Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aft CG?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Aft CG? Reply with quote

<<...>> <<...>> <<...>>
I ran across a few photos of my original Firestar, 1985, during a complete rebuild winter 1987/88. If you notice, that is an 18 gal 5052 aluminum fuel tank situated behind the main bulkhead. Guessing about 125 lbs total fuel, tank, and Facet Pump. On long cross country flights a lot of gear was shoved under the tank in my now available cargo compartment, all behind the main bulkhead.
No, I didn't put a heavy battery in the nose (not installed) or lead weight to counterbalance the fuel tank. Aircraft was perfectly balanced and a joy to fly. All flying surfaces were built to plans. Also had a ton of two part Aerothane paint and dope on it. Have no idea where the paper CG was. Never did a weight and balance on the FS.
No adverse pitch problems 30 years ago.
john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

scan0004.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  296.33 KB
 Viewed:  2256 Time(s)

scan0004.jpg

scan0003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  325.92 KB

scan0003.jpg

scan0002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  340.55 KB

scan0002.jpg

Titus, Alabama
gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Aft CG? Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures, John I think that’s the largest fuel tank I’ve ever seen on a original FS.
I have a custom made aluminum tank in my Firestar.
It’s vented to not except more then 5 gallons. It originally held 6 gallons. I’m in the process of making a removable panel for easier access to it. I developed a small crack in the a upper seam in it this year so I had to cut the Stitts off part of the rear firewall. Mine is a 1986 built to plans kit. Also Aerothane. Stills flies great after all these years. I did switch out the 377 for a new 2702 Hirth last winter. It’s still great little long distance flyer. [img]cid:5F8B2FE5-308D-46BA-8943-15CDBAF44383[/img]
George H
Firestar, FS100, 2702 Hirth
14GDH
Mesick, Michigan
gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)
Do Not Archive

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 8, 2018, at 9:28 PM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Aft CG?
<<..>> <<...>> <<...>>
I ran across a few photos of my original Firestar, 1985, during a complete rebuild winter 1987/88. If you notice, that is an 18 gal 5052 aluminum fuel tank situated behind the main bulkhead. Guessing about 125 lbs total fuel, tank, and Facet Pump. On long cross country flights a lot of gear was shoved under the tank in my now available cargo compartment, all behind the main bulkhead.
No, I didn't put a heavy battery in the nose (not installed) or lead weight to counterbalance the fuel tank. Aircraft was perfectly balanced and a joy to fly. All flying surfaces were built to plans. Also had a ton of two part Aerothane paint and dope on it. Have no idea where the paper CG was. Never did a weight and balance on the FS.
No adverse pitch problems 30 years ago.
john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama
<scan0004.jpg>
<scan0003.jpg>
<scan0002.jpg>

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

image1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  882.42 KB
 Viewed:  2251 Time(s)

image1.jpeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: