Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mixing fuel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Mixing fuel Reply with quote

Yes it would be easier. However, I don’t like to leave mixed fuel sitting, even with Sta-Bil in it. Many times I leave the house headed to the airport with the intention of flying but before I actually get the engine started the conditions change and I don’t actually get to fly. My method has the least amount of mixed fuel on hand at any given time, but there is more available for mixing if the need should arise. Also, since it may be several weeks before the next opportunity to fly, the less mixed the better.

Stuart

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John Hauck
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:25 AM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Mk3 Xtra Fuel Tank Install....

Would it not be easier to put the Stabil and two stroke oil in the gas can before buying fuel? Save a few operations maybe.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Stuart Harner
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 7:26 AM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: RE: Mk3 Xtra Fuel Tank Install....

That is a good point. Sparks and vapors = bad things.

In the case of the Faucet style the pump and wiring is located outside of the gas can. You would have to drop a pickup tube/hose into the can. The most likely place for a spark to occur would be at the battery connection. If a switch were used, a sealed one would be best. In an open air situation unless the spark was fairly close to the open can or tank this is probably not too much of a concern, but caution is always advised.

In my situation I like the battery operated pump because I don’t have to mess with wires and just the one hose. For fueling the Firefly, it is much easier with the wings folded so I fuel up before doing anything else.

At the gas station I put exactly 5 gal. in my 6 gal. can(s). As soon as I get to the hangar I add Sta-Bil to each new batch, even if I intend to use it right away. Next, is the only messy part of the operation. I have to take the TeraPump out of the mix can put it somewhere clean.

Pour a gallon or two into the mix can, then add my 2-stroke oil. Use a little fresh gas to rinse the measuring cup and make sure that all the oil gets into the gas, putting the rinse into the mix can. Shake slightly, then pour the rest of the fresh gas into the mix can. Replace TeraPump. Agitate again, just to make sure.

Then set the mix can and pump on something (plastic spool, chair, etc) close enough to reach the tank with the hose. Clip the hose to the tank and hit the start button. In a couple of minutes the tank is full and there is no spilled fuel.

While the pump is running I do my preflight inspection of the engine, mounts, fuel and electrical system because it is so much easier to get a good look while the wings are folded and I am standing there anyway. I don’t have to watch the fuel flow as the pump will shut itself off when the tank is about an inch from being full.

Stuart

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: