Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting beat up by NorCal ATC
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Getting beat up by NorCal ATC Reply with quote

Funny that I mentioned clearance strategies in the NYC area.  I just returned from a trip that included flying in and out of KFRG Republic Farmingdale LI.  My experience doesn't add anything to this discussion (Robert Jones laid out the best approach), but I'll share it as a slightly off-topic point of interest.

I suddenly had to fly into NYC on short notice.  Though my destination was in the Bronx  making KHPN Westchester Co the closest satellite AP, I chose to fly into KFRG because of IFR conditions.  I know from experience that coming from the south to KHPN will result in a minimum altitude run up through NJ in order to clear all the airline traffic into  Newark, LaGuardia and GA into Teterboro.  And while it is busy overhead it can even be busier down below with all the airports along that NJ corridor.  It can be a very uncomfortable flight VFR or IFR with rising terrain and low under the Class B shelf traffic.  Turned out KFRG was the right choice and managed to get a perfect little RNAV 01 'T' approach in actual logged.

Leaving KFRG (or KHPN) back to the south can be a breeze as well with routing directly over KJFK.  Flying that route VFR is always fun with great views of the City and big heavy overseas flights getting a turn towards Europe right after they spot the "RV at 6,000".  It's just cool!

However, the next leg ended up being NYC to Pittsburgh and that generally requires a northeast turn to Bridgeport  before a wide circumvention of NYC as you turn west.  I got the clearance from the tower and spent almost 15 minutes getting it all into FF so it could decipher the Victor airways and then into the G430. Though previous experience suggested I wouldn't hit many of the waypoints, traffic and weather were such that I didn't want to add any in the air workload.   I just added the new Sentry product to the cockpit so I now had Nexrad displayed on my panel GRTs and the FF iPad.  Seems redundant but I really like having both now.  Anyway there was a broken line of rainy build-ups but my cleared route was very doable.... then it suddenly wasn't.

I was cleared to taxi to the 01 but to hold for release from NY ATC.  Overhead a storm appeared in what was clear blue air 15 minutes ago.  It started to rain and the tower said it might be awhile, "there just isn't anywhere to squeeze you in according to NY".  I wasn't going to launch into what quickly turned into a gusty driving rain.  My wife had fortunately lingered after dropping me off and I joined her in the car after shutting down.  I still didn't believe that the storm appeared out of no where but playing it back on the iPad showed that it was exactly what happened, and it happened in 4 to 6 minutes.  Just amazing.

After 30 minutes or so the storm moved on a bit and I restarted and taxied out to the opposite runway only to hold for release once again.  I could easily see that all NYC traffic was now being funneled through just a few gaps in the storm line and they did not want to add me to the mix.

With darkness approaching and the chance that my departure be weather blocked again, I told the tower I was considering departing VFR and picking up my IFR in the air over Carmel.  They advised against it and warned me that they may not give it to me.  I studied the weather and a VFR plan B and considered it doable.  So I asked for a VFR departure and was cleared for takeoff squawking 1200.

"Well, NY Approach for some reason just released you, do you still have the original clearance?"  Oh yeah, I was 300' in the air still over the runway but with a wink and a nod the tower  let me know that my decision to depart motivated NY approach to let me in despite the jam.

I love NY ATC!  They are fast talking and attitude rich but I lived there for a dozen years and know that they will respond to a nudge or a beep of the horn better than a "please, no, after you".  Thanks for letting me win one!

(And if you want to hear NYC Approach doing it's thing so to speak, check this gem out from July Not angry NY ATC works Aer Lingus Flight )

Bill "back home with 2 more approaches in actual and a scud run to homeplate" Watson
N215TG

On 8/10/2018 6:58 PM, Bill Watson wrote:

Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com> (Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com)

Just one of those days when nothing lined up properly!

No need to overreact though.  I know I will continue to pickup clearances in the air in my uncongested piece of the country but I won't hesitate to do it elsewhere when needed.  Experience has suggested that it's not the best strategy say in the NYC area where you might get (quickly) scolded before (quickly) getting the clearance.  And it can be a handful around Miami where there's bound to be a dozen VFR targets orbiting your climb corridor while ATC tries to locate your plane and your plan.

I would suggest that if you include "IFR" somewhere in  your initial call-up, you won't be ignored, even in the busiest airspace.  And if you eliminate any mention of a opening an IFR flight plan you'll avoid much of what happened on that not so fateful day.

Thanks for sharing the experience, I definitely learned some stuff.

On 8/9/2018 5:33 PM, Dan Masys wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: "Dan Masys" <dmasys(at)u.washington.edu> (dmasys(at)u.washington.edu)

Thanks all for the educational input.  I definitely have an IFR departure
strategy now for this (and any) uncontrolled airport, particularly in
NorCal's jurisdiction: get a clearance plus void time release via phone
while on the ground, even if it is blue skies everywhere.  It eliminates the
issue of getting ignored during initial call-up, and saves any
misunderstanding caused by nonstandard radio phraseology.

A few additional details on my long story:

1. When the female controller issued my clearance and I read it back
correctly, the last thing she said was 'Maintain VFR.', which led me to
believe the IFR clearance was not yet active.

2. This was further reinforced when approximately ten minutes later I called
Oakland Center and their initial response was 'We don't have anything in the
system for you.'  After a pause the Center controller remarked, "Oh, here it
is", followed by "cleared direct TTE."

3. I also was concerned that initially I had been given a VFR squawk, and
asked the Center controller about it.  He confirmed that the initial code
given was an IFR code, which made the "maintain VFR" remark of the previous
controller even more curious.

But all of that notwithstanding, I know forevermore not to attempt to 'open
an IFR flight plan' even though that phraseology had worked without incident
literally for decades.

Tailwinds to all,
-Dan Masys

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
parish(at)parishmoffitt.c

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Getting beat up by NorCal ATC Reply with quote

Great story Bill.

I have heard some of the funniest things from NY controllers and I call two of them friends!  

I fly into LGA and JFK for work rather than fun at least once a month and I did it multiple times per day for a about a year at one point. I have heard this gentle nudging that you refer to on the ground frequency at LGA more than once!

Parish “glad to not be based in the North East anymore”

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bill Watson
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 4:32 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RE: Getting beat up by NorCal ATC

Funny that I mentioned clearance strategies in the NYC area. I just returned from a trip that included flying in and out of KFRG Republic Farmingdale LI. My experience doesn't add anything to this discussion (Robert Jones laid out the best approach), but I'll share it as a slightly off-topic point of interest.

I suddenly had to fly into NYC on short notice. Though my destination was in the Bronx making KHPN Westchester Co the closest satellite AP, I chose to fly into KFRG because of IFR conditions. I know from experience that coming from the south to KHPN will result in a minimum altitude run up through NJ in order to clear all the airline traffic into Newark, LaGuardia and GA into Teterboro. And while it is busy overhead it can even be busier down below with all the airports along that NJ corridor. It can be a very uncomfortable flight VFR or IFR with rising terrain and low under the Class B shelf traffic. Turned out KFRG was the right choice and managed to get a perfect little RNAV 01 'T' approach in actual logged.

Leaving KFRG (or KHPN) back to the south can be a breeze as well with routing directly over KJFK. Flying that route VFR is always fun with great views of the City and big heavy overseas flights getting a turn towards Europe right after they spot the "RV at 6,000". It's just cool!

However, the next leg ended up being NYC to Pittsburgh and that generally requires a northeast turn to Bridgeport before a wide circumvention of NYC as you turn west. I got the clearance from the tower and spent almost 15 minutes getting it all into FF so it could decipher the Victor airways and then into the G430. Though previous experience suggested I wouldn't hit many of the waypoints, traffic and weather were such that I didn't want to add any in the air workload. I just added the new Sentry product to the cockpit so I now had Nexrad displayed on my panel GRTs and the FF iPad. Seems redundant but I really like having both now. Anyway there was a broken line of rainy build-ups but my cleared route was very doable.... then it suddenly wasn't.

I was cleared to taxi to the 01 but to hold for release from NY ATC. Overhead a storm appeared in what was clear blue air 15 minutes ago. It started to rain and the tower said it might be awhile, "there just isn't anywhere to squeeze you in according to NY". I wasn't going to launch into what quickly turned into a gusty driving rain. My wife had fortunately lingered after dropping me off and I joined her in the car after shutting down. I still didn't believe that the storm appeared out of no where but playing it back on the iPad showed that it was exactly what happened, and it happened in 4 to 6 minutes. Just amazing.

After 30 minutes or so the storm moved on a bit and I restarted and taxied out to the opposite runway only to hold for release once again. I could easily see that all NYC traffic was now being funneled through just a few gaps in the storm line and they did not want to add me to the mix.

With darkness approaching and the chance that my departure be weather blocked again, I told the tower I was considering departing VFR and picking up my IFR in the air over Carmel. They advised against it and warned me that they may not give it to me. I studied the weather and a VFR plan B and considered it doable. So I asked for a VFR departure and was cleared for takeoff squawking 1200.

"Well, NY Approach for some reason just released you, do you still have the original clearance?" Oh yeah, I was 300' in the air still over the runway but with a wink and a nod the tower let me know that my decision to depart motivated NY approach to let me in despite the jam.

I love NY ATC! They are fast talking and attitude rich but I lived there for a dozen years and know that they will respond to a nudge or a beep of the horn better than a "please, no, after you". Thanks for letting me win one!

(And if you want to hear NYC Approach doing it's thing so to speak, check this gem out from July Not angry NY ATC works Aer Lingus Flight )

Bill "back home with 2 more approaches in actual and a scud run to homeplate" Watson
N215TG

Quote:

--> RV10-List message posted by: Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com> (Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com)

No need to overreact though. I know I will continue to pickup clearances in the air in my uncongested piece of the country but I won't hesitate to do it elsewhere when needed. Experience has suggested that it's not the best strategy say in the NYC area where you might get (quickly) scolded before (quickly) getting the clearance. And it can be a handful around Miami where there's bound to be a dozen VFR targets orbiting your climb corridor while ATC tries to locate your plane and your plan.

I would suggest that if you include "IFR" somewhere in your initial call-up, you won't be ignored, even in the busiest airspace. And if you eliminate any mention of a opening an IFR flight plan you'll avoid much of what happened on that not so fateful day.

Quote:

--> RV10-List message posted by: "Dan Masys" <dmasys(at)u.washington.edu> (dmasys(at)u.washington.edu)

Thanks all for the educational input. I definitely have an IFR departure
while on the ground, even if it is blue skies everywhere. It eliminates the

system for you.' After a pause the Center controller remarked, "Oh, here it

asked the Center controller about it. He confirmed that the initial code

literally for decades.

Tailwinds to all,
-Dan Masys

---

www.avast.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Getting beat up by NorCal ATC Reply with quote

I’ve had similar experiences when flying around busy airspace. They often want to dive you to a low altitude for arrivals, but I hate dropping 5000 feet in cruise. If the weather allows, I say I’ll just go VFR and climb 500’. Usually they either say that’s fine but keep your current squawk. Often enough they say they can keep me at my current altitude or give me a slight deviation and keep me high. They would much rather have you in the system and know who and where you are than have you squawking 1200 and doing whatever you feel like.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
352-427-0285
jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)
Sent from my iPad

On Aug 20, 2018, at 4:31 PM, Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com (Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Funny that I mentioned clearance strategies in the NYC area. I just returned from a trip that included flying in and out of KFRG Republic Farmingdale LI. My experience doesn't add anything to this discussion (Robert Jones laid out the best approach), but I'll share it as a slightly off-topic point of interest.

I suddenly had to fly into NYC on short notice. Though my destination was in the Bronx making KHPN Westchester Co the closest satellite AP, I chose to fly into KFRG because of IFR conditions. I know from experience that coming from the south to KHPN will result in a minimum altitude run up through NJ in order to clear all the airline traffic into Newark, LaGuardia and GA into Teterboro. And while it is busy overhead it can even be busier down below with all the airports along that NJ corridor. It can be a very uncomfortable flight VFR or IFR with rising terrain and low under the Class B shelf traffic. Turned out KFRG was the right choice and managed to get a perfect little RNAV 01 'T' approach in actual logged.

Leaving KFRG (or KHPN) back to the south can be a breeze as well with routing directly over KJFK. Flying that route VFR is always fun with great views of the City and big heavy overseas flights getting a turn towards Europe right after they spot the "RV at 6,000". It's just cool!

However, the next leg ended up being NYC to Pittsburgh and that generally requires a northeast turn to Bridgeport before a wide circumvention of NYC as you turn west. I got the clearance from the tower and spent almost 15 minutes getting it all into FF so it could decipher the Victor airways and then into the G430. Though previous experience suggested I wouldn't hit many of the waypoints, traffic and weather were such that I didn't want to add any in the air workload. I just added the new Sentry product to the cockpit so I now had Nexrad displayed on my panel GRTs and the FF iPad. Seems redundant but I really like having both now. Anyway there was a broken line of rainy build-ups but my cleared route was very doable.... then it suddenly wasn't.

I was cleared to taxi to the 01 but to hold for release from NY ATC. Overhead a storm appeared in what was clear blue air 15 minutes ago. It started to rain and the tower said it might be awhile, "there just isn't anywhere to squeeze you in according to NY". I wasn't going to launch into what quickly turned into a gusty driving rain. My wife had fortunately lingered after dropping me off and I joined her in the car after shutting down. I still didn't believe that the storm appeared out of no where but playing it back on the iPad showed that it was exactly what happened, and it happened in 4 to 6 minutes. Just amazing.

After 30 minutes or so the storm moved on a bit and I restarted and taxied out to the opposite runway only to hold for release once again. I could easily see that all NYC traffic was now being funneled through just a few gaps in the storm line and they did not want to add me to the mix.

With darkness approaching and the chance that my departure be weather blocked again, I told the tower I was considering departing VFR and picking up my IFR in the air over Carmel. They advised against it and warned me that they may not give it to me. I studied the weather and a VFR plan B and considered it doable. So I asked for a VFR departure and was cleared for takeoff squawking 1200.

"Well, NY Approach for some reason just released you, do you still have the original clearance?" Oh yeah, I was 300' in the air still over the runway but with a wink and a nod the tower let me know that my decision to depart motivated NY approach to let me in despite the jam.

I love NY ATC! They are fast talking and attitude rich but I lived there for a dozen years and know that they will respond to a nudge or a beep of the horn better than a "please, no, after you". Thanks for letting me win one!

N215TG

Quote:

No need to overreact though. I know I will continue to pickup clearances in the air in my uncongested piece of the country but I won't hesitate to do it elsewhere when needed. Experience has suggested that it's not the best strategy say in the NYC area where you might get (quickly) scolded before (quickly) getting the clearance. And it can be a handful around Miami where there's bound to be a dozen VFR targets orbiting your climb corridor while ATC tries to locate your plane and your plan.

I would suggest that if you include "IFR" somewhere in your initial call-up, you won't be ignored, even in the busiest airspace. And if you eliminate any mention of a opening an IFR flight plan you'll avoid much of what happened on that not so fateful day.

Quote:

Thanks all for the educational input. I definitely have an IFR departure
while on the ground, even if it is blue skies everywhere. It eliminates the

system for you.' After a pause the Center controller remarked, "Oh, here it

asked the Center controller about it. He confirmed that the initial code

literally for decades.

Tailwinds to all,
-Dan Masys

---

www.avast.com
[url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: