Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fwd: best props

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcottrell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Fwd: best props Reply with quote

In regard to props and two strokes. It is my understanding that the three blade props gave smoother flight, and a bit faster level flight, while a two blade gives better climb, and is perhaps a bit noisier. A three blade of course needs to be pitched a bit flatter. I was also told that the proper way to pitch a prop was to tie it down by the tail to something solid and pitch it to 6300 rpm's at wide open throttle. That will give you the maximum of about 6700 unencumbered level flight, then you stabilize your egt's with your jets to about 1150 level flight.In regard to EGT levels it takes a bit of fiddling to get it squared away, and there is lots of discussion in the archives concerning EGTS as well as pitching props.
Larry
On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 11:06 AM, jpfitt <jpfitt(at)sbcglobal.net (jpfitt(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: jpfitt <jpfitt(at)sbcglobal.net (jpfitt(at)sbcglobal.net)>

I'm Very interested to hear about prop choices and initial settings with adjustable pitch props.  I am nearing completion of a FS II with a dcdi 503 ( 80 hrs TT) compression good, easy start, carbs set for this location, no intake leaks....plugs nice tan color.
warp drive 64" three blade, 2.58 B box initial set at 11 deg= max rpm 4800.
Re-pitched to 9.5 deg. = 5200 rpm. Re- pitch to 8.75 deg. But best rpm is 5800 rpm.
During tests tried enriching (choke) , moving jet needle, main jets. EGT around 950.
Brian at Kolb suggested initial prop setting of 12 deg. when I bought the prop from him.
Can't believe that the prop should be set at this low degree.
John Fitt from Sebastopol, Ca

Sent from my iPad

> On Dec 29, 2017, at 5:44 PM, George Helton <gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
>
> --> Kolb-List message posted by: George Helton <gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)>
>
> Props are one of those things that require a lot of thought. I’ve run two blade wooden props. (Tennessee propeller) very good at matching prop to specific engines. Real good composite leading edges are available. Reasonably priced.
> I’ve run Ivoprops in both two and three blade configurations with good results, very adjustable. They held up well in sandy and decomposed granite runway conditions. The only downside was that they’re heavy and seem to take a little longer to wind up. The blades do flex a lot and on some Kolb models require a prop extension. Added cost.
> At the present time I’m liking Powerfin propellers. Beautifully CNC machined hubs and light very stiff composite blades. Ceramic leading edges are available. I’m sure they’d be great in really abrasive conditions. Extra cost though. They come in two and three blade versions. They are expensive, but worth the it I think.
> Warp Drives are really good looking props. They look really well made. I’ve heard that they are great propellers. I’ve been told that they’re on the heavy side too. But, that’s hearsay. I have no experience with them, so I have no opinion.
> I think the two blade props are more efficient for around performance. But, I like three blades simply because I like the climb power and smoothness. I think that I will loose a little on cruise with a three blade. But, I’m all about takeoff and clearing trees up here. Just my input. It’s worth what it cost you. Just opinions. Have a great day! George
>
> George Helton
> 1986 Firestar, FS100
> 14GDH
> Mesick, Michigan
> gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)
>
> Do not archive
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Dec 29, 2017, at 6:31 PM, japowell <japnmjp(at)twc.com (japnmjp(at)twc.com)> wrote:
>>
>> --> Kolb-List message posted by: "japowell" <japnmjp(at)twc.com (japnmjp(at)twc.com)>
>>
>> I sent the 503 out for a zero time rebuild to Heaven Bound Aviation in Johnstown.  After looking at the prop, I found a few nicks and bruises on it and would like to replace it. What is the best prop for the 503?  I have researched the achives and am still confused.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --------
>> Jim P
>> WAR EAGLE
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Read this topic online here:
>>
>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=476873#476873
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

====================================
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant of others.

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

--
The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant of others.

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: