Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flap hinge FL9 bearing fit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n7188u

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Flap hinge FL9 bearing fit Reply with quote

Dear Forum Members,

My flap hinge plates (W19, 20 , 21) where painted and there is paint in the holes where the FL9 bearing is installed. I reamed one using a nominal 0.375" reamer and found that the bearing OD is 0.375" (or slightly smaller) so it is now a slip fit (most sleeve bearing are usually slightly oversize (0.001") to achieve a slight press fit). So I just bonded that bearing with Loctite 638 but, before I ream any more holes, I wonder if anyone remembers if these bearing normally have a slight press fit of they are indeed a slip fit and rely on the Loctite to be held in place. I will order an undersized reamer if necessary (I would assume a slight press fit is desirable over a slip fit).

Also, I am in the process of fitting the flaps to the wings. I noticed less than perfect alignment between the position of the hinge plates and the W18 supports in the ribs (if you follow the manual). The good news for me is that since the plates in the flaps (FL1, 2, 3) are not in yet I can adjust the position of the ones at each end (except the center one which is obviously fixated to the center rib). By adjusting the depth of the rebates at the flap root and tip I can make the plates align properly (which is what I will do) but that means the flap may move outboard slightly (possibly around 5mm, if I try to place the FL# flap hinge plate on the same side as the W18 plate, which I know is not mandatory but probably nice). Any concerns about the length of the flap actuation cross tube ending up a little short if the flaps move out slightly or is that tube longer than needed and needs to be trimmed (the logical scenario). Any advise or experiences (pictures) of your flap hinge alignment issues would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Chris Martin

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Flap hinge FL9 bearing fit Reply with quote

Chris,

Chapter 9, Fig 27 shows the FL9 bushing is installed with loctite. We didn’t paint the aluminum parts, so no reaming was necessary. It’s been 15 years, so we could be wrong, but it seems like it was a snug, but not press, fit.

Chapter 9, Fig 18 shows that FL19 and FL20 are mounted inboard of W18 and FL1 or FL2 but the sketch Fig 27 implies they are outboard of W18. We had completed the install of FL1 & FL2 in the flap prior to mating to the wing. To get proper alignment of the flap to the wing, our FL19 (inboard) is mounted inboard of W18 and FL1 is mounted outboard of FL19 and in the center, FL20 (center) is mounted outboard of W18 and FL2 is mounted inboard of FL20. Not aesthetically pleasing, but it works.

We didn’t find it necessary to trim flap tube FL15.

Be sure to also note that W18 for the outboard flap hinge and outrigger has three holes in it, not two like the inboards ones (see Chapter 9, Fig 12). This is apparently often missed.

We incorporated Europa Club Mod 10661, Outrigger Pivot Bearing, during the build and it has worked well.

Hope this helps.
Jim & Heather

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

n7188u

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Flap hinge FL9 bearing fit Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Jim (or Heather Smile ).

I measured the FL9 bushings and they are all around .374" (undersize). My plates where powder coated at one point in the kit's life and it was quite hard to remove from holes. I debated getting an undersized reamer ($$$) but not really knowing which size to make the hole I just resorted to using a very fine small sanding drum in the dremel and a light touch to remove the coat from the hole. Worked well ok but would rather use a reamer. The fit of the bushings is good but some are slight press and some slide in. Hopefully loctite will do its job and, if problems arise in the future, it is always easy to repair these parts (machining oversize bushings).

Regarding flap hinges, will take what you describe of your flap install and check mine. I can make it fit perfect because I haven't installed any plates in the flaps yet. I can adjust the depth of the tip and root rebates and make things fit just right. Again, the concern is that if I displace the flap outboard a little to make things fit properly then the flap torque tube could end up being a little short. It's just me not knowing exactly how things fit at that stage of the build. Just thinking ahead. I will go to the hangar now and try to determine if the length of the flap control tube will allow a little fiddling of the flap position. It really should as I think some tolerance in the build should be allowed.

Again thanks for the feedback and pressing on! Hoping to have the wings finished by early months of next year at which point I will have a mostly complete structure. Then the 10:90 rule will apply and I will still have 90% of the build time ahead of me Smile

Chris Martin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: