Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Securing the aircraft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdaniell.longport(at)gmai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Securing the aircraft Reply with quote

Has anyone got a clever solution for securing the aircraft doors - for example in a strange airport  overnight?
thanks
Will
William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Securing the aircraft Reply with quote

Hi Will,Although I did put door locks in place, I came to the conclusion that if someone wanted to break in, they would do more damage to the aircraft as compared to what they may take. I always take my EUROPA Cover with me and use it as a deterrent and to keep the weather out. Always remove my headsets and anything else of value.
The locking device I used was flimsy and not strong enough as a deterrent and would leave me stranded if broken into with door not closing.
Cheers,
Tim

Tim Ward12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz (ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz)
Mob +64 210640221

On 29/11/2018, at 12:38 PM, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com (wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone got a clever solution for securing the aircraft doors - for example in a strange airport overnight?
thanks
Will
William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Securing the aircraft Reply with quote

I think the only semi effective lock would be one which uncouples the latch handles from the shoot bolts. I've not yet found such a solution but keep looking. Mine might end up being self-designed.
Cheers,
Pete

On Nov 28, 2018, at 6:57 PM, Tim Ward <ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz (ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Will,Although I did put door locks in place, I came to the conclusion that if someone wanted to break in, they would do more damage to the aircraft as compared to what they may take. I always take my EUROPA Cover with me and use it as a deterrent and to keep the weather out. Always remove my headsets and anything else of value.
The locking device I used was flimsy and not strong enough as a deterrent and would leave me stranded if broken into with door not closing.
Cheers,
Tim

Tim Ward12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand
Mob +64 210640221

On 29/11/2018, at 12:38 PM, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com (wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone got a clever solution for securing the aircraft doors - for example in a strange airport overnight?
thanks
Will
William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Securing the aircraft Reply with quote

Door locks and photos were presented some time ago by me and others. Check the archives.

Bud Yerly

Bud Yerly

Custom Flight Creations

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 6:38:34 PM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Securing the aircraft

thanks
Will
William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Securing the aircraft Reply with quote

I agree. A cover is an effective disincentive to a light fingered passer by(and I think they are rare on airfields). And a lock would not stop the sort of professional thief who sets out to steal your engine. David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2018-11-28 23:57, Tim Ward wrote:
Quote:
Hi Will, Although I did put door locks in place, I came to the conclusion that if someone wanted to break in, they would do more damage to the aircraft as compared to what they may take. I always take my EUROPA Cover with me and use it as a deterrent and to keep the weather out. Always remove my headsets and anything else of value.

Cheers,
Tim Tim Ward 12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand

Mob +64 210640221

Quote:
thanks
Will
William Daniell
LONGPORT +57 310 295 0744

Ivor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Securing the aircraft Reply with quote

Hi what I did more from a visual point of view is added a bracket to the
Rear of the outside handle that I subsequently drilled a hole vertical down
Through both handle and bracket so a padlock could be used,
It’s a good deterrent IMO but obviously wouldn’t stop a determined toe rag

I also use a cover when left at a unattended airfield,

EDD613D9-DF07-4AB7-AC9C-1BBFA2FF9338.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  913.72 KB
 Viewed:  5513 Time(s)

EDD613D9-DF07-4AB7-AC9C-1BBFA2FF9338.jpeg

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Securing the aircraft Reply with quote

Will,
I agree with Tim. No door locks. But when I travel I carry my cover to protect the aircraft windscreen and to deter snoopers.

Blue skies & tailwinds,Bob BorgerEuropa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (130 hrs).Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP, Hercules Prop.3705 Lynchburg Dr.Corinth, TX 76208-5331Cel: 817-992-1117rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)On Nov 28, 2018, at 5:38 PM, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com (wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
thanks
Will
William Daniell
LONGPORT+57 310 295 0744

h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Securing the aircraft Reply with quote

Will,

We have door locks but they are not all that strong. Someone once said locks only keep honest people out.

The biggest deterrent are our Kennon Sun Shields. They fit inside the windows and prevent people looking to see what avionics are fitted. They make a huge difference in interior temperature. In Florida you'll find that a great feature.

In flight we use Pilot Armour Copper overhead sun screens. We have four of them that we position as needed.

Jim & Heather

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Securing the aircraft Reply with quote

Roger that - cover it is then.
Will
William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744
On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 3:36 PM Robert Borger <rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Will,

I agree with Tim.  No door locks.  But when I travel I carry my cover to protect the aircraft windscreen and to deter snoopers.  
Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (130 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP, Hercules Prop.
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)

On Nov 28, 2018, at 5:38 PM, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com (wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Has anyone got a clever solution for securing the aircraft doors - for example in a strange airport  overnight?
thanks
Will
William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: