Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No progress on Piet BUT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pietenpol-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: No progress on Piet BUT Reply with quote

I have personally stalled out on my Piet restoration. Several reasons, but none really sufficient.  

However, I can sure use your prayers, I do my CFI check ride Tuesday! I am ready but quite nervous. The CFI check ride had the highest failure rate of them all. 
Upon getting my CFI I will refocus on finishing my Piet and moving it to my current hangar.

- The Matronics Pietenpol-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List
jarheadpilot82

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: No progress on Piet BUT Reply with quote

You will do fine, but our prayers are with you. Just CFI or CFII also?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Terry Hand
Athens, GA
pietflyer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: No progress on Piet BUT Reply with quote

Steve,  The CFI checkride is the only one I’ve ever failed.  Turns out, the Greensboro FSDO has an unwritten policy that NOBODY passes the CFI checkride on their first attempt.  They don’t want a bunch of cocky instructors running around.  So they humble you.

I had gone all through the checkride nearly flawlessly, until the very last item – a short field takeoff.  I was flying a Cherokee Arrow on a hot day and the darn thing just wouldn’t climb.  The examiner failed me because I didn’t retract the gear immediately, helping it to climb.  Of course, had I retracted the gear immediately he would have failed me for retracting the gear before I had established a positive rate of climb.  They’ll get you either way.  The good news is, when I went back (after “remedial instruction”), all I had to demonstrate was one short field takeoff and I got the ticket.

Good luck!

Jack Phillips, CFI, CFII
Pietenpol NX899JP, currently flying
RV-10 N142KW, heading to the paint shop – should fly within a month.

From: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Steven Dortch
Sent: Saturday, April 6, 2019 9:34 AM
To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: No progress on Piet BUT

I have personally stalled out on my Piet restoration. Several reasons, but none really sufficient.

However, I can sure use your prayers, I do my CFI check ride Tuesday! I am ready but quite nervous. The CFI check ride had the highest failure rate of them all.

Upon getting my CFI I will refocus on finishing my Piet and moving it to my current hangar.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: No progress on Piet BUT Reply with quote

Just CFI. CFI I later.

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019, 9:37 AM jarheadpilot82 <jarheadpilot82(at)hotmail.com (jarheadpilot82(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Pietenpol-List message posted by: "jarheadpilot82" <jarheadpilot82(at)hotmail.com (jarheadpilot82(at)hotmail.com)>

--------
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=488572#488572

===========
br> enpol-List" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

Dawg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: No progress on Piet BUT Reply with quote

If he attempts to fail you on such a silly thing, make sure you ask him to show you where in the reg’s or in writing where it says that. It has to be in writing.They cannot make it up as they go. Then as I did, “I would like to talk with your supervisor.” I didn’t fail but he was trying to tell me wrong information. His opinion.
When I asked him to prove it he got a little testy and said he might just decide that I shouldn’t pass after already debriefing and congratulating me. They hold the key
to your airplane, but DON’T let them feed you any BS. Side note: I was a check airman with the airlines. My first time failing a pilot, was our POI. FAA guy. You know what they
say about payback….. Felt goood! he was a nice guy, but you call them as you see them. It was "clean kill”

You could say “I would really appreciate it if you would show me the correct way to do it sir"
You’ll be fine. Just have fun.

Quote:
On Apr 6, 2019, at 10:07, Jack Philips <jack(at)bedfordlandings.com (jack(at)bedfordlandings.com)> wrote:
Steve, The CFI checkride is the only one I’ve ever failed. Turns out, the Greensboro FSDO has an unwritten policy that NOBODY passes the CFI checkride on their first attempt. They don’t want a bunch of cocky instructors running around. So they humble you.

I had gone all through the checkride nearly flawlessly, until the very last item – a short field takeoff. I was flying a Cherokee Arrow on a hot day and the darn thing just wouldn’t climb. The examiner failed me because I didn’t retract the gear immediately, helping it to climb. Of course, had I retracted the gear immediately he would have failed me for retracting the gear before I had established a positive rate of climb. They’ll get you either way. The good news is, when I went back (after “remedial instruction”), all I had to demonstrate was one short field takeoff and I got the ticket.

Good luck!

Jack Phillips, CFI, CFII

From: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Steven DortchSent: Saturday, April 6, 2019 9:34 AMTo: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com (pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: No progress on Piet BUT

cdlwingnut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: No progress on Piet BUT Reply with quote

you will do fine. Remember think your way though the questions. you can look up the answers if you need to they want to know that you know your resources.

and remember it is never as bad as it is made out to be. don't listen to the horror stories there is a lot of "man Chuck Yeager couldn't have passed that one it was so hard" if they failed and "oh I am so good to have passed that tough check ride" if they passed.

it will be a long day but there is a lot of stuff to cover all they want to do is put a check in the bax and move on to the next item.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: No progress on Piet BUT Reply with quote

Well, my last short field landing was bad!

But not so bad that I failed. I am America's newset CFI!
On Sat, Apr 6, 2019, 11:40 AM William Geipel <l129bs(at)gmail.com (l129bs(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
If he attempts to fail you on such a silly thing, make sure you ask him to show you where in the reg’s or in writing where it says that. It has to be in writing.They cannot make it up as they go. Then as I did, “I would like to talk with your supervisor.” I didn’t fail but he was trying to tell me wrong information. His opinion. 
When I asked him to prove it he got a little testy and said he might just decide that I shouldn’t pass after already debriefing and congratulating me. They hold the key
to your airplane, but DON’T let them feed you any BS. Side note: I was a check airman with the airlines. My first time failing a pilot, was our POI. FAA guy. You know what they 
say about payback….. Felt goood! he was a nice guy, but you call them as you see them. It was "clean kill”
You could say “I would really appreciate it if you would show me the correct way to do it sir"

Quote:
On Apr 6, 2019, at 10:07, Jack Philips <jack(at)bedfordlandings.com (jack(at)bedfordlandings.com)> wrote:
Steve,  The CFI checkride is the only one I’ve ever failed.  Turns out, the Greensboro FSDO has an unwritten policy that NOBODY passes the CFI checkride on their first attempt.  They don’t want a bunch of cocky instructors running around.  So they humble you.

I had gone all through the checkride nearly flawlessly, until the very last item – a short field takeoff.  I was flying a Cherokee Arrow on a hot day and the darn thing just wouldn’t climb.  The examiner failed me because I didn’t retract the gear immediately, helping it to climb.  Of course, had I retracted the gear immediately he would have failed me for retracting the gear before I had established a positive rate of climb.  They’ll get you either way.  The good news is, when I went back (after “remedial instruction”), all I had to demonstrate was one short field takeoff and I got the ticket.

Good luck!

Jack Phillips, CFI, CFII

From: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Steven Dortch
Sent: Saturday, April 6, 2019 9:34 AM
To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com (pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: No progress on Piet BUT

ransfly(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: No progress on Piet BUT Reply with quote

Congratulations! John Weber

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 9, 2019, at 7:46 PM, Steven Dortch <steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.com (steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019, 11:40 AM William Geipel <l129bs(at)gmail.com (l129bs(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Steve, The CFI checkride is the only one I’ve ever failed. Turns out, the Greensboro FSDO has an unwritten policy that NOBODY passes the CFI checkride on their first attempt. They don’t want a bunch of cocky instructors running around. So they humble you.

I had gone all through the checkride nearly flawlessly, until the very last item – a short field takeoff. I was flying a Cherokee Arrow on a hot day and the darn thing just wouldn’t climb. The examiner failed me because I didn’t retract the gear immediately, helping it to climb. Of course, had I retracted the gear immediately he would have failed me for retracting the gear before I had established a positive rate of climb. They’ll get you either way. The good news is, when I went back (after “remedial instruction”), all I had to demonstrate was one short field takeoff and I got the ticket.

Good luck!

Jack Phillips, CFI, CFII

From: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Steven Dortch
To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com (pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: No progress on Piet BUT

Ozzietx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: No progress on Piet BUT Reply with quote

Congratulations!!!

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 9, 2019, at 18:46, Steven Dortch <steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.com (steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good luck!

Jack Phillips, CFI, CFII

From: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Steven Dortch
To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com (pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject:No progress on Piet BUT

taildrags

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: No progress on Piet BUT Reply with quote

You da man, Steve! Now can I get a little bit of dual tailwheel time from you, maybe some x-wind landings, wheel landings, and simulated dead-stick landings on one of those breezy, gusty, bumpy south Texas afternoons when even the buzzards are crabbing to their landings to fresh roadkill?

A75 power, 72x36 Culver prop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: No progress on Piet BUT Reply with quote

Yesterday, it was starting to get hot and bumpy. Great. I start my teaching career during the South Texas summer!

Other than teaching, finishing Texas Piet is my next goal.
On Tue, Apr 9, 2019, 10:06 PM taildrags <taildrags(at)hotmail.com (taildrags(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Pietenpol-List message posted by: "taildrags" <taildrags(at)hotmail.com (taildrags(at)hotmail.com)>

You da man, Steve!  Now can I get a little bit of dual tailwheel time from you, maybe some x-wind landings, wheel landings, and simulated dead-stick landings on one of those breezy, gusty, bumpy south Texas afternoons when even the buzzards are crabbing to their landings to fresh roadkill?

--------
Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC &quot;Scout&quot;

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=488651#488651

===========
br> enpol-List" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

gjkaal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject: No progress on Piet BUT Reply with quote

Congratulations!

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 01:49 Steven Dortch, <steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.com (steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good luck!

Jack Phillips, CFI, CFII

From: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Steven Dortch
Sent: Saturday, April 6, 2019 9:34 AM
To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com (pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Pietenpol-List: No progress on Piet BUT

cdlwingnut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: No progress on Piet BUT Reply with quote

Congrats. Now teach on the nice days and finish that piet when the weather grounds you.

mederiis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: No progress on Piet BUT Reply with quote

taildrags

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: No progress on Piet BUT Reply with quote

Okay, 'mederiis'- time for you to go play somewhere else.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pietenpol-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: