Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[EXT] SD-8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkane(at)ida.org

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: [EXT] SD-8 Reply with quote

Dear Barry,
I was great to read of your recent aviation activities.  Jerry and I have not flown since 2008.  I sold my Pulsar about this time last year.  Jerry still owns his.
Be safe and hopefully we will meet sometime soon.
Tom & Luanne Kane
703.624-2833 mobile

From: owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of BARRY NORMAN
Sent: Wednesday, November 3, 2021 3:40 PM
To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: [EXT] Pulsar-List: SD-8

*** This email originated outside of IDA. Please verify that you recognize the sender and know the content is safe before proceeding. ***

Hello Folks,

Hope all is well out there with our fellow Pulsar friends. Just wanted to post a little information on a modification I made a couple of weeks ago that really improved the usability of electronics aboard the Pulsar. Over the last several years I replaced the standard steam gauges with dual GRT Horizons, AHRS and magnetometers. Flying with the new equipment has been great but has pushed the electrical output of the Rotax 912s to it's limit's. Often I would see up to 16 or more amps pulled while using the autopilot with no external lights being used. This would sometimes cause sensor warning form the EIS due to low voltage creating bad readings. 

As a result, I installed an SD-8 vacuum pump pad alternator and a secondary electrical bus that feeds alternate power inputs for the two Horizons, AHRS and com. It only produces 8 amps but was enough to lower the load on the main bus to alleviate low voltage issues. I added a small second battery on the secondary bus as well. The equipment automatically pulls from the bus with the highest voltage and creates another backup in case of main bus electrical failure. I rarely see more than 8 amps pulled off the main bus now.

The SD-8 is just over $600 on aircraft spruce and comes with most of the items needed for installation with the exception of a few breakers. It's about the same size as a vacuum pump and bolts in it's place.

Hope this might help a few of you guys out there having similar issues.

Cheers,

Barry Norman

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: