Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Purging oil system / Coolant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eoinmaguire(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Purging oil system / Coolant Reply with quote

Hi all

Just after completing the 5 year hose replacement on our Europa and I’m just wondering does anyone have answers for the following :

1. My oil system has a thermostat in line, just wondering when purging as the oil will be cold am I effectively only purging half the system as it,ll bypass the oil coolers ? Or is there another method of doing it?

2. Do I need to purge the coolant system or once I fill with new fluid is that me done ?

Kind Regards
Eoin

Sent from my iPad

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Purging oil system / Coolant Reply with quote

Hi! Eoin,
For your thermostat to work by sensing the oil temperature there must be a small by pass to allow hot oil to begin to heat the THERMOSTAT for it to begin to work and allow more hot oil through. Unfortunately the process of purging the oil cooler matrix will take longer since a considerable amount of oil/air will need to pass through the small orifice.
Yes the coolant will need purging but it relies on you starting the engine and allowing it to cool a few times and topping up the reservoir to level ( assuming that the cap seals are undamaged and appropriate poundage.)
I just used my small aircraft tyre inflater to pressure the top of the oil tank to push the air out of the oil cooler but it surprised me how long the process took to get the air to gurgle through back to the tank whilst turning the prop. .... and that was after motoring (ignitions OFF ) with an ignition plug removed from each cylinder on the starter . But there was no doubt the air was removed by one hell of a gurgle !!!!

Best wishes
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

eoinmaguire(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Purging oil system / Coolant Reply with quote

Thanks Bob

Took a little bit longer to purge the system with the thermostat in line (easily 100 rotations of the prop) before I saw oil coming through the return line and oil pressure on the gauge but sorted now.

Might be of interest to the group as well but we replaced the mechanical fuel pump with the newer rotax one, I’ve seen people saying there’s been issues with them not fitting, ours was close but it does fit without touching !

Kind Regards
Eoin

Sent from my iPhone

[quote] On 28 Feb 2019, at 09:28, Bob Harrison <ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net> wrote:

Hi! Eoin,
For your thermostat to work by sensing the oil temperature there must be a small by pass to allow hot oil to begin to heat the THERMOSTAT for it to begin to work and allow more hot oil through. Unfortunately the process of purging the oil cooler matrix will take longer since a considerable amount of oil/air will need to pass through the small orifice.
Yes the coolant will need purging but it relies on you starting the engine and allowing it to cool a few times and topping up the reservoir to level ( assuming that the cap seals are undamaged and appropriate poundage.)
I just used my small aircraft tyre inflater to pressure the top of the oil tank to push the air out of the oil cooler but it surprised me how long the process took to get the air to gurgle through back to the tank whilst turning the prop. .... and that was after motoring (ignitions OFF ) with an ignition plug removed from each cylinder on the starter . But there was no doubt the air was removed by one hell of a gurgle !!!!

Best wishes
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: