Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

recoveing my old twinstar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esp3500

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: recoveing my old twinstar Reply with quote

I have a old ( 80's ) twinstar that I am recovering. I an thinking of going with that Oratex fabric due to not having to use such toxic paints and glues.

Question, does anyone know how much fabric I need to order.
and has anyone used the Oratex system on theirs?

thanks

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Ken worth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: recoveing my old twinstar Reply with quote

I am also planning to use their product.
MK3 Classic

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Rex Rodebush

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: recoveing my old twinstar Reply with quote

Figure your square footage and add about 20%. You can always order more but make sure the color shade won't change.

13brv3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: recoveing my old twinstar Reply with quote

I've never used it, but I was going to try it on the fuselage of the Slingshot. Unfortunately, I could never get them to give me a price, and I'm afraid of how high it would have been also.

If you, or anyone does recover wings with Oratex, please weigh the wings before and after. One of the main features of Oratex is the light weight, but I haven't found any real world examples of the difference on the same structure. It would be really interesting to know what the difference is on a typical wing panel, particularly for folks who want to stay under 103 weights.

Rusty

smgates

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: recoveing my old twinstar Reply with quote

Hi Rusty,

I've covered my Firestar II tandem with Oratex 600 (ultralight fabric) and it is only 9gm/sq ft versus about 20-90gm/sq ft measured by the Oratex dealer in Alaska on other painted fabrics from replaced fabrics, so a significant weight savings.

It is great to use because everything is non-toxic and water based so you can do it in the living room literally with no protective gear! It is a fair amount more expensive than some of the other fabrics, but because it is precoated with uv block and paint, there is a significant savings in painting costs and hassle/work.

The only drawback is that it is not shiny - it has a fine fabric weave, but for the benefits it offers, including patching a hole in about 10 mins with just the application of the water based heat-curing (not hot melt) glue and a hot air gun , you can't beat it - photo attached.

One caution; if you get the unburned fuel-oil mixture on it wipe it off or it could leave a dark brown stain.

20171015_095405_resized.jpg
 Description:
Firestar II covered with Oratex 600 fabric.
 Filesize:  1.58 MB
 Viewed:  6357 Time(s)

20171015_095405_resized.jpg

williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: recoveing my old twinstar Reply with quote

Brushed on, or sprayed on? Looks great! I did Poly Fiber in my living room with a brush. And not much ventilation. Stunk.

Bill Sullivan

Tarboro, NC

On Saturday, March 7, 2020, 04:44:31 AM EST, smgates <smgates(at)tpg.com.au> wrote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "smgates" <smgates(at)tpg.com.au>

Hi Rusty,

I've covered my Firestar II tandem with Oratex 600 (ultralight fabric) and it is only 9gm/sq ft versus about 20-90gm/sq ft measured by the Oratex dealer in Alaska on other painted fabrics from replaced fabrics, so a significant weight savings.

It is great to use because everything is non-toxic and water based so you can do it in the living room literally with no protective gear! It is a fair amount more expensive than some of the other fabrics, but because it is precoated with uv block and paint, there is a significant savings in painting costs and hassle/work.

13brv3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: recoveing my old twinstar Reply with quote

smgates wrote:
Hi Rusty,

Looks great, and I like everything about Oratex but the price. I've seen plenty of weights given in square feet for test pieces, but nothing beats a real world weight difference of a wing panel. I've never seen that listed anywhere.

Given the range, and figuring a 120 sq ft wing, that makes a difference of 6-44 lbs. I'm sure we're closer to 6, since the higher weight comparisons will be for older certified planes with cotton. Still, if you were trying to make UL weight, 6-10 lbs would be a big help.

Rusty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: