Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aircraft Tug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike(at)vision499.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Aircraft Tug Reply with quote

Hello all

I’m looking at building a 12v battery operated aircraft tug, not a ride on just a walk with. My max aircraft weight will be about 1800 lbs.

I am looking for advise on what size motor I will need. There are a few 12v motors for sale on ebay but they are not rated in hp so am not sure of what specs I’m looking at.

One thought was to use a car starter motor but that is not rated for continuous service but the farthest I will go with the tug is 100 yds and I’m not sure if it will cope with that distance. A friend has also suggested converting an alternator into a motor, not sure what that entails. Ebay has scooter motors with a speed controller that seems ideal but not sure if that will be powerful enough but it will be geared right down.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas

Thanks

Mike

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
joemotis(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Tug Reply with quote

Hi Mike,Ā  I built a tug out of one of the mobility scooters I found on CL for $100.00 bucks. Everything is already their just needs some creativity to make it work on your aircraft. Will look for pics but do not know if I have any. Joe Motis

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 12:42 PM <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Ā 
Hello all
Ā 
Iā€™m looking at building a 12v battery Ā operated aircraft tug, not a ride on just a walk with. My max aircraft weight will be about 1800 lbs.
Ā 
I am looking for advise on what size motor I will need. There are a few 12v motors for sale on ebay but they are not rated in hp so am not sure of what specs Iā€™m looking at.
Ā 
One thought was to use a car starter motor but that is not rated for continuous service but the farthest I will go with the tug is 100 yds and Iā€™m not sure if it will cope with that distance. A friend has also suggested converting an alternator into a motor, not sure what that entails.Ā  Ebay has scooter motors with a speed controller that seems ideal but not sure if that will be powerful enough but it will be geared right down.
Ā 
Ā 
Thanks
Ā 
Mike
Ā 
Ā 

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_-8539690423255490022_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

skywagon185(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Tug Reply with quote

Mike,
...one tip is: you have to gear way down the motor which will increase its final driving torque greatly. So, don't be afraid of smaller size motors. For heavens sake, don't use an auto starter type motor; way too powerful.Ā  First engagement would rip your whole tug apart.

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 12:32 PM <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Ā 
Hello all
Ā 
Iā€™m looking at building a 12v battery Ā operated aircraft tug, not a ride on just a walk with. My max aircraft weight will be about 1800 lbs.
Ā 
I am looking for advise on what size motor I will need. There are a few 12v motors for sale on ebay but they are not rated in hp so am not sure of what specs Iā€™m looking at.
Ā 
One thought was to use a car starter motor but that is not rated for continuous service but the farthest I will go with the tug is 100 yds and Iā€™m not sure if it will cope with that distance. A friend has also suggested converting an alternator into a motor, not sure what that entails.Ā  Ebay has scooter motors with a speed controller that seems ideal but not sure if that will be powerful enough but it will be geared right down.
Ā 
Ā 
Thanks
Ā 
Mike
Ā 
Ā 

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_-4086849547896881672_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Tug Reply with quote

Actually, a starter motor can work if properly geared down; I've got one in my hangar that a friend used to use to drag his C-170 around. It had a full size wet cell car battery for power (weight probably helped with traction) and a chain reduction to the wheels. Sprocket diameters were probably ~1.5" & ~6", but it's been a while since I really looked at it. IIRC, it had a simple forward/reverse switch & a pushbutton to activate it. A 100 yd continuous operation might be a bit much for a starter motor, but it might notĀ  be working as hard pulling the a/c on level ground as it is when starting the engine.

There's a recently created thread on VAF detailing a shop-built tug using a pair of scooter motors & wheels (purchased as a set on ebay). Uses an off the shelf SLA battery.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=180676&highlight=tug

FWIW,

Charlie

On 4/11/2020 5:49 PM, skywagon185guy . wrote:

Quote:
Mike,
...one tip is: you have to gear way down the motor which will increase its final driving torque greatly. So, don't be afraid of smaller size motors. For heavens sake, don't use an auto starter type motor; way too powerful.Ā  First engagement would rip your whole tug apart.

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 12:32 PM <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Ā 
Hello all
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Thanks
Ā 
Mike
Ā 
Ā 

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_-4086849547896881672_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Tug Reply with quote

I actually have a MiniMax that I've got for sale right now.
It's set up for an RV-10/RV-14 but I'm guessing it could
be customized for others.
Tim

On 4/11/20 6:34 PM, Gerry van Dyk wrote:
[quote] If I may suggest, have a look at Minimax Aircraft Tugs for ideas.
https://www.minimaxtugs.com/Ā  They've got a range of light tugs built
around cordless drills.

For the bottom end a commercial worm drive gear box would probably be a
good bet.Ā  Try searching Ebay forĀ  133ULR20A Browning Raider Worm Gear
Reducer.Ā  I'd post a link but it's about 7 miles long.Ā  That unit is
seriously overkill for the purpose, but perhaps there's lighter weight
similar units.

this might be another option, but you'd need a separate battery and
electrical system.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC12V-12rpm-Speed-Reduction-Worm-Gear-Motor-with-Cable-70kg-cm-High-Torque/163673951726?hash=item261bba4dee:g:QhkAAOSwOFFeAx2z

Just food for thought
Gerry

----

hilltopkid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Tug Reply with quote

Tim, what do you want for the MiniMax? And where do you live for shipping cost calculation to Dinwiddie County Airport (KPTB), Virginia.

Dee Whittington
804-677-4849 iPhone
[quote] On Apr 11, 2020, at 10:44 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com> wrote:

I actually have a MiniMax that I've got for sale right now.
It's set up for an RV-10/RV-14 but I'm guessing it could
be customized for others.
Tim

On 4/11/20 6:34 PM, Gerry van Dyk wrote:
> If I may suggest, have a look at Minimax Aircraft Tugs for ideas. https://www.minimaxtugs.com/ They've got a range of light tugs built around cordless drills.
> For the bottom end a commercial worm drive gear box would probably be a good bet. Try searching Ebay for 133ULR20A Browning Raider Worm Gear Reducer. I'd post a link but it's about 7 miles long. That unit is seriously overkill for the purpose, but perhaps there's lighter weight similar units.
> this might be another option, but you'd need a separate battery and electrical system.
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC12V-12rpm-Speed-Reduction-Worm-Gear-Motor-with-Cable-70kg-cm-High-Torque/163673951726?hash=item261bba4dee:g:QhkAAOSwOFFeAx2z
> Just food for thought
> Gerry
> ----

john(at)tipton.me.uk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Aircraft Tug Reply with quote

Thereā€™s a couple of ā€˜walk along tugsā€™ in our hangar which use rechargeable drills (the DeWalt brand seems ā€˜de rigueurā€™), which just goes to show what is required using the right gearing.

John

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----
Quote:
On 12 Apr 2020, at 12:08 am, skywagon185guy . <skywagon185(at)gmail.com> wrote:

ļ»æMike,
...one tip is: you have to gear way down the motor which will increase its final driving torque greatly. So, don't be afraid of smaller size motors. For heavens sake, don't use an auto starter type motor; way too powerful. First engagement would rip your whole tug apart.

Quote:

Hello all

Iā€™m looking at building a 12v battery operated aircraft tug, not a ride on just a walk with. My max aircraft weight will be about 1800 lbs.

One thought was to use a car starter motor but that is not rated for continuous service but the farthest I will go with the tug is 100 yds and Iā€™m not sure if it will cope with that distance. A friend has also suggested converting an alternator into a motor, not sure what that entails.  Ebay has scooter motors with a speed controller that seems ideal but not sure if that will be powerful enough but it will be geared right down.

Thanks

Mike

joemotis(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Tug Reply with quote

Her you go Mike[img]cid:ii_k8xguc380[/img] I could not find another picture but I mounted a trailer hitch ball on to of the frame right behind the batteries and fabricated a tow bar with a hitch connector on it. Works excellent.

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 12:42 PM <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Ā 
Hello all
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Thanks
Ā 
Mike
Ā 
Ā 

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_3616394520000165289_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

1014001835[1].jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.99 KB
 Viewed:  7218 Time(s)

1014001835[1].jpg

mike(at)vision499.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Aircraft Tug Reply with quote

Thank you very much, you have convinced me, I was looking forward to building a tug from scratch but it will be a lot cheaper and easier to adapt a mobility scooter

I am looking for a used one to convert, will let you know how it turns out

Thanks again

Mike

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Joe Motis
Sent: April 14, 2020 8:37 AM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Aircraft Tug

With The lead acid batteries right where the trailer hitch ball was I think never had a traction problem. And that pulling my friends big twin 2 I would just pulling my Cherokee 180 with it and that thing would drag it all over the air Park the benefit to use in one of those old Mobility devices in my opinion was that everything was there it was geared down it was meant to drag around a 300-pound person it had proportional forward and reverse controls and a charger built in

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020, 9:36 PM <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Just a quick question, why did you not keep the seat, would it not improve traction if you had the extra weight?

Thanks

Mike

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Joe Motis
Sent: April 12, 2020 12:56 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Aircraft Tug

Her you go Mike
[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01D611DA.185F74A0[/img]I could not find another picture but I mounted a trailer hitch ball on to of the frame right behind the batteries and fabricated a tow bar with a hitch connector on it. Works excellent.

Quote:

Hello all

Iā€™m looking at building a 12v battery operated aircraft tug, not a ride on just a walk with. My max aircraft weight will be about 1800 lbs.

One thought was to use a car starter motor but that is not rated for continuous service but the farthest I will go with the tug is 100 yds and Iā€™m not sure if it will cope with that distance. A friend has also suggested converting an alternator into a motor, not sure what that entails. Ebay has scooter motors with a speed controller that seems ideal but not sure if that will be powerful enough but it will be geared right down.

Thanks

Mike

Virus-free. www.avast.com

joemotis(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Tug Reply with quote

Certainly my pleasure good luck!

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020, 12:04 PM <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Thank you very much, you have convinced me, I was looking forward to building a tug from scratch but it will be a lot cheaper and easier to adapt a mobility scooter
Ā 
I am looking for a used one to convert, will let you know how it turns out
Ā 
Thanks again
Ā 
Mike
Ā 
From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Joe Motis
Sent: April 14, 2020 8:37 AM
Subject: Re: AeroElectric-List: Aircraft Tug
Ā 
With The lead acid batteries right where the trailer hitch ball was I think never had a traction problem. And that pulling my friends big twin 2 I would just pulling my Cherokee 180 with it and that thing would drag it all over the air Park the benefit to use in one of those old Mobility devices in my opinion was that everything was there it was geared down it was meant to drag around a 300-pound person it had proportional forward and reverse controls and a charger built in

Ā 
On Mon, Apr 13, 2020, 9:36 PM <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Just a quick question, why did you not keep the seat, would it not improve traction if you had the extra weight?
Ā 
Thanks
Ā 
Mike
Ā 
Sent: April 12, 2020 12:56 PM
Subject: Re: AeroElectric-List: Aircraft Tug
Ā 
Her you go Mike
I could not find another picture but I mounted a trailer hitch ball on to of the frame right behind the batteries and fabricated a tow bar with a hitch connector on it. Works excellent.
Ā 
Quote:

Ā 
Hello all
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Thanks
Ā 
Mike
Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

kesleyelectric(at)iowatel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Aircraft Tug Reply with quote

Attached is a photo of an aircraft tug a friend built from a walk behind snow blower with a failed engine. The transmission allows speed control going forward plus reverse.

Works very well on his RV-6.

Tom Barter

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of mike(at)vision499.com
Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2020 2:32 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Aircraft Tug

Hello all

I’m looking at building a 12v battery operated aircraft tug, not a ride on just a walk with. My max aircraft weight will be about 1800 lbs.

I am looking for advise on what size motor I will need. There are a few 12v motors for sale on ebay but they are not rated in hp so am not sure of what specs I’m looking at.

One thought was to use a car starter motor but that is not rated for continuous service but the farthest I will go with the tug is 100 yds and I’m not sure if it will cope with that distance. A friend has also suggested converting an alternator into a motor, not sure what that entails. Ebay has scooter motors with a speed controller that seems ideal but not sure if that will be powerful enough but it will be geared right down.

Thanks

Mike

Electric_Tug.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.7 KB
 Viewed:  7165 Time(s)

Electric_Tug.jpg

billbear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Aircraft Tug Reply with quote

Tom,
What DC motor did he use to replace the gasoline motor?

Bill
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2020, at 07:33, Tom Barter <kesleyelectric(at)iowatelecom.net (kesleyelectric(at)iowatelecom.net)> wrote:
Attached is a photo of an aircraft tug a friend built from a walk behind snow blower with a failed engine. The transmission allows speed control going forward plus reverse.

Works very well on his RV-6.

Tom Barter

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2020 2:32 PMTo: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: Aircraft Tug

Hello all

One thought was to use a car starter motor but that is not rated for continuous service but the farthest I will go with the tug is 100 yds and Iā€™m not sure if it will cope with that distance. A friend has also suggested converting an alternator into a motor, not sure what that entails. Ebay has scooter motors with a speed controller that seems ideal but not sure if that will be powerful enough but it will be geared right down.

Thanks

Mike

[img]cid:94AD957F-9199-4BD3-B88D-2B222B7C2D38[/img]

Electric_Tug.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.19 KB
 Viewed:  7163 Time(s)

Electric_Tug.jpeg

ktup122(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:11 am    Post subject: Aircraft Tug Reply with quote

ktup122(at)aol.com
--

billbear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Tug Reply with quote

Thanks, Tom. Gotta add this one to my ā€œto doā€ list.

Bill Bear

[quote] On Apr 19, 2020, at 05:09, ktup122(at)aol.com wrote:

ktup122(at)aol.com

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: