Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to upgrade from Grove discs and pads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noconwud(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Looking to upgrade from Grove discs and pads Reply with quote

Folks

I don’t often post on here but figured I would share an interesting development in the FAA rules and also query for some help on my brakes.

First, and inspired by Tim Olson, I just concluded my commercial checkride enroute to getting a CFI. What’s most noteworthy is that I was able to do all my checkride in my 10. FAA just eliminated the reqt for doing any part in a complex for commercial or CFI. Amusingly the arrow that I had been training with has been down for three weeks for a stick governor cable that caused me to abort my initial checkride during the run up. I’m going up for my CFI later this month with spin endorsement this weekend. Thank Tim.

Second I guess I’m one of the lucky ones that got Grove wheels and brakes. Their pads and alignment are just slightly different than Cleveland, and after just speaking with Grove, I’ve now learned that the Grove wheels are custom to a small set of RV 10s and they are suggesting I have to order everything from them. I have had problems from the start with their pads sticking and being brittle and I want to get something like the Rapco discs and pads but my concern is that the discs and pads won’t fit my wheel and calipers. Does anyone else have Grove and have suggestions on what to do?

Thanks in advance.

Andy Johnson
N13UB

Sent from my iPhone

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Looking to upgrade from Grove discs and pads Reply with quote

Andy,

AWESOME on the Commercial! I saw that change in the rules and I think
it's great! No reason now NOT to get a commercial ticket. I sure wish
I would have had that option.

Good luck on the CFI ticket! Hopefully that will go well.
I know mine would have gone even better had I been able to use
the RV-10.

I can't answer on the Grove thing though. I have grove on the -14
but have no idea what to do about replacements other than that I
ordered my linings from Grove. And, whereas my first set of
linings on the -10 lasted 170 hours or so, as a newbie to
these planes, my first set only lasted just over 100 on the RV-14.
So I may be going thru them faster than normal on that plane.

Tim

On 05/02/2018 03:00 PM, Andrew Johnson wrote:
Quote:

Folks

I don’t often post on here but figured I would share an interesting development in the FAA rules and also query for some help on my brakes.

First, and inspired by Tim Olson, I just concluded my commercial checkride enroute to getting a CFI. What’s most noteworthy is that I was able to do all my checkride in my 10. FAA just eliminated the reqt for doing any part in a complex for commercial or CFI. Amusingly the arrow that I had been training with has been down for three weeks for a stick governor cable that caused me to abort my initial checkride during the run up. I’m going up for my CFI later this month with spin endorsement this weekend. Thank Tim.

Second I guess I’m one of the lucky ones that got Grove wheels and brakes. Their pads and alignment are just slightly different than Cleveland, and after just speaking with Grove, I’ve now learned that the Grove wheels are custom to a small set of RV 10s and they are suggesting I have to order everything from them. I have had problems from the start with their pads sticking and being brittle and I want to get something like the Rapco discs and pads but my concern is that the discs and pads won’t fit my wheel and calipers. Does anyone else have Grove and have suggestions on what to do?

Thanks in advance.

Andy Johnson
N13UB

Sent from my iPhone

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to upgrade from Grove discs and pads Reply with quote

Just so everyone's clear: The rule change applies to the check ride, only. Commercial applicants still need to have 10 hours of RG instruction logged. As far as I know this still has to be in an actual retractable gear airplane. (I have previously suggested that a -10, with a "gear up -gear down" switch that actually does nothing other than turn on or off a few lights, should be adequate. Maybe some software that produces horrible scrapping noises if you land "gear up". -Smile )

And, for the CFI: for the initial CFI certificate you need to go thru the FSDO, and they will either give you the check ride, or assign you to one of a few Designated examiners that they have approved for doing this. Does anyone know if the FSDO inspectors or "special" DPEs will fly in an EAB? I believe they have the right to say no.

noconwud(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Looking to upgrade from Grove discs and pads Reply with quote

Speaking from my own experience, the DPE I flew with was one of two at the
FSDO approved for doing CFI checkrides. And yes, he was willing to fly in
my 10. He took a few laps around it to check it out, but he was already
pretty familiar with RVs, and showed no apprehension to flying in it. As
you state, you still go to the main FSDO, and then the FSDO decides who goes
on your checkride. I'm still very optimistic I can do it in the 10. I know
of some inspectors that have said no to the normal certificated aircraft
because they deemed them unairworthy.

And he also stated the 10 hours 'complex' was still a rule that hadn't been
changed, but that it was being seriously looked at after the tragic accident
in Florida with an old Arrow being taken on a commercial checkride and
having a wing fall off.

--

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Looking to upgrade from Grove discs and pads Reply with quote

One addition to this:

Right now they're still HOPING to push thru something that allows
Technically Advanced Aircraft to qualify, rather than only complex.
That would be a huge boost. Hope that happens, as it would then make
it possible for an RV-10 owner to do both commercial and CFI in their
own plane, where it makes sense.

And, regarding the FSDO for CFI checkrides, I know that the common
statement is that all CFI checkrides are done with the FSDO.
That's still sort of true, but it does depend on the FSDO and
their personnel availability. When I did my CFI checride, I
did it with the Orlando FSDO but it was set up by my instructor
and a local DPE, who got the approval to do it. So, depending on
where you do the actual ride and who does your CFI training, it
may indeed not need to be with an FAA official employee, but a DPE.

I do agree with Bob that it may be that in some situations,
it would be hard to find an examiner who would ride in an
EAB. It's been a constant worry of mine for my daughter's
checkride. I've been told by many people not to worry because
they're sure that many of them would be happy to, and my
old DPE up here was happy to as well. But, they may be
a little more squeamish. Luckily I found a DPE an hour away
that owns a Rocket, so I didn't even call around, I just
decided to go to him. No bias that way.

Tim
On 05/02/2018 07:54 PM, Bob Turner wrote:
Quote:

Just so everyone's clear: The rule change applies to the check ride, only. Commercial applicants still need to have 10 hours of RG instruction logged. As far as I know this still has to be in an actual retractable gear airplane. (I have previously suggested that a -10, with a "gear up -gear down" switch that actually does nothing other than turn on or off a few lights, should be adequate. Maybe some software that produces horrible scrapping noises if you land "gear up". -Smile )

And, for the CFI: for the initial CFI certificate you need to go thru the FSDO, and they will either give you the check ride, or assign you to one of a few Designated examiners that they have approved for doing this. Does anyone know if the FSDO inspectors or "special" DPEs will fly in an EAB? I believe they have the right to say no.

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: