Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Builder's tool set wanted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lwalters2(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Builder's tool set wanted Reply with quote

Hi Bruce!� I'm building a -10 at Valkaria Airport, X59. Should be getting my inspection when the virus quarantine is over.�
�I'm holding onto my tools since I may be a 3 time offender.
Do not buy cheap tools made for cutting as they dull quickly.
Buy a couple packs each of #30 and #40 drills.��� Plus tap and body drills for #6,8,10 ...... get a couple sets. plus the taps.� A couple sizes of deburring bits that fit a battery screwdriver is a must have.� Stock up on mutiple TPI blades for the bandsaw.� I have an 'automatic bandsaw', the type that has a vice to hold material as the arm cuts it off.� Saves a lot if hacksaw work on parts that won't go through the bandsaw.� The fiberglass parts are crap (IMHO) and I used an angle grinder on mine.� You might consider putting blue foam in the doors to stiffen them but you'll need stronger struts for the extra weight.� I didn't do it because I didn't think of it in time, but you might consider mounting the desser monster tires before making up the wheel pants.

These recommendations should deplete your bank account for starters!!!
Linn

On 4/8/2020 7:25 AM, bechis1(at)att.net (bechis1(at)att.net) wrote:

Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I am re-posting this message to hopefully a larger forum.� Sorry if� you already received it.

I am a first-time RV-10 builder and will be needing a complete tool set soon. �Will need all of the sheet metal tools in Vans� list plus a bandsaw and any other recommendations. �I was wondering if anyone desires to sell some or all of their set, I will entertain reasonable offers.��

Thank you!

Bruce Chisholm
Orlando, Florida

Virus-free. www.avg.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Builder's tool set wanted Reply with quote

No tools to offer, but a few more thoughts. 
If you limit yourself to cutting aluminum, a wood-cutting bandsaw will get the job done with a relatively fine tooth, 1/4" blade. If you think  you'll need to cut steel (should be little to none for a Van's kit), plan on spending significantly more money. A combo saw that does what Lynn describes but also lets you raise the cutting arm to vertical and allows a cutting table to be installed might be a good option. I lucked into a Powermatic metal cutting saw at auction; worth checking the used market. If you can find a used premium power tool at/near the same price as a homeowner grade new tool, the used premium power tool will likely outlast a new homeowner grade tool (and give better results).
I'd agree in general with Lynn's advice on cutting tools, but modify it a bit (pardon the pun) by saying that one of Harbor Freight's 115 pc cobalt sets is worth considering, for this reason: I've found numerous places where 'oddball size' holes are needed, usually in one or two places and then you're done with that size. Most of those holes are in aluminum. Yes, the HF bits lack the quality of machinists' tools, but we're not earning a living with them. By the time you buy every premium bit that you need (to drill only a couple of holes each), that doesn't show up in a standard small bit set, you'll have bought the HF set. And the HF set has every available size up to 1/2". I've also worn out one or two of their $10 electric angle grinders, over the course of 15 years, building both the -7  (including making a custom motor mount for an alternative engine), and various 'farm work' around the hangar and runway. Same for their small air powered die grinder. 
If I'd had unlimited funds, I'd have equipped with all premium tools (maybe). But the cheap stuff can often get the job done, for those of us who aren't in a production/pro level environment.
FWIW,
Charlie
On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 9:05 AM Linn <lwalters2(at)bellsouth.net (lwalters2(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:

Quote:
Hi Bruce!� I'm building a -10 at Valkaria Airport, X59. Should be getting my inspection when the virus quarantine is over.�
Buy a couple packs each of #30 and #40 drills.��� Plus tap and body drills for #6,8,10 ...... get a couple sets. plus the taps.� A couple sizes of deburring bits that fit a battery screwdriver is a must have.� Stock up on mutiple TPI blades for the bandsaw.� I have an 'automatic bandsaw', the type that has a vice to hold material as the arm cuts it off.� Saves a lot if hacksaw work on parts that won't go through the bandsaw.� The fiberglass parts are crap (IMHO) and I used an angle grinder on mine.� You might consider putting blue foam in the doors to stiffen them but you'll need stronger struts for the extra weight.� I didn't do it because I didn't think of it in time, but you might consider mounting the desser monster tires before making up the wheel pants.

Linn

Quote:

I am re-posting this message to hopefully a larger forum.� Sorry if� you already received it.
�
I am a first-time RV-10 builder and will be needing a complete tool set soon. �Will need all of the sheet metal tools in Vans� list plus a bandsaw and any other recommendations. �I was wondering if anyone desires to sell some or all of their set, I will entertain reasonable offers.��
�
Thank you!
�
Bruce Chisholm
Orlando, Florida
�

Virus-free. www.avg.com [url=#m_8934055425832207728_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lwalters2(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Builder's tool set wanted Reply with quote

c'mon down!� I'm in the hangar almost eve3ry weekday.� #65.

On 4/8/2020 11:51 AM, bechis1(at)att.net (bechis1(at)att.net) wrote:

Quote:
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Hi Linn � this is great info.� Once this virus thing is over I would love to visit and take a look at your plane and tools.� I have a 172 so I can fly into Valkaria anytime.

Thanks!
Bruce.

Bruce Chisholm
407-414-7646
bechis1(at)att.net (bechis1(at)att.net)

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com> (owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com) On Behalf Of Linn
Sent: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 8:30 AM
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com (rv-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Builder's tool set wanted

Linn
Quote:

Thank you!

Bruce Chisholm
Orlando, Florida

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: