Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ignition Cable Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rleffler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Ignition Cable Question Reply with quote

One of the nuts on an ignition lead became gulled.

Is it possible just to replace the nut? Or do you have to replace the entire lead?

I saw Tim's post from a couple years ago.

It looks like buying the replacement lead, the tookit, and all the other parts cost about 80% of replacing both harnesses with new.

Thanks,

bob

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

Kellym

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Ignition Cable Question Reply with quote

Bob, I recall I had to construct a new lead. Fortunately I was able to
borrow the tools and had the pieces needed. You are right, you can get a
complete harness for one mag for about the same money and save a lot of
aggravation.

On 8/1/2018 7:12 PM, Bob Leffler wrote:
Quote:

Is it possible just to replace the nut? Or do you have to replace the entire lead?

It looks like buying the replacement lead, the tookit, and all the other parts cost about 80% of replacing both harnesses with new.

Thanks,

bob

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

neilekins(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Ignition Cable Question Reply with quote

Hey Bob.
I met you at the rv10 dinner for the first time. Any way I’ve seen the nuts replaced in no time by an a&p friend of mine. I have never done it myself. But if you got any descent a&p on your airfield I bet he has some old nuts that are in great shape. He could probably do it for 20 - 25 bucks. Neil

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 1, 2018, at 10:12 PM, Bob Leffler <bob(at)thelefflers.com> wrote:

Thanks,

bob

rleffler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Ignition Cable Question Reply with quote

Here’s a summary of what I discovered over the last couple of days.

Several people responded about just replacing the connector fittings at the end of the ignition cable. I also got a response from Joe Logie at Champion. His response was:

Just the plug end needs replacement M6203 5/8-24 Spark Plug Hardware Kit, attached is my L-1499 showing how to do it and the required T-200 tool kit usage.

So just a $27 kit from Spruce to make the repair. However, you do need the $289 toolkit to perform the repair.  This is the route I went. I figured the odds of this happening again justified the tool purchase. Plus it’s still the least expensive option.

Purchasing just a single replacement lead ( plus the tool ) cost as much as a half harness.

Nobody stocks the half harnesses and the lead time is thirty days, which costs $420.

I found a couple places that stocked the full harnesses. QAA was the least expensive that I found for a Champion harness, which was $620. QAA also sells Aero-Lite harnesses which are about $420. I found out from QAA that Aero-Lite harnesses are no longer in production and when their stock runs out, that’s it.

Get Outlook for iOS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Bob Leffler <bob(at)thelefflers.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 10:12:52 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Ignition Cable Question

--> RV10-List message posted by: Bob Leffler <bob(at)thelefflers.com>

Thanks,

bob

===========
Email Forum -
-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
===========
p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
ums.matronics.com
===========
p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
matronics.com
===========
p; - List Contribution Web Site -
p;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

neilekins(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Ignition Cable Question Reply with quote

Bob. You must be a tool guy. That’s 10 end replacements from a a(at)p who has the tools. But good info you send out. Thanks Neil

Sent from my iPhone

[quote] On Aug 3, 2018, at 5:40 AM, Bob Leffler <bob(at)thelefflers.com> wrote:

Here’s a summary of what I discovered over the last couple of days

rleffler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Ignition Cable Question Reply with quote

That and there’s not an A&P on the field that I trust to do electrical work. The local shop is actually being evicted at the end of the year, so there is a huge void at the moment.  The airport won’t let independents work unless they carry insurance with the airport as a co-insured.

Get Outlook for iOS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Neil Corella <neilekins(at)aol.com>
Sent: Friday, August 3, 2018 6:34:27 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Ignition Cable Question

Bob. You must be a tool guy. That’s 10 end replacements from a a(at)p who has the tools. But good info you send out. Thanks Neil

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 3, 2018, at 5:40 AM, Bob Leffler <bob(at)thelefflers.com (bob(at)thelefflers.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Several people responded about just replacing the connector fittings at the end of the ignition cable. I also got a response from Joe Logie at Champion. His response was:

Just the plug end needs replacement M6203 5/8-24 Spark Plug Hardware Kit, attached is my L-1499 showing how to do it and the required T-200 tool kit usage.

So just a $27 kit from Spruce to make the repair. However, you do need the $289 toolkit to perform the repair.  This is the route I went. I figured the odds of this happening again justified the tool purchase. Plus it’s still the least expensive option.

Purchasing just a single replacement lead ( plus the tool ) cost as much as a half harness.

Nobody stocks the half harnesses and the lead time is thirty days, which costs $420.

I found a couple places that stocked the full harnesses. QAA was the least expensive that I found for a Champion harness, which was $620. QAA also sells Aero-Lite harnesses which are about $420. I found out from QAA that Aero-Lite harnesses are no longer in production and when their stock runs out, that’s it.

Get Outlook for iOS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)> on behalf of Bob Leffler <bob(at)thelefflers.com (bob(at)thelefflers.com)>
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

--> RV10-List message posted by: Bob Leffler <bob(at)thelefflers.com (bob(at)thelefflers.com)>

Thanks,

bob

===========
Email Forum -
===========
ums.matronics.com
===========
matronics.com
===========
===========

neilekins(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Ignition Cable Question Reply with quote

Yes. That’s a problem.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 3, 2018, at 8:00 AM, Bob Leffler <bob(at)thelefflers.com (bob(at)thelefflers.com)> wrote:
Quote:
That and there’s not an A&P on the field that I trust to do electrical work. The local shop is actually being evicted at the end of the year, so there is a huge void at the moment.  The airport won’t let independents work unless they carry insurance with the airport as a co-insured.

Get Outlook for iOS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)> on behalf of Neil Corella <neilekins(at)aol.com (neilekins(at)aol.com)>

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 3, 2018, at 5:40 AM, Bob Leffler <bob(at)thelefflers.com (bob(at)thelefflers.com)> wrote:

Quote:

So just a $27 kit from Spruce to make the repair. However, you do need the $289 toolkit to perform the repair. This is the route I went. I figured the odds of this happening again justified the tool purchase. Plus it’s still the least expensive option.

Get Outlook for iOS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)> on behalf of Bob Leffler <bob(at)thelefflers.com (bob(at)thelefflers.com)>

--> RV10-List message posted by: Bob Leffler <bob(at)thelefflers.com (bob(at)thelefflers.com)>

Thanks,

bob

===========
Email Forum -
===========
ums.matronics.com
===========
matronics.com
===========
===========

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Ignition Cable Question Reply with quote

Good research Bob.  I haven't bought a complete harness in awhile...obviously prices have multiplied a few orders of magnitude.

While most airports prevent mechanics from working independently without insurance, most do allow you as the owner to bring your own mechanic to your plane and supervise said mechanic. Even better is when no money changes hands on the airport.

I only "help" friends on the airport, mostly "supervising" if they need an A&P signature, or helping them as needed. I don't charge them, but they occasionally "help" me with the check at local greasy spoon.

Maintenance on grant assurance airports gets fairly tricky. The airport can't restrict independents to any greater degree than whatever shop requirements are.
Most I have seen, the shop capacity for repairs/inspections equals 10-20 percent of what is needed to keep based aircraft flying. The rest get fixed and signed off some how...probably by "hangar fairies and elves"  or at other airports.

Mechanic insurance is a figment of airport administrator's imagination. Over 15 years ago I was quoted $12,000/yr as an IA for $1M. Most airport documents call for $2M. If I were to do 100 annuals a year, I would have to add $120 per plane just to come out even. 100 annuals is essentially working full time, doing nothing else. I have no idea what the rates are today. I like working on planes, but at age 70, I am not going to bust my butt to do 100 annuals a year. Most IAs I know work uninsured, risking all their assets.  Good thing most of this crowd can do their own work in the OBAM category.
Quote:
Sent from my IBM-360 main frame

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 5:00 AM, Bob Leffler <bob(at)thelefflers.com (bob(at)thelefflers.com)> wrote:
Quote:
That and there’s not an A&P on the field that I trust to do electrical work.  The local shop is actually being evicted at the end of the year, so there is a huge void at the moment.  The airport won’t let independents work unless they carry insurance with the airport as a co-insured.   

Get Outlook for iOS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)> on behalf of Neil Corella <neilekins(at)aol.com (neilekins(at)aol.com)>

Bob. You must be a tool guy.  That’s 10 end replacements from a a(at)p who has the tools.  But good info you send out.  Thanks Neil

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Several people responded about just replacing the connector fittings at the end of the ignition cable.   I also got a response from Joe Logie at Champion.  His response was:

So just a $27 kit from Spruce to make the repair.  However, you do need the $289 toolkit to perform the repair.  This is the route I went.  I figured the odds of this happening again justified the tool purchase.  Plus it’s still the least expensive option.

Purchasing just a single replacement lead ( plus the tool ) cost as much as  a half harness.

I found a couple places that stocked the full harnesses.  QAA was the least expensive that I found for a Champion harness, which was $620.  QAA also sells Aero-Lite harnesses which are about $420.   I found out from QAA that Aero-Lite harnesses are no longer in production and when their stock runs out, that’s it.

Get Outlook for iOS

Is it possible just to replace the nut?   Or do you have to replace the entire lead?

Thanks,

bob

===========
Email Forum -
===========
p;   - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
ums.matronics.com
===========
p;  - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
matronics.com
===========
p;                  -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
===========

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: