Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting both sides of the fuel tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Connecting both sides of the fuel tank Reply with quote

Hi John,The return fuel to the reserve tank is a very small amount due to the restrictor placed in the return line pipe from the T intersection. Most excess fuel now flows out through an overflow tube from the new Rotax engine mechanical fuel pump. I would prefer to make sure the reserve fuel filter is not blocked and the flow to the engine is uninhabited by selecting the Reserve first for 30 mins then back to the Main for the last 30mins, a conservative approach.
Cheers,
Tim

Sent from my iPadTim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch,
New Zealand
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:
On 2/11/2020, at 9:27 PM, John Wighton <john(at)wighton.net> wrote:

--> Europa-List message posted by: "John Wighton" <john(at)wighton.net>

Reply to Tim.

The return line goes to the reserve side, therefore the last tank you switch to should always be the reserve. As this will receive the excess fuel that is bypassing the carb.

So when your tank/gauge says empty stay on main tank. As soon as the engine faulters switch to reserve, you then have 9 lites remaining. Every drop of that is available to you, including the returned fuel.

Regards
JW

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=499180#499180

</==========================; - The Europa-List Email Forum -</===================================================<==============================================

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
m.j.gregory(at)talk21.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Connecting both sides of the fuel tank Reply with quote

The "run until it falters" or "fly to failure" principle of fuel management can be much improved by the fitting of a fuel pressure gauge or warning light. This will normally give sufficient advance warning of fuel exhaustion in the main tank to allow the reserve to be selected without the engine missing a beat while it continues to run on fuel in the carburettors. Depending on the type of gauge, the needle may start to fluctuate or the light may flicker when the smooth flow of fuel is interrupted. This can be a good attention-getter (I speak from experience!)

While on the subject of fuel system configuration, I feel it is important to remind all UK builders and operators of the note accompanying my fuel system review on the Club website https://www.theeuropaclub.org/owning/safety/fuel-system-review-mike-gregory-2019

"In U.K. any deviation from the current Europa published fuel system must be approved by the LAA modification system in the normal way."

Regards,

Mike
Dr Mike Gregory
Europa Club Safety Officer
01480 451655
07885 355765

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Connecting both sides of the fuel tank Reply with quote

Hi Tim,
I’m confused, that pump overflow tube is to capture any leakage if the pump’s diaphragm fails, no? It is normally dry.
Cheers,
Pete

Quote:
On Nov 2, 2020, at 1:45 PM, timward <ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz> wrote:

Hi John,The return fuel to the reserve tank is a very small amount due to the restrictor placed in the return line pipe from the T intersection. Most excess fuel now flows out through an overflow tube from the new Rotax engine mechanical fuel pump. I would prefer to make sure the reserve fuel filter is not blocked and the flow to the engine is uninhabited by selecting the Reserve first for 30 mins then back to the Main for the last 30mins, a conservative approach.
Cheers,
Tim

12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton, 
Christchurch,
New Zealand
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:

Reply to Tim.

The return line goes to the reserve side, therefore the last tank you switch to should always be the reserve. As this will receive the excess fuel that is bypassing the carb.

So when your tank/gauge says empty stay on main tank. As soon as the engine faulters switch to reserve, you then have 9 lites remaining. Every drop of that is available to you, including the returned fuel.

Regards
JW

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Connecting both sides of the fuel tank Reply with quote

Hi Pete, I thought it was an overflow as well. You may well be right. Have to ask Rotax.Tim

12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch,
New Zealand
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:
On 3/11/2020, at 8:30 AM, Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:

Hi Tim,
I’m confused, that pump overflow tube is to capture any leakage if the pump’s diaphragm fails, no? It is normally dry.
Cheers,
Pete

Quote:
On Nov 2, 2020, at 1:45 PM, timward <ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz> wrote:

Cheers,
Tim

12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch,
New Zealand
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:

Reply to Tim.

Regards
JW

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD

cakeykev(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:03 am    Post subject: Connecting both sides of the fuel tank Reply with quote

It’s called the reserve for a reason. Why would you take fuel from the side that is not getting the return fuel. You should never get to that stage but I want to know I have used every drop if it all goes wrong.

Kevin Challis

Quote:
On 2 Nov 2020, at 18:38, timward <ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz> wrote:

Cheers,
Tim

12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch,
New Zealand
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:

Reply to Tim.

Regards
JW

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD

Remi Guerner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting both sides of the fuel tank Reply with quote

<<<<<<The>>>>>>>>

I agree with John that it is the best practice. The returned fuel is very significant. It is about 12 liters per hour at cruise power with the standard Europa fuel system (Rotax 912, all carburetted versions). Then if you empty the reserve side first, the 9 or so liters remaining on the main side will not all go to the engine. Suppose your engine is using 15 liters/hour at your selected cruise power, the fuel flow from the tank will be 27 L/h and the main side will be empty after 20 minutes. 4 liters will go to the reserve side and stay there... unless you switch tanks once again. Better empty the main first and get 36 minutes of powered flight after switching to reserve. With the 914, the average return flow is dramatically higher, making the problem worse.
Remi Guerner

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Connecting both sides of the fuel tank Reply with quote

Hi All,Wow. I didn’t realise the return fuel was that significant. My apologies, I shall return to the recognised method in the future, Main Tank then Reserve.
Cheers,
Tim

12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch,
New Zealand
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz 
021 0640221
Quote:
On 4/11/2020, at 1:32 AM, Remi Guerner <air.guerner(at)orange.fr> wrote:

--> Europa-List message posted by: "Remi Guerner" <air.guerner(at)orange.fr>

Quote:
Quote:

I agree with John that it is the best practice. The returned fuel is very significant. It is about 12 liters per hour at cruise power with the standard Europa fuel system (Rotax 912, all carburetted versions). Then if you empty the reserve side first, the 9 or so liters remaining on the main side will not all go to the engine. Suppose your engine is using 15 liters/hour at your selected cruise power, the fuel flow from the tank will be 27 L/h and the main side will be empty after 20 minutes. 4 liters will go to the reserve side and stay there... unless you switch tanks once again. Better empty the main first and get 36 minutes of powered flight after switching to reserve. With the 914, the average return flow is dramatically higher, making the problem worse.
Remi Guerner

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=499214#499214

tonyvaccarella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting both sides of the fuel tank Reply with quote

Hi all,

Id like to thank everyone for the numerous valuable comments and suggestions posted on this thread. I should have mentioned from the start that my project uses a Jabiru engine that does not utilise a return fuel line.

I have decided that I will connect the reserve and the main tanks via an external line as I have seen and heard enough positive feedback to do so with confidence.

Best regards to all
Tony

creightonious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Connecting both sides of the fuel tank Reply with quote

I agree with everyone who advocates running on the main (left) side of the fuel tank because, as has been pointed out, the fuel returns to the reserve (left) side thus ensuring a full reserve 30 minutes.
The only time I have used the reserve in necessity, I was making a night VFR approach at close to extreme range. The main was quite low and I don’t entirely trust the totalizer at an extreme.
When I entered the pattern I switched to the reserve to ensure uninterrupted engine operation in a critical situation.
Upon fueling there was 5 gal (US) remaining.
I am a card carrying member of Bud’s Department of Redundancy Department.
Creighton Smith. E-009

Sent from my iPad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: