Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HKS Exhaust

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickofudall

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: HKS Exhaust Reply with quote

Bill, Something got me thinking last night after I wrote to you about my experience with props on a completely non prop notion. I went digging in my HKS file and found what I was looking for.Measure your exhaust from exhaust port to the join (collector) of the two pipes. This distance should be 500 mm (~19.68"). If it's more or less than that there's your problem. This distance was shared by the HKS importer with a fellow on the HKS forum. Contact Mark Bierle at Earth Aircraft for advice, too. He's done a lot of research into HKS exhaust pipes working correctly. You could also try and find a mechanic with a tailpipe sniffer to see what the compounds in your engine's exhaust pipe are. My guess is that a lot of the engines intake charge is either being blocked by a reflected wave or being over scavenged by that wave. With math calculations that would make my head hurt you could also determine when that wave arrives relative to the crankshaft rotation and valve timing.
Rick

--
“Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”   Groucho Marx

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

rickofudall

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: HKS Exhaust Reply with quote

Here's the original post;"We contacted HKS in Japan about exhaust system requirements and received a reply back from an HKS engineer. He said the headers need to merge at 500mm for proper scavenging and the length after the merge was not critical though he noted that installations with excessively long pipes after the merge had experienced rough idling issues. As far as individual headers with no merge, there was an HKS on a Skyraider at OshKosh years ago that had independent headers going to super trapp mufflers. They had a difficult time getting the engine to run well and it was way off on power. Jim routed my exhaust tubes to merge as close to 500mm as room would allow in the cowling and my engine runs fantastic. Right after the merge he rolled a simple muffler can with no baffles and its pretty quiet."
Rick
On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 7:46 AM Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com (aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Bill, Something got me thinking last night after I wrote to you about my experience with props on a completely non prop notion. I went digging in my HKS file and found what I was looking for.Measure your exhaust from exhaust port to the join (collector) of the two pipes. This distance should be 500 mm (~19.68"). If it's more or less than that there's your problem. This distance was shared by the HKS importer with a fellow on the HKS forum. Contact Mark Bierle at Earth Aircraft for advice, too. He's done a lot of research into HKS exhaust pipes working correctly. You could also try and find a mechanic with a tailpipe sniffer to see what the compounds in your engine's exhaust pipe are. My guess is that a lot of the engines intake charge is either being blocked by a reflected wave or being over scavenged by that wave. With math calculations that would make my head hurt you could also determine when that wave arrives relative to the crankshaft rotation and valve timing.
Rick

--

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: HKS Exhaust Reply with quote

Well, now Rick we may be on to something. Jerry Olenik sent me an e-mail a coupld of years ago that said he THOUGHT he remembered the distance should be 24 inches, and that is what we built my exhaust to. I will measure it again today to be sure that it is 24 inches.

The whole "exhaust thing" with me started because I could not install the stock OEM system on my Kolb without it hitting the wings as they fold.Otherwise I would have installed the OEM system and been done with it years ago.

Bill Berle
www.ezflaphandle.com  - safety & performance upgrade for light aircraft
www.grantstar.net           - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

--------------------------------------------
On Wed, 11/21/18, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: HKS Exhaust
To: "kolb-list(at)matronics.com" <kolb-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Wednesday, November 21, 2018, 8:00 AM

Here's
the original post;"We
contacted HKS in Japan about exhaust system requirements and
received a reply back from an HKS engineer. He said the
headers need to merge at 500mm for proper scavenging and the
length after the merge was not critical though he noted that
installations with excessively long pipes after the merge
had experienced rough idling issues. As far as individual
headers with no merge, there was an HKS on a Skyraider at
OshKosh years ago that had independent headers going to
super trapp mufflers. They had a difficult time getting the
engine to run well and it was way off on power. Jim routed
my exhaust tubes to merge as close to 500mm as room would
allow in the cowling and my engine runs fantastic. Right
after the merge he rolled a simple muffler can with no
baffles and its pretty quiet."
Rick

On Wed, Nov
21, 2018 at 7:46 AM Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com>
wrote:
Bill, Something got me thinking last night after I
wrote to you about my experience with props on a completely
non prop notion. I went digging in my HKS file and found
what I was looking for.Measure your exhaust from
exhaust port to the join (collector) of the two pipes. This
distance should be 500 mm (~19.68"). If it's more
or less than that there's your problem. This distance
was shared by the HKS importer with a fellow on the HKS
forum. Contact Mark Bierle at Earth Aircraft for advice,
too. He's done a lot of research into HKS exhaust pipes
working correctly. You could also try and find a mechanic
with a tailpipe sniffer to see what the compounds in your
engine's exhaust pipe are. My guess is that a lot of the
engines intake charge is either being blocked by a reflected
wave or being over scavenged by that wave. With math
calculations that would make my head hurt you could also
determine when that wave arrives relative to the crankshaft
rotation and valve timing.
Rick

--
“Blessed are
the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”   Groucho
Marx

--
“Blessed are
the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”   Groucho
Marx

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: HKS Exhaust Reply with quote

The exhaust thing is pretty important. When I modified the exhaust on the 277 for the FF, I found a tapered cone from a hot rod shop that allowed me to approximate the distance/taper described in an old LEAF catalog for the 277 exhaust. So I made it to what I thought was the right length.
Makes good power, but it will not settle down at a constant throttle setting between 4700 and 5300 rpm. it will slowly speed up or slow down, but never constant. David redid all the math and the taper was perfect but I had made it 9/8" too long. Duh.
Another project. Be redoing it soon.
But yeah - I think you may have hit on something.

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: