Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question/help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlpartington(at)reagan.co

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: question/help Reply with quote

I have been fighting an engine issue on a low time since ‘overhauled’, auto plug motor.
I bought the engine from an owner in  SoCal who was installing an M-14. I mounted the motor and flew it sporadically for several months with no troubles.
After a two month brake, I started this motor with no issues and found that it would no develop TO power. The power was low and different depending upon which mag(s) were used. As I recall, best was #1.  Anyway I had the mags looked at and ended up replacing the coil in one mag.
Life intervened and time passed between every effort. But now the motor will not start. Timing has been checked and double checked, I had fuel issues as the lines needed to be re-primed, new plugs and starter fluid does not get a single cylinder to fire.  Compression is ok as it turns over well. Starting fluid sprayed into carb and the intake drains does nothing. The only ignition we ever got was after straying starting fluid directly into the sparkplug holes and then only one hit on #1 and #2
The airflow into the carb on cranking is so low as to not be detectable, but good exhaust flow is noted???
Primer working and gas is coming out the intake drain but the plugs are not getting wet. Screams ofvtrashed up carb to me but it should hit with starting fluid and primer – I think. Is there something in the intake/booster that could cause these symptoms?

I have operated these engines for years and found them very reliable especially for the hit and miss usage schedule I have always had. I’m out of ideas!! Help?

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Vic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: question/help Reply with quote

Starting on mags only or with buzzer coil as is standard ? Check sparks on buzzer coil cable with air closed.

Vic

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: question/help Reply with quote

1. Check the starting coil and starting coil wire to make sure you are getting the spark from the starting coil to the mag. I suspect you are not get the required spark. If you don’t know the best way to test the starting coil and wire, email me off list and I’ll describe the procedure for you. dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net
2. Inadequate TO power may be due to the prop not going to complete flat pitch. *Check the finger screen on the right side of the nose case for blockage.
*Confirm the prop governor arm has full throw in both directions and the cable sleeve itself is not slipping in any of the clamps while the arm is moving.
*Next, remove the prop hub piston and dome and verify the ease of movement of the counterweight arms from fine to coarse pitch. Clean the prop hub piston and dome before reinstalling in the hub.
*When was the last time the hub was completely disassembled, cleaned and the 4 bearings repacked?
Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Oct 20, 2021, at 11:07 AM, jlpartington(at)reagan.com wrote:

I have been fighting an engine issue on a low time since ‘overhauled’, auto plug motor.
I bought the engine from an owner in SoCal who was installing an M-14. I mounted the motor and flew it sporadically for several months with no troubles.
After a two month brake, I started this motor with no issues and found that it would no develop TO power. The power was low and different depending upon which mag(s) were used. As I recall, best was #1. Anyway I had the mags looked at and ended up replacing the coil in one mag.
Life intervened and time passed between every effort.  But now the motor will not start. Timing has been checked and double checked, I had fuel issues as the lines needed to be re-primed, new plugs and starter fluid does not get a single cylinder to fire. Compression is ok as it turns over well. Starting fluid sprayed into carb and the intake drains does nothing. The only ignition we ever got was after straying starting fluid directly into the sparkplug holes and then only one hit on #1 and #2
The airflow into the carb on cranking is so low as to not be detectable, but good exhaust flow is noted???
Primer working and gas is coming out the intake drain but the plugs are not getting wet. Screams ofvtrashed up carb to me but it should hit with starting fluid and primer – I think. Is there something in the intake/booster that could cause these symptoms?

I have operated these engines for years and found them very reliable especially for the hit and miss usage schedule I have always had. I’m out of ideas!! Help?

markbitterlich(at)embarqm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: question/help Reply with quote

I'd add: 

Remove mag caps and verify rotor arms are turning when you pull the prop through. Verify both rotors are pointing to the same cylinder plug at the same time. This is to check that the accessory shaft is not broken, which also will confirm blower is turning.
Perform a proper leakdown compression test. Even on cold engine it should be 80/55 or better. 80/70 hot. 
Continue with starter coil tests as per Dennis along with everything else he said. 
Mark

-------- Original message --------
Date: 10/20/21 4:15 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Yak-List: question/help

1. Check the starting coil and starting coil wire to make sure you are getting the spark from the starting coil to the mag. I suspect you are not get the required spark.  If you don’t know the best way to test the starting coil and wire, email me off list and I’ll describe the procedure for you. dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net
2. Inadequate TO power may be due to the prop not going to complete flat pitch. *Check the finger screen on the right side of the nose case for blockage. 
*Confirm the prop governor arm has full throw in both directions and the cable sleeve itself is not slipping in any of the clamps while the arm is moving. 
*Next, remove the prop hub piston and dome and verify the ease of movement of the counterweight arms from fine to coarse pitch.  Clean the prop hub piston and dome before reinstalling in the hub. 
*When was the last time the hub was completely disassembled, cleaned and the 4 bearings repacked?
Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Oct 20, 2021, at 11:07 AM, jlpartington(at)reagan.com wrote:

I bought the engine from an owner in  SoCal who was installing an M-14.  I mounted the motor and flew it sporadically for several months with no troubles. 
After a two month brake, I started this motor with no issues and found that it would no develop TO power.  The power was low and different depending upon which mag(s) were used.  As I recall, best was #1.  Anyway I had the mags looked at and ended up replacing the coil in one mag.
Life intervened and time passed between every effort.  But now the motor will not start.  Timing has been checked and double checked, I had fuel issues as the lines needed to be re-primed, new plugs and starter fluid does not get a single cylinder to fire.  Compression is ok as it turns over well.  Starting fluid sprayed into carb and the intake drains does nothing.  The only ignition we ever got was after straying starting fluid directly into the sparkplug holes and then only one hit on #1 and #2
Primer working and gas is coming out the intake drain but the plugs are not getting wet.  Screams ofvtrashed up carb to me but it should hit with starting fluid and primer – I think.  Is there something in the intake/booster that could cause these symptoms?

I have operated these engines for years and found them very reliable especially for the hit and miss usage schedule I have always had.  I’m out of ideas!!  Help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: