Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wiring Harness Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedy11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Wiring Harness Questions Reply with quote

Gentlemen (no offense to any women who might monitor this forum),

Aircraft = RV-8
I have removed old EFIS, autopilot, transponder, and radio equipment and I am replacing it with newer stuff. The electrical system is 12 volt.
I am installing:
Advanced Flight 5800

GTN650

ARINC 429

Dynon Com 425 VHF radio

Dynon autopilot

PS Engineering PDA360EX remote audio panel

Echo UAT

I am building a wiring harness to allow the PDA360EX to talk to the GTN650 and Com 425 radio and AFS5800.

I have called each of the manufacturers asking for information to correctly wire the harness. Of course, Garmin will not even talk to me. I called AFS and they say - you need to call PS Engineering. I called PS Engineering and they say - you need to call AFS. Same results with Dynon. Everyone points the finger at the other company and nobody wants to be bothered.

So, I am here to ask if anyone has made a harness between the PDA360EX and a GTN650. If so, perhaps you can give me some guidance. Or perhaps you know of someone who will build the harness for a reasonable price. My local avionics shop wants $800. I understand it is not worth their time and they have to make money to stay open, but that price is too high. PS Engineering will not build a harness for me. AFS and others (haven't checked with Steinair) also want a rather steep price. But, if you know of someone who can make the harness for a reasonable price, I am willing to pay for it to be built.

However, I am going to press on as if I am going to do the entire build myself. I have numerous questions about the connections, so I will ask about a few wires at a time then go and pin them and come back and ask the next question. Maybe, over time, I will be able to eat this elephant one bite at a time.

1. On the PDA360EX audio panel J1 wiring diagram, it lists connections from Com 1 (GTN650 in my case) as being
Com 1 audio Hi

Com 1 Lo

Com 1 MIC Audio Hi

Com 1 MIC Key

On the GTN650, the P1001 connector has the following
Audio Out HI - pin 4

Audio Out Lo - pin 23

And on the P1003 (Com) connector it has

Com MIC 1 Audio IN HI - pin 5

500 ohm Com Audio HI - pin 7

Com MIC 1 Key - pin 11

500 ohm Com Audio LO - pin 18

MIC Audio IN LO - pin 20

I am familiar with the requirement to use shielded 2 and 3 wire cables and the requirement to tie the shield grounds together at the audio panel end and ONLY at that end.
But, can I assume that PDA360EX Com 1 Audio Hi connects to GTN650 Audio Out HI?
Can I assume that PDA360EX Com 1 LO connects to GTN650 Audio Out LO?
Can I assume that PDA360EX Com 1 MIC Audio Hi connects to GTN650 Com MIC 1 Audio IN HI?
Can I assume that PDA360EX Com 1 MIC Key connects to GTN650 Com MIC 1 Key?
What are the 500 ohm Com Audio HI and LO used for, if anything?

In advance, thanks for your help. I will digest these answers, do the wiring, and come back with more questions.

Thanks,
Stan Sutterfield
Daytona Beach

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: