Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bicycle Tubing as a Source for Aircraft?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Homebuilt-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BruceClemens

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Bicycle Tubing as a Source for Aircraft? Reply with quote

Isn't bicycle tubing some sort of chrome moly? Would there be uses for bicycle tubing in homebuilt aircraft? Perhaps not in critical areas but other less- critical applications?
Cheap and readily available.
I did a search on this board for uses of bicycle tubing but nothing came up.
Would appreciate your opinions and answers!

- The Matronics Homebuilt-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Homebuilt-List
glen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Bicycle Tubing as a Source for Aircraft? Reply with quote

What alloy?

Quote:
On Jun 23, 2018, at 12:10 PM, BruceClemens <clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Isn't bicycle tubing some sort of chrome moly? Would there be uses for bicycle tubing in homebuilt aircraft? Perhaps not in critical areas but other less- critical applications?

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=481149#481149

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

BruceClemens

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bicycle Tubing as a Source for Aircraft? Reply with quote

[quote="glen"]What alloy?

Don't know, Glen. That's why I'm asking. Of course that's something we need to know for specific uses, but, if we don't know, can we use it for non critical uses and feel safe?

Have any members used bicycle tubes for things on their airplanes?
It is cheap and readily available.

gerry.vandyk(at)eastlink.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Bicycle Tubing as a Source for Aircraft? Reply with quote

What parts would you consider to be 'non-critical'? I have only my own
project to judge by, but I can't think of anything off hand that I would
consider replacing with 'other' material. Primary structure, not a
chance. Control system, nope. Proabably weld tabs. Can't think that
any significant savings would be realized. Then again, I had plenty of
off cuts from building the primary structure, it covered pretty much all
the other parts anyway.

Gerry

----

BruceClemens

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bicycle Tubing as a Source for Aircraft? Reply with quote

gerry.vandyk(at)eastlink. wrote:
What parts would you consider to be 'non-critical'? I have only my own
project to judge by, but I can't think of anything off hand that I would
consider replacing with 'other' material. Then again, I had plenty of
off cuts from building the primary structure, it covered pretty much all
the other parts anyway.

Gerry

----

Thank you, Gerry. You make much sense. With regard to "non-critical", I am thinking of things that do not deal with aerodynamic loads, or are load bearing components of the structure of the aircraft, of course.

You make perfect sense saying that one who builds a tubular airframe will have plenty of off-cuts to make ancillary components.

But, in my case, I am building an all-wood Peit. There are few metal tubes. Most seem to be in what I would call less-critical (e.g. non load bearing) uses, such as the control group including the sticks, the tube they connect to and the rudder bars.

I agree, I would never use unknown metal in the other metal parts such as engine mount, landing gear, gussets, or control hinges.

But in an Experimental aircraft is there really a need to use and pay for specific metals in parts that will perform flawlessly with at least as much certainty as the expensive stuff?

I just finished reading and saving a treatise about using used motorcycle wheels on a Piet landing gear. This, I think, is representative of the spirit of homebuilt experimental aircraft.

Some folks say that they would never fly with someone who used non aircraft-specific components on their product. But that would preclude them from flying with many very good homebuilders.

Thanks!

glen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Bicycle Tubing as a Source for Aircraft? Reply with quote

All I can add is food for thought. No one can say that substitution does work. Do you really want to be the first mouse? I’d rather b the second mouse

Quote:
On Jun 24, 2018, at 4:04 PM, BruceClemens <clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

gerry.vandyk(at)eastlink. wrote:
> What parts would you consider to be 'non-critical'? I have only my own
> project to judge by, but I can't think of anything off hand that I would
> consider replacing with 'other' material. Then again, I had plenty of
> off cuts from building the primary structure, it covered pretty much all
> the other parts anyway.
>
> Gerry
>
> ----

Thank you, Gerry. You make much sense. With regard to "non-critical", I am thinking of things that do not deal with aerodynamic loads, or are load bearing components of the structure of the aircraft, of course.

You make perfect sense saying that one who builds a tubular airframe will have plenty of off-cuts to make ancillary components.

But, in my case, I am building an all-wood Peit. There are few metal tubes. Most seem to be in what I would call less-critical (e.g. non load bearing) uses, such as the control group including the sticks, the tube they connect to and the rudder bars.

I agree, I would never use unknown metal in the other metal parts such as engine mount, landing gear, gussets, or control hinges.

But in an Experimental aircraft is there really a need to use and pay for specific metals in parts that will perform flawlessly with at least as much certainty as the expensive stuff?

I just finished reading and saving a treatise about using used motorcycle wheels on a Piet landing gear. This, I think, is representative of the spirit of homebuilt experimental aircraft.

Some folks say that they would never fly with someone who used non aircraft-specific components on their product. But that would preclude them from flying with many very good homebuilders.

Thanks!

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=481177#481177

lyleapgmc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Bicycle Tubing as a Source for Aircraft? Reply with quote

Not necessarily chrome moly but mild steel has been used for aircraft
structure before.  One issue with bicycle tubing is that it is often
much thicker than aircraft tubing, thus a weight problem.  There are
often few straight sections of tubing in a bicycle.  No length is long
enough to be useful for framing an aircraft.

Best thing is to check the price of tubing suitable for aircraft.
On 6/23/2018 2:10 PM, BruceClemens wrote:
Quote:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=481149#481149

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Homebuilt-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: