Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elevator counterbalance issues..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV4-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smullins(at)drury.edu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Elevator counterbalance issues.. Reply with quote

Hey all. Happy 2020.

I have an interesting issue that someone may be able to help with. During a preflight last week I noticed the lead counterbalance weight in the leading edge of the elevator rubbing on the leading edge of the horizontal stab. Close inspection showed that the lead had slightly migrated/moved inboard causing the friction. My worst fear would be the weight moving enough during flight to restrict movement of the elevator. I did not build the AC, but the plans show the lead being melted and poured into the leading edge next to the rib.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas for a fix?

Steve Mullins, Professor of Economics [img]cid:image001.png(at)01D5DB30.DB56A720[/img]

Breech School of Business Administration
Drury University
“Preparing Ethical Leaders for the Global Business Community”

- The Matronics RV4-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV4-List

image001.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.79 KB
 Viewed:  6071 Time(s)

image001.png

halbenjamin101(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Elevator counterbalance issues.. Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I built my RV4, and Did melt lead and pour it in. If I remember correctly, there are bolts that go through the two ribs back to back that form the elevator counter balance arm.
It you take off the fiberglass tip you might be able to see if the nut(s) holding a bolt is loose. Let us know if that works. Good luck.
Hal Benjamin
RV4

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 4, 2020, at 8:58 AM, Steve Mullins <smullins(at)drury.edu (smullins(at)drury.edu)> wrote:
Quote:
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Hey all. Happy 2020.

I have an interesting issue that someone may be able to help with. During a preflight last week I noticed the lead counterbalance weight in the leading edge of the elevator rubbing on the leading edge of the horizontal stab. Close inspection showed that the lead had slightly migrated/moved inboard causing the friction. My worst fear would be the weight moving enough during flight to restrict movement of the elevator. I did not build the AC, but the plans show the lead being melted and poured into the leading edge next to the rib.

Steve Mullins, Professor of Economics <image001.png>

Drury University

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

smullins(at)drury.edu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Elevator counterbalance issues.. Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Hal. Will do.

Steve Mullins
Professor of Economics
The Breech School of Business
Drury University

From: owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Hal Benjamin
Sent: Tuesday, February 4, 2020 7:02 PM
To: rv4-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RV4-List: Elevator counterbalance issues..

Hi Steve,

I built my RV4, and Did melt lead and pour it in. If I remember correctly, there are bolts that go through the two ribs back to back that form the elevator counter balance arm.

It you take off the fiberglass tip you might be able to see if the nut(s) holding a bolt is loose. Let us know if that works. Good luck.

Hal Benjamin

RV4

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 4, 2020, at 8:58 AM, Steve Mullins <smullins(at)drury.edu (smullins(at)drury.edu)> wrote:
Quote:

Hey all. Happy 2020.

Drury University

alainrboucher(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Elevator counterbalance issues.. Reply with quote

Hal is correct, see attached.

[img]cid:F39B40EB-7EF4-432F-8E5F-E6102B201304-L0-001[/img]

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Feb 4, 2020, at 9:29 PM, Steve Mullins <smullins(at)drury.edu> wrote:

<![endif]--> <![endif]-->

Steve Mullins
Professor of Economics
Drury University

From: owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Hal Benjamin
Subject: Re: Elevator counterbalance issues..

Hi Steve,

Hal Benjamin

RV4

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

Hey all. Happy 2020.

Drury University

image0.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  652.83 KB
 Viewed:  6066 Time(s)

image0.jpeg

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Elevator counterbalance issues.. Reply with quote

If I could get to the area and the lead isn't too banged up, I'd be thinking about some really thin epoxy to both fill the gaps and 'glue' it into place. Is that a possibility? Unfortunately, it would likely involve removing the elevator
so you could pour the epoxy into the cavities.
Charlie
On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 4:02 PM Alain Boucher <alainrboucher(at)gmail.com (alainrboucher(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Feb 4, 2020, at 9:29 PM, Steve Mullins <smullins(at)drury.edu (smullins(at)drury.edu)> wrote:

Steve Mullins
Professor of Economics
Drury University

From: owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Hal Benjamin
To: rv4-list(at)matronics.com (rv4-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Elevator counterbalance issues..

Hi Steve,

Hal Benjamin 

RV4

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

Hey all. Happy 2020.

Anyone have any experience with this?  Any ideas for a fix?  

Drury University

image0.jpeg
 Description:

image0.jpeg

smullins(at)drury.edu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Elevator counterbalance issues.. Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea and drawings Charlie.

Steve Mullins, Professor of Economics [img]cid:image001.png(at)01D5DC57.A8AE7A50[/img]

Drury University

From: owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Charlie England
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 4:30 PM

If I could get to the area and the lead isn't too banged up, I'd be thinking about some really thin epoxy to both fill the gaps and 'glue' it into place. Is that a possibility? Unfortunately, it would likely involve removing the elevator

so you could pour the epoxy into the cavities.

Charlie

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 4:02 PM Alain Boucher <alainrboucher(at)gmail.com (alainrboucher(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

On Feb 4, 2020, at 9:29 PM, Steve Mullins <smullins(at)drury.edu (smullins(at)drury.edu)> wrote:

Steve Mullins
Professor of Economics
Drury University

From: owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Hal Benjamin

Hi Steve,

Hal Benjamin

RV4

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

Hey all. Happy 2020.

Drury University

image001.png
 Description:

image001.png

smullins(at)drury.edu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Elevator counterbalance issues.. Reply with quote

Thanks Alain.

Steve Mullins, Professor of Economics [img]cid:image001.png(at)01D5DC59.26B14710[/img]

Drury University

From: owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Alain Boucher
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 3:58 PM

[img]cid:image002.jpg(at)01D5DC59.26B14710[/img]
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Steve Mullins
Professor of Economics
Drury University

Hi Steve,

Hal Benjamin

RV4

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

Hey all. Happy 2020.

Drury University

image001.png
 Description:

image001.png

image002.jpg
 Description:

image002.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV4-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: