Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help please! Looking for CJ over the road towing options.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Off2wildblue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Help please! Looking for CJ over the road towing options. Reply with quote

I am looking at getting a CJ and having the current owner fly it to my local airport. Then having another experienced CJ owner help me remove the wings and have it towed or hauled to my home shop so I can strip it, paint it and work on the electronics.

Any and all advice and pictures are welcomed! The distance is about 40 miles. I am really looking for pictures of CJ's on a trailer or lowboys being hauled. I know you need to modify existing trailers but options to do so would be great to hear about or see pics of.

You can email me off line or post them here.

I am new to the CJ world but excited to become more apart of it.

Thanks for any and all help or direction to people with more information.

SAM

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
PS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Help please! Looking for CJ over the road towing options. Reply with quote

To lift the CJ we used straps attached to plates which were made to match the wing spar holes top and bottom and fore and aft. We used a rented small crane to lift the plane. In the past we used a 2000 lb crane on the back of my buddies work truck. As far as a trailer, a lowboy works fine and they are easy to find. Do not forget to lower the tail by lifting the nose wheel to give the clearance needed in height.

Phil
On Oct 17, 2018, at 2:20 PM, Junkhead <Junkheademail(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

I am looking at getting a CJ and having the current owner fly it to my local airport. Then having another experienced CJ owner help me remove the wings and have it towed or hauled to my home shop so I can strip it, paint it and work on the electronics.

Any and all advice and pictures are welcomed! The distance is about 40 miles. I am really looking for pictures of CJ's on a trailer or lowboys being hauled. I know you need to modify existing trailers but options to do so would be great to hear about or see pics of.

You can email me off line or post them here.

I am new to the CJ world but excited to become more apart of it.

Thanks for any and all help or direction to people with more information.

SAM

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=483847#483847

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Off2wildblue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! Looking for CJ over the road towing options Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

Do you happen to have any pictures of the attachments you made to the wing spar?

It seems like you could use a car trailer and pull it with a pick up. And it basically weighs less than a boat or pickup. The wheelbase would need the extensions off the sides of the trailer but the length from the mains to the front would be adequate on most car trailers.

Thoughts?

SAM

A35plt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Help please! Looking for CJ over the road towing options Reply with quote

I would pull the wings and vertical tail and tow it. If you pm me I can send you a picture of the towbar I have that I use to pull my CJ around the airport in and out of the hangar and to the wash rack.

Off2wildblue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! Looking for CJ over the road towing options Reply with quote

I just wanted to say thanks to everybody that sent me a message and helped me out. You gave some great ideas. I ended up using a 16 foot trailer with 8 inch wide C-channel side ramps. The square tubing that ran across the ramp were a quarter inch thick. The setup works fantastic.

SAM

6F7CC430-D7C2-4791-AF98-A7EAE669A5E2.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.43 MB
 Viewed:  3506 Time(s)

6F7CC430-D7C2-4791-AF98-A7EAE669A5E2.jpeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: