuffing and such. If it is not in an area that sees much wear, latex seems fine.

I my self mostly used rattlecan spray paint on metal using a self etching primer.
On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 7:51 AM, Michael Perez <speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.net (speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Latex not holding up well on aluminum and fuel is good to know; thanks!  On the aluminum parts covered with latex, did you top coat those areas with any type of clear? (polyurethane or ...?)

--
Blue Skies,

Steve D

Ray Krause

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

I used an industrial latex from Benjamin Moore that's seems to not be a problem with 100LL! I have tested it several times and the latex does not come off either the fabric or metal. The fuel just evaporates and the paint looks fine afterwards, still hard. BUT I have not rubbed it roughly after the fuel dried.
Ray Krause
SkyScout

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 29, 2018, at 5:51 AM, Michael Perez <speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

aluminum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

Rust-Oleum, in the aviation section of Lowes.

On Jan 29, 2018 9:28 AM, "Jim Boyer" <boyerjrb(at)comcast.net (boyerjrb(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
On January 29, 2018 at 6:10 AM Steven Dortch <steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.com (steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

--
Blue Skies,

Steve D

boyerjrb(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Spay Latex on Aluminum Reply with quote

Thank you Steve; I got 3 cans today and will be using it tomorrow. Jim 
Quote:
On January 29, 2018 at 7:50 AM Steven Dortch <steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Rust-Oleum, in the aviation section of Lowes.

On Jan 29, 2018 9:28 AM, "Jim Boyer" <boyerjrb(at)comcast.net (boyerjrb(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
On January 29, 2018 at 6:10 AM Steven Dortch <steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.com (steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

--
Blue Skies,

Steve D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pietenpol-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: