Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Debug plan for flaky NavCom operation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a.s.elliott(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Debug plan for flaky NavCom operation? Reply with quote

I have recently purchased an RV with an SL-30 as the #2 radio. Operation of this radio is very inconsistent. Typically on the ground on battery power I get good reception and transmission on local frequencies. Sometime after engine start, I pick up a *lot* of background static on some, but not all, frequencies. At least on the ground, I can still talk and receive on these frequencies, overcoming the static.

But in the air, this radio is very flaky, both com and nav. Sometimes it seems to work OK, but sometimes I can’t receive the local ATIS from 10 miles away when it is clear on the #1 radio. The static sometimes is there and sometimes not. Sometimes the VOR reception is good and correct, and sometimes it loses lock or report an obviously wrong radial. (I haven’t tried the ILS yet.)

My first thought was that there must be a bad ground somewhere, but before going in with the flashlight and meter (which is not a trivial process, of course), and before considering pulling the radio and having it tested (Garmin’s flat repair prices are $$$.), I thought I would try to get a debug plan from the group here. Basically, I need a sequence of things to check in order, hopefully going from simple to more difficult, which would lead to (a) resolution of the problem or (b) a decision to send the radio for check/repair.

Anyone have such a plan??
Thanks,
Andy Elliott
--------------------------
Andy Elliott, RV-8, N303RV
CL: 480-695-9568

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Debug plan for flaky NavCom operation? Reply with quote

Quote:

But in the air, this radio is very flaky, both com and nav. Sometimes it seems to work OK, but sometimes I can’t receive the local ATIS from 10 miles away when it is clear on the #1 radio. The static sometimes is there and sometimes not. Sometimes the VOR reception is good and correct, and sometimes it loses lock or report an obviously wrong radial. (I haven’t tried the ILS yet.)

My first thought was that there must be a bad ground somewhere, but before going in with the flashlight and meter (which is not a trivial process, of course), and before considering pulling the radio and having it tested (Garmin’s flat repair prices are $$$.), I thought I would try to get a debug plan from the group here. Basically, I need a sequence of things to check in order, hopefully going from simple to more difficult, which would lead to (a) resolution of the problem or (b) a decision to send the radio for check/repair.

If I'm reading the installation manual correctly,
the nav and comm sections of this radio are completely
independently powered with their own antennas and audio
outputs. The fact that both features are affected suggests
that the problem is not in the radio itself.

Is your avionics shop local or do you have to ship
the radio off? I used to be able to get a functional
look-see done on a radio for a very nominal price . . .
not looking for an inspection for return to service,
just sensitivity chex on one frequency of each radio
and normal transmitter behavior.

This is a simple if not cheap check that would
rule in/out installation deficiencies.

Do you have an audio panel? Has the SL30 radio
ever worked for you or has it always been
flaky? Are you using a splitter on the nav
antenna to drive both #1 and SL30? You might
try swapping the comm antennas between the two
radios and doing a VSWR check on both antennas
while you're at it. Is the problem consistent
whether or not the engine is running? Whether
or not the alternator is on line?

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: