Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

W26C

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdaniell.longport(at)gmai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: W26C Reply with quote

Today in the pre flight i noticed something which has probably always been present which is that the starboard side W26C moves front to rear a small amount.  I noticed this by grabbing the end of the wing and moving front to rear.

W26C is the barrel of the wing rear pin socket assembly.
I have inspected tie bar and the mounting of the socket assembly and everything is in order.
I am assuming that this is normal since the W26C barrel is free floating fore and afte and is retained in place by the 3/16 hex socket machines screws that fix the whole assembly to the fuselage.  Am I right?
thanks
Will

William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
JonSmith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: W26C Reply with quote

Will, comparing notes rather than any suggestions, mine has an identical movement in the wingtip; a noticeable fore and aft movement of free play. It’s in both but a bit more on the starboard side.

I assume that it’s a touch of play in the pip pin where it fits into the wing pin and the W26B/C mounting assembly. Mine has always been like it and I’ve always assumed it to be normal as I think that there must be a tiny bit of play in a removable pin which will appear magnified out at the wingtip (the wing makes a long spanner!). When I move the wingtip back and foreward I can see the gap between the wing fairing and the fuselage side adjacent to the pip pin opening and closing slightly in accordance with my movement which makes me think that the play is in the pip pin itself.

I don’t think that the play is caused by the W26B barrel moving back and forwards. On mine the tolerance between the socket housing and the cheeks of the fitting’s body are very tight, the barrel is held to the socket housing by locktite and the pip pin holds the entire assembly together regardless of the loctite when it’s rigged anyway.

Like you I am 100% confident of the integrity of all fittings in that area. I think it’s just a bit of slack in the pip pin allowing the rear wing root to move in and out from the fuselage side (slightly) rather than the wing root sliding fore and aft. I would be very keen to hear from anyone else with more information on it!
Cheers, Jon

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: W26C Reply with quote

William and Jon,This movement seems unusual. I would de-rig the wings and check the integrity of your spars, spar wing sockets, and spar pins. There really should not be any movement at all! 
Cheers,
Tim
Tim Ward12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz (ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz)
Mob +64 210640221

On 19/02/2018, at 3:05 AM, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com (wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Today in the pre flight i noticed something which has probably always been present which is that the starboard side W26C moves front to rear a small amount. I noticed this by grabbing the end of the wing and moving front to rear.

W26C is the barrel of the wing rear pin socket assembly.
I have inspected tie bar and the mounting of the socket assembly and everything is in order.
I am assuming that this is normal since the W26C barrel is free floating fore and afte and is retained in place by the 3/16 hex socket machines screws that fix the whole assembly to the fuselage. Am I right?
thanks
Will

William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

JonSmith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: W26C Reply with quote

Hi Tim, thanks for your thought. I agree and might have over exaggerated the amount of movement in my description - it’s only small and I can only think it’s a touch of natural play in the pins; mainly the pip pins but possibly the main wing pins too. I trailer and rig mine every time I fly so always see it derigged. Everything is totally sound and correct. I remember in the build (well, the weight increase mod) that the main pins were always quite a slack fit in the bushes, especially the main pip pin which I seem to remember is a tad smaller than the temporary bolts supplied for build purposes, so if nothing else this must introduce a touch of movement in the system.

I also remember some years ago when thinking about this very subject, walking around an LAA rally and having a surreptitious (and very gentle) pull on a few other people’s wingtips and all the ones I tried had small bit of fore and aft movment in the wing tips...!
Cheers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: