Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SS new Air tank weights CJ6A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ttail

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: SS new Air tank weights CJ6A Reply with quote

Gooday All. I have just replaced my original pneumatic tanks with Doug's new SS Pneumatic tanks. The new tanks are significantly heavier here are the weights.

Old Emerg Cast tank 1.3Kg
New SS Emerg Tank 3.4Kg

Old Cast Main Tank 6.0Kg
New SS Main tank 13.2Kg

So Basically both Old tanks weighed 7.3Kg
New SS tanks weigh 16.6Kg
A diff of 9.3Kg

So significant W and B issue you need to solve. In my case I removed 10Kg Lead Ballast and 1Kg elsewhere.

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
wlannon(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: SS new Air tank weights CJ6A Reply with quote

Just to set the record straight the CJ6 air tanks are not manufactured from
"cast" steel. They are forged from a relatively high tensile carbon steel
probably in the order of AMS 4130 or 4340 and heat treated accordingly. Of
course their primary enemy is moisture and corrosion.

To mitigate the corrosion problem and match that strength with stainless
steel requires a much greater wall thickness.

Walt

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jonboede(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: SS new Air tank weights CJ6A Reply with quote

In the CJ, heavier tail is better. I have yet to see one that couldn’t stand a few more pounds well aft.

Jon

[quote] On Jun 16, 2019, at 1:57 PM, Walter Lannon <wlannon(at)shaw.ca> wrote:

Just to set the record straight the CJ6 air tanks are not manufactured from "cast" steel. They are forged from a relatively high tensile carbon steel probably in the order of AMS 4130 or 4340 and heat treated accordingly. Of course their primary enemy is moisture and corrosion.

To mitigate the corrosion problem and match that strength with stainless steel requires a much greater wall thickness.

Walt

--

Ttail

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: SS new Air tank weights CJ6A Reply with quote

In my setup I had a 10Kg ballast bar in the vicinity. I removed that after fitting the new tanks and get 0.7Kg weight reduction over all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: