Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elevator Pushrod Rod End

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Elevator Pushrod Rod End Reply with quote

Hey all,

I know I've heard of this happening with at least 1 other builder (I
think 2) that I know of. There's a thread on VAF where Scott
says it's the "first time" as we generally hear.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=1280755#post1280755

I'd like to remember who it was that all reported this issue
where the elevator rod end unscrewed after the safety wire
broke.

Anyone?
Tim

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Bob Turner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevator Pushrod Rod End Reply with quote

Tim,
I think the title is a bit misleading. It’s a pushrod in the elevator control system, but the rod end bearing in question is at the front, near the stick, not near the elevator.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

davehead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevator Pushrod Rod End Reply with quote

My elevator rod end (forward end) did not unscrew, but I did find the safety wire broke after about 2 years of flying. The jam nut was still tight so the bearing did not unscrew from the pushrod. I concluded that I had installed the safety wire too tight ….. I’m not saying it was twisted too many turns per inch, but I suspect that I had stretched it too tight from where it attaches to the end of the pushrod, to the AN4 bolt that captures it at the rod-end bearing. The wire might have become pinched or chafed between the bearing and the Control Column clevis. Or movement of the pushrod and Control Column might impose some extra stretch at certain extreme positions. So I reinstalled the safety wire with a little slack, and it’s been OK for about 4 years now.
--Dave
RV10

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevator Pushrod Rod End Reply with quote

davehead wrote:
The wire might have become pinched or chafed between the bearing and the Control Column clevis. Or movement of the pushrod and Control Column might impose some extra stretch at certain extreme positions.
RV10

Hi Dave!
I think that if you think about this very carefully, you'll see that if the safety wire was installed properly (not pinched by the clevis and rod end) then it does not stretch with control movement. But if it was pinned between the clevis and rod end, then it is possible for it to stretch and also flex with control movement. The wire should not go over the AN bolt; it should go completely around the inner part of the rod end, up against the outer bearing race. In this position there should be no force on the wire, despite control movement, unless the jam nuts fail to do their job.
Do you recall where your wire originally broke? And were you able to pull the wire out of the clevis/rod end with minimal force, or was it pinched in there?
I'm wondering if, next time I'm in there, I should back off the jam nuts and re-install with locktite?
Bob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: