Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

crash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcottrell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: crash Reply with quote

https://www.columbian.com/news/2020/apr/07/clark-county-sheriffs-office-ids-man-killed-in-plane-crash/ 
Anybody know this guy?
Larry 
--
The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant of others.

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: crash Reply with quote

I don't recall him being on the List.

Bill Sullivan

do not archive.

On Tuesday, April 7, 2020, 06:24:47 PM EDT, Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com> wrote:

https://www.columbian.com/news/2020/apr/07/clark-county-sheriffs-office-ids-man-killed-in-plane-crash/
Anybody know this guy?
Larry
--

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jaydub

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: crash Reply with quote

[img]cid:04a94369-3e35-4ae4-9237-912079725d7b[/img]I've seen pictures of similar crashes. Is there an issue where the prop or something gets flung from the prop and strikes the boom tube? Other crash photos on the web of kolbs show it kinked there. See the photo from the news article attached.

Jay
------------------------------------
I am responsible for the idea behind this message. Unfortunately, the email you received may be substantially different from that idea due to my iDroid's autocorrect feature!

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 5:15 PM -0600, "william sullivan" <williamtsullivan(at)att.net (williamtsullivan(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:
I don't recall him being on the List.

Bill Sullivan

do not archive.

On Tuesday, April 7, 2020, 06:24:47 PM EDT, Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Anybody know this guy?
Larry
--

IMG_1370-768x1024.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  219.45 KB
 Viewed:  6617 Time(s)

IMG_1370-768x1024.jpeg

lcottrell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: crash Reply with quote

I am not a Crash expert, although I have managed to do so three times so far, but this looks to me like what would result from a stall. Notice how much the nose is crumpled and the plane is in a "lawn Dart" position. The broken boom tube is quite a ways past where the prop would strike, plus the prop is still on the plane, so I doubt that the prop was involved in the accident at all, perhaps other than running at the time. The original picture shows the runway about 2-3 hundred yards behind the plane.
However it is perhaps foolish to second guess anyone much less this poor guy.
I once stalled about 50 feet above my runway trying to master slow flight. I looked away for a second and the plane dropped nose down, as I watched my ASI go past 30 MPH the wrong direction. I was in a steep angle descent when I punched the throttle full forward. It of course took a looong time to spool up, but I managed to get it into a close to level attitude before impact but I still hit one gear leg hard enough to break off the axle of my right gear leg, and bury the gear leg all the way up to the bottom of the cage. I blame the VG's for my survival.
Larry

rascaljohn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: crash Reply with quote

I had a bad landing ( FS ll ) that resulted in a broken boom tube at the same place shown in the photo-The H-section ends where the break is. Maybe the H-section could be longer...but I would expect that the boom would still be destroyed, just further aft.
I also had damage to the fuselage sleeve that accepts the gear leg.
Any design ideas for a J-3 type of bungee shock absorber? Fuselage would really need reviewing.
John Fitt

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 7, 2020, at 5:21 PM, Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I am not a Crash expert, although I have managed to do so three times so far, but this looks to me like what would result from a stall. Notice how much the nose is crumpled and the plane is in a "lawn Dart" position. The broken boom tube is quite a ways past where the prop would strike, plus the prop is still on the plane, so I doubt that the prop was involved in the accident at all, perhaps other than running at the time. The original picture shows the runway about 2-3 hundred yards behind the plane.
I once stalled about 50 feet above my runway trying to master slow flight. I looked away for a second and the plane dropped nose down, as I watched my ASI go past 30 MPH the wrong direction. I was in a steep angle descent when I punched the throttle full forward. It of course took a looong time to spool up, but I managed to get it into a close to level attitude before impact but I still hit one gear leg hard enough to break off the axle of my right gear leg, and bury the gear leg all the way up to the bottom of the cage. I blame the VG's for my survival.
Larry

brubakermal(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:25 am    Post subject: crash Reply with quote

that is too bad . i loved my kolb KXP 447 like a wise man once told me . "keep it out of the dirt and you will be a richer man for it"

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Quote:
On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 9:25 PM, Jay Dub
<bearhawk(at)gmx.com> wrote:

[img]cid:AN6wX0UA3D4g8FX1h1E9[/img]I've seen pictures of similar crashes. Is there an issue where the prop or something gets flung from the prop and strikes the boom tube? Other crash photos on the web of kolbs show it kinked there. See the photo from the news article attached.

Jay
------------------------------------I am responsible for the idea behind this message. Unfortunately, the email you received may be substantially different from that idea due to my iDroid's autocorrect feature!
On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 5:15 PM -0600, "william sullivan" <williamtsullivan(at)att.net (williamtsullivan(at)att.net)> wrote:
Quote:
I don't recall him being on the List. Bill Sullivando not archive.

Anybody know this guy?
Larry

-- The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant of others.

IMG_1370-768x1024.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  219.45 KB
 Viewed:  6606 Time(s)

IMG_1370-768x1024.jpeg

rickofudall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: crash Reply with quote

John, take a look at the gear on John Hauck's Mk III. Yes it takes some
major mods to do it, but it can be done. The other way you might consider
is the Grove style bent aluminum gear. That would be much easier to
install.

Rick

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 10:46 PM John Fitt <jpfitt(at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

[quote] I had a bad landing ( FS ll ) that resulted in a broken boom tube at the
same place shown in the photo-
The H-section ends where the break is. Maybe the H-section could be
longer...but I would expect that the boom would still be destroyed, just
further aft.
Any design ideas for a J-3 type of bungee shock absorber? Fuselage would
really need reviewing.
John Fitt

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 7, 2020, at 5:21 PM, Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com>
wrote:

I am not a Crash expert, although I have managed to do so three times so
far, but this looks to me like what would result from a stall. Notice how
much the nose is crumpled and the plane is in a "lawn Dart" position. The
broken boom tube is quite a ways past where the prop would strike, plus the
prop is still on the plane, so I doubt that the prop was involved in the
accident at all, perhaps other than running at the time. The original
picture shows the runway about 2-3 hundred yards behind the plane.

However it is perhaps foolish to second guess anyone much less this poor
guy.

I once stalled about 50 feet above my runway trying to master slow flight

rascaljohn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: crash Reply with quote

Well... I got the bent aluminum gear alright.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 9, 2020, at 5:00 PM, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com (aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
John, take a look at the gear on John Hauck's Mk III. Yes it takes some major mods to do it, but it can be done. The other way you might consider is the Grove style bent aluminum gear. That would be much easier to install.

Rick
On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 10:46 PM John Fitt <jpfitt(at)sbcglobal.net (jpfitt(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:

Quote:
I had a bad landing ( FS ll ) that resulted in a broken boom tube at the same place shown in the photo-The H-section ends where the break is. Maybe the H-section could be longer..but I would expect that the boom would still be destroyed, just further aft.
Any design ideas for a J-3 type of bungee shock absorber? Fuselage would really need reviewing.
John Fitt

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 7, 2020, at 5:21 PM, Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Larry

--
“Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.” Groucho Marx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: