Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Design Schemes and Brownout Operation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsimpso1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: New Design Schemes and Brownout Operation Reply with quote

I am a pretty good mechanical engineer, but electrics, well, please bear with me as I learn.

Designing up my IFR electrics system, 2 Dynon displays and associated bits, Avidyne, LED lighting, I was all set to go Z-14. Now Bob is talking new scheme to be lighter, easier to build, maintain, and fly. I do not feel like I can really judge what is needed and not, how to pick, etc. Done the reading, just not experienced...

In the process, I have figured out that I need 30 amps continuous to turn on everything and a few more amps to transmit. Hey, there are alternators at B&C that can make Plan B just turn on the standby alternator and motor on. Cool!

Now to getting it cranked up without rebooting the electro-whizzies. Dynon makes backup batteries. Avidyne has yet to answer on how they prefer to avoid brownout reboots. Then we have brownout bus designs with relays and even have advice to use DC-DC converters to keep 12VDC at the boxes. Remember, I am an ME, my electric savvy is puny. Given the current state of knowledge, are we better off with a 7-10 AH battery and the brownout bus or with the boosters, or even both? Anybody have some brands and model numbers that are known to be pretty reliable for these DC-DC gadgets?

With the stated 10,000 hour life of these alternators, maybe I should say two on them plus the battery is enough and stop there. But let's say both are dead, and I need an hour to get to a suitable approach. I can cut off the outside lights and pitot heat, but I gotta drive one Dynon, Avidyne and transponder someway. Sounds like a good argument for a brownout battery that is an infrastructure item rather than having backup batteries for each of several boxes. Or does the FMEA score better with several independent backup batteries? Seems better to have one COTS battery, relay, and switch than a bunch of different proprietary batteries...

Billski

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
user9253

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: New Design Schemes and Brownout Operation Reply with quote

The simpler the electrical system is, the better. It will easier to understand
and build. It will cost less and weigh less. And there will be less chance of
failure or pilot error. So add features that you need, but not those that you
might need. However, there should be a plan B for any failure.
A DC-DC converter used for brownout protection seems like a good idea.
I do not know if anyone has actually installed one yet.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

wsimpso1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Design Schemes and Brownout Operation Reply with quote

I shall repeat my questions without the distracting associated information:

Given the current state of knowledge, do we appear to be better off with a 7-10 AH battery on a brownout bus or with the boosters, or even both?

Anybody have some brands and model numbers that are known to be reliable for these DC-DC gadgets that could be used as brownout boosters?

Which gives better reliability (scores better on FMEA) for backup power - backup batteries on the individual boxes or a single battery, switch, and relay?

Billski

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: