Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADS-B Out Performance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albert Gardner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: ADS-B Out Performance Reply with quote

I installed a MicroAvionics Sky Beacon in my left wing tip and I'm not always getting good FAA reports from it. Anybody have some information on this. There have been several tail beacon units installed here recently and many have the same proble.

I have asked for reports on about 7 separate flights since Nov. when I installed the unit and 3 of them had red boxes 3 had no red boxes and 1 did not generate a report. The most recent flight, about an hour was below 3000 AGL and had a lot of touch and go's at a local practice field, and had red boxes on it.

All flights have been made with same equipment, nothing changed in setup or software.

If you get a good report do you ever have to check again? Is each flight a separate issue, some could be good, some bad? Does anyone keep track. If you had a good report and never checked again, could you get into trouble flying in to Class B or C? Does anybody have answers?
Albert Gardner
Yuma, AZ

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: ADS-B Out Performance Reply with quote

uAvionics generally work quite well. I have installed 3 wingtip and 3 taiBeacons.  There can be an issue between the sensitivity of the beacon and your Mode C transponder.Send your performance reports to uAvionics support. They can advise you on what needs to be adjusted. IIRC there is a section at the back of the install manual on how to adjust that sensitivity.  Mainly you need the Skybeacon to properly see the squawk and altitude from your transponder, so it can include that information in your ADS-B data stream.
Once you get a clean performance report, it is recommended you get a new report every 12 months at a minimum. I wouldn't try to get a report on flying the pattern with touch and goes. Let your transponder warm up for at least 5 minutes in ALT mode before taking off. Fly around for 15-30 minutes. Land. Wait 30 min and then submit your request for a report. You can get some idea of how your unit is doing by going to Flight radar 24 and search for your tail number. That will show you your ground track, pressure altitude, and airspeed. Depending how far you are from a ground station, you may be seen on the ground or at a few hundred feet in the air.
Kelly
KCHD
Quote:
Sent from my TRS-80 Model 100

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 5:52 PM Albert <ibspud(at)roadrunner.com (ibspud(at)roadrunner.com)> wrote:

Quote:

I installed a MicroAvionics Sky Beacon in my left wing tip and I'm not always getting good FAA reports from it. Anybody have some information on this. There have been several tail beacon units installed here recently and many have the same proble.

I have asked for reports on about 7 separate flights since Nov. when I installed the unit and 3 of them had red boxes 3 had no red boxes and 1 did not generate a report. The most recent flight, about an hour was below 3000 AGL and had a lot of touch and go's at a local practice field, and had red boxes on it.

All flights have been made with same equipment, nothing changed in setup or software.

If you get a good report do you ever have to check again? Is each flight a separate issue, some could be good, some bad? Does anyone keep track. If you had a good report and never checked again, could you get into trouble flying in to Class B or C? Does anybody have answers?
Albert Gardner
Yuma, AZ

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: ADS-B Out Performance Reply with quote

Yes, you should check occasionally, to be certain nothing has changed. No, each flight is not a separate issue..either it is working correctly or it isn't.
If the FAA detects your unit outputting an erroneous datablock, you will get a letter with typically 45 days to correct it.
A friend with uAvionics Echo unit was misconfigured. The FAA contacted the airport management within hours, and airport delivered emailed letter very shortly afterwards.
The Echo requires hex number to be entered separately from tail number, and his was incorrect.  If you fly into Phoenix Class B mode C veil and talk to approach control, they will tell you if they don't see your ADS-B.  A very high percentage of problems are just incorrect configuration, which once resolved should not reoccur.
Quote:
KellyChandler AZEAA Chpt, 1445

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 5:52 PM Albert <ibspud(at)roadrunner.com (ibspud(at)roadrunner.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Albert Gardner
Yuma, AZ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: