Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear seats seatbacks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Rear seats seatbacks Reply with quote

Guys

As you know, the rear seats seat backs have reinforcement angles in all 4 edges, 2 vertically (thicker) and 2 horizontally (thinner), and it is clear that these 4 angles are the seat backs structure.

But in the upper horizontal edge, the corrugated aluminium sheet also has a tab that goes backwards (pointing to the baggage compartment), with a tip slightly bend, and this tab goes over the upper angle.
I don’t understand what is this tab for.

The problem is that I am now beginning to upholster the seat backs, and it looks convenient to eliminate this tab.

Does anybody know what is this tab for?
Is there any problem to eliminate this tab?

Thanks
Carlos

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

image1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  489.4 KB
 Viewed:  5600 Time(s)

image1.jpeg

sportav8r(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Rear seats seatbacks Reply with quote

A darned good question I've had since i built my -6A twenty years ago.  It's done the exact same way. 

My hunch is it's to finish the edge which would otherwise be wavy between the rivets, and to add a tiny bit of shear web in addition to the angle stock, to make it less flimsy.  I bet it's a complete non-issue, for the loads the seat backs see in use.

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 7:40 PM, Carlos Trigo <trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt (trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt)> wrote:
Quote:
Guys

As you know, the rear seats seat backs have reinforcement angles in all 4 edges, 2 vertically (thicker) and 2 horizontally (thinner), and it is clear that these 4 angles are the seat backs structure.

But in the upper horizontal edge, the corrugated aluminium sheet also has a tab that goes backwards (pointing to the baggage compartment), with a tip slightly bend, and this tab goes over the upper angle.

The problem is that I am now beginning to upholster the seat backs, and it looks convenient to eliminate this tab.

Thanks
Carlos

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Greg McFarlane

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seats seatbacks Reply with quote

Some of the after market seat makers use that angled overhang to secure the seat cover, a flap of material goes over the top and is usually secured underneath by self adhesive valcro. Gives a nice finished look to the seat back cause it carries the fabric or whatever right over the back and out of sight. Also on the RV6 and maybe others there was a strip the slot would fit into and stop the seat backs flopping forward, most builders ( that I know) not saying it’s the right thing to do, didn’t fit that strip cause sometimes it’s handy to be able to pull the seat back forward a bit to gain access to the baggage compartment. Probably the seat back design has continued cause it’s just a standard part interchangable through the models . Cheers from Western Australia

trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Rear seats seatbacks Reply with quote

Bill

In my -9A, the seats backs have a similar tab, also with a bend tip, but that tab has a clear function, which is to fit in a female slit and hold the seat back.
But in the -10 there is no slit where this tab goes in, i. e, the tab is free in the air, so I don’t see any mechanical or structural mission for it.
Thanks
Carlos

Enviado do meu iPhone

No dia 09/12/2017, às 01:32, Bill Boyd <sportav8r(at)gmail.com (sportav8r(at)gmail.com)> escreveu:
Quote:
A darned good question I've had since i built my -6A twenty years ago. It's done the exact same way.

My hunch is it's to finish the edge which would otherwise be wavy between the rivets, and to add a tiny bit of shear web in addition to the angle stock, to make it less flimsy. I bet it's a complete non-issue, for the loads the seat backs see in use.

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 7:40 PM, Carlos Trigo <trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt (trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt)> wrote:
Quote:
Guys

Thanks
Carlos

trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Rear seats seatbacks Reply with quote

Thank you Greg (in Western Australia)
for your explanations

I agree with your last assumption (that it’s probably a lazy continued design from the 2-seat models).

But to secure the seat cover, it would suffice the upper structural angle, it would not be necessary this thin aluminium sheet tab... I would say

Carlos

Enviado do meu iPhone

No dia 09/12/2017, às 09:50, Greg McFarlane <grbcmcfarlane(at)gmail.com> escreveu:

Quote:

Some of the after market seat makers use that angled overhang to secure the seat cover, a flap of material goes over the top and is usually secured underneath by self adhesive valcro. Gives a nice finished look to the seat back cause it carries the fabric or whatever right over the back and out of sight. Also on the RV6 and maybe others there was a strip the slot would fit into and stop the seat backs flopping forward, most builders ( that I know) not saying it’s the right thing to do, didn’t fit that strip cause sometimes it’s handy to be able to pull the seat back forward a bit to gain access to the baggage compartment. Probably the seat back design has continued cause it’s just a standard part interchangable through the models . Cheers from Western Australia

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=476265#476265

sportav8r(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Rear seats seatbacks Reply with quote

Carlos, I've never inspected a -9 that closely, but in the -6 models, the tab that fits into either of a pair of slots on the seat back cross-brace is attached to the seat back by hinge material several inches below the top of the seat, and is used to set the seat back recline angle.  The fold at the top of the seat back serves no apparent purpose. Velcro could be attached to the angle stock about as readily as to the bent flange we're talking about.  And if you sew an inverted pocket into the top of the seat back cushion, there'd be no need for Velcro attachment to hold it.  

I'd say cut it off if you wish.  I might very well do the same except I don't want to complicate life for Abby or whoever supplies my upholstery one day.
On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 7:25 AM, Carlos Trigo <trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt (trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt)> wrote:
Quote:
Bill

In my -9A, the seats backs have a similar tab, also with a bend tip, but that tab has a clear function, which is to fit in a female slit and hold the seat back.
But in the -10 there is no slit where this tab goes in, i. e, the tab is free in the air, so I don’t see any mechanical or structural mission for it.
Thanks
Carlos 

Enviado do meu iPhone

No dia 09/12/2017, às 01:32, Bill Boyd <sportav8r(at)gmail.com (sportav8r(at)gmail.com)> escreveu:
Quote:
A darned good question I've had since i built my -6A twenty years ago.  It's done the exact same way. 

My hunch is it's to finish the edge which would otherwise be wavy between the rivets, and to add a tiny bit of shear web in addition to the angle stock, to make it less flimsy.  I bet it's a complete non-issue, for the loads the seat backs see in use.

Quote:
Guys

Thanks
Carlos

trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Rear seats seatbacks Reply with quote

This is what I did

[img]cid:6F47482E-E08B-4636-8F83-0FAF1A9362A5[/img]
I didn’t cut the tab, but I bent it around the angle.
Afterwards, I covered it with the  leather I glued over the front of the backrest
Carlos
No dia 10/12/2017, às 16:01, Bill Boyd <sportav8r(at)gmail.com (sportav8r(at)gmail.com)> escreveu:
Quote:
Carlos, I've never inspected a -9 that closely, but in the -6 models, the tab that fits into either of a pair of slots on the seat back cross-brace is attached to the seat back by hinge material several inches below the top of the seat, and is used to set the seat back recline angle. The fold at the top of the seat back serves no apparent purpose. Velcro could be attached to the angle stock about as readily as to the bent flange we're talking about. And if you sew an inverted pocket into the top of the seat back cushion, there'd be no need for Velcro attachment to hold it.

I'd say cut it off if you wish. I might very well do the same except I don't want to complicate life for Abby or whoever supplies my upholstery one day.
On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 7:25 AM, Carlos Trigo <trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt (trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt)> wrote:
Quote:
Bill

Thanks
Carlos

Enviado do meu iPhone

Quote:
A darned good question I've had since i built my -6A twenty years ago. It's done the exact same way.

My hunch is it's to finish the edge which would otherwise be wavy between the rivets, and to add a tiny bit of shear web in addition to the angle stock, to make it less flimsy. I bet it's a complete non-issue, for the loads the seat backs see in use.

Quote:
Guys

Thanks
Carlos

image1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  525.99 KB
 Viewed:  5564 Time(s)

image1.jpeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: