Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mark III transport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbdarke(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Mark III transport Reply with quote

Any ideas on how to load a Mark III Xtra into a 26 foot moving truck.  
--
John Darke, 72 Sabal Drive - Punta Gorda, FL 33950 - 941-676-0429

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Mark III transport Reply with quote

Lot easier if the truck is sitting still....Smile  

I would go nose first...secure the main gear to the floor with straps that go under 2X2's that are screwed to the floor in front and at the rear of the wheels..
  I would elevate the tail boom a bit in front of the horiz stab....on a pedestal that is screwed to the floor... maybe 5 or 6 inches wide and cushioned with thick foam or couch cushion.. Strap that ....
   Drop the wings to the floor on Couch cushions leaving them attached at the rear spar.... secure the wings with some long straps.. 

Herb

On 12/13/2017 06:56 AM, John Darke wrote:

Quote:

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

brubakermal(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Mark III transport Reply with quote

the wings want to drag on the ground if you run them up a ramp that is too steep, I like to put the tail under a 5 gallon bucket and always use pipe insulation around the tail and ailerons . also saran packing wrap helps hold thing together without chaffing .and never store things inside the fuselage that can shift and poke holes in the fabric. 
Malcolm & Jeanne Brubaker
Michigan Sport Pilot Repair
http://michigansportpilotrepair.com
LSRM-A, PPC, WS
Great Sails - Sailmaker
for Ultralight & Light Sport
(989)513-3022

To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 8:49 AM
Subject: Re: Kolb-List: Mark III transport

I would go nose first...secure the main gear to the floor with straps that go under 2X2's that are screwed to the floor in front and at the rear of the wheels..
I would elevate the tail boom a bit in front of the horiz stab....on a pedestal that is screwed to the floor... maybe 5 or 6 inches wide and cushioned with thick foam or couch cushion.. Strap that ....
Drop the wings to the floor on Couch cushions leaving them attached at the rear spar.... secure the wings with some long straps..
Herb
Quote:

-- John Darke, 72 Sabal Drive - Punta Gorda, FL 33950 - 941-676-0429

russk50(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Mark III transport Reply with quote

FWIW - I hang the wings on the walls. tailwheel rides in a track between 2 2x2’s screwed to the floor.Electric winch hauls Xtra into trailer. Strap down mains, put boom tube non a strong suppport & lash down. Struts, center section hang on walls too
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2017, at 7:56 AM, John Darke <jbdarke(at)gmail.com (jbdarke(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

-- John Darke, 72 Sabal Drive - Punta Gorda, FL 33950 - 941-676-0429

jbdarke(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Mark III transport Reply with quote

Thanks for that Herb and Russ.  I assume ramps would be need to lift it into the truck (or a couple of weight lifters)?
On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 8:45 AM, SugarDad <herbgh(at)nctc.com (herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Herb

Quote:

--
John Darke, 72 Sabal Drive - Punta Gorda, FL 33950 - [url=tel:(941)%20676-0429]941-676-0429[/url]

--

herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Mark III transport Reply with quote

Yep!! Ramps are good...the problem, is with  dragging the wings and tail boom...as the plane moves forward...Being able to back the truck into a berm...is much mo' better...Herb

On 12/13/2017 11:15 AM, John Darke wrote:

Quote:
Thanks for that Herb and Russ.  I assume ramps would be need to lift it into the truck (or a couple of weight lifters)?

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 8:45 AM, SugarDad <herbgh(at)nctc.com (herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Herb

Quote:

--
John Darke, 72 Sabal Drive - Punta Gorda, FL 33950 - [url=tel:%28941%29%20676-0429]941-676-0429[/url]

--

jbdarke(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Mark III transport Reply with quote

Yes sir makes sense.  Got an idea on how to get some dual time in a Mark III?
On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 12:27 PM, SugarDad <herbgh(at)nctc.com (herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Yep!! Ramps are good...the problem, is with  dragging the wings and tail boom...as the plane moves forward...Being able to back the truck into a berm...is much mo' better...Herb

Quote:

Quote:

Herb

Quote:

--
John Darke, 72 Sabal Drive - Punta Gorda, FL 33950 - [url=tel:%28941%29%20676-0429]941-676-0429[/url]

--
John Darke, 72 Sabal Drive - Punta Gorda, FL 33950 - [url=tel:(941)%20676-0429]941-676-0429[/url]

--

neilsenrm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Mark III transport Reply with quote

Dual time is good especially if you’re a GA pilot.
Those big trucks can give your mklll a rough ride and worst in the back. Be sure to support the wings where they attach to the universal joints.
Rick Neilsen 
Redrive VW MKlll

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 11:17 AM John Darke <jbdarke(at)gmail.com (jbdarke(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Yes sir makes sense.  Got an idea on how to get some dual time in a Mark III?
On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 12:27 PM, SugarDad <herbgh(at)nctc.com (herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Herb

Quote:

--

--

--

capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Mark III transport Reply with quote

Wouldn’t it be better to hang the wings on the wall I a couple pieces of carpet ?

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 13, 2017, at 8:45 AM, SugarDad <herbgh(at)nctc.com (herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Herb

Quote:

--
John Darke, 72 Sabal Drive - Punta Gorda, FL 33950 - 941-676-0429

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: