Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

P-leads connector

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fasilpereira

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: P-leads connector Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm installing my engine and I like to have connectors everywhere to make it easier to remove and install the engine.

What kind of connectors would be recommended on the Mags P-leads?

I was considering a CPC or maybe a Seal-all, but since the wires are shielded, I'm not sure if connecting the shields though these connectors will be effective supressing the ignition noise.

Thank you,

Fabricio

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: P-leads connector Reply with quote

At 05:41 PM 4/7/2022, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "fasilpereira" <fasilpereira(at)yahoo.com>

Hi,

I'm installing my engine and I like to have connectors everywhere to make it easier to remove and install the engine.

I was considering a CPC or maybe a Seal-all, but since the wires are shielded, I'm not sure if connecting the shields though these connectors will be effective supressing the ignition noise.

Thank you,

Fabricio

Not recommended. Ignition 'noises' will not be
materially affected by breaking the p-leads with
a connector . . . but it DOES introduce risk
of discontinuity by reason of 6 new joints added
to the magneto control system. Joints that add
very low if any utility to maintenance of the
airplane.

The amount of wire from firewall to rear of mags
approaches trivial . . . easily managed during
engine remove/replace operations.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

fasilpereira

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: P-leads connector Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

Removing/reinstalling the wires to the mags really don't bother me. I just don't like to mess with cables that are beautifully routed and properly supported.

Since my Rotax ignition system is designed that way by the airframe factory (and I really like that!), I was considering that option.

But you are right, it will affect the reliability of the system. It may not be a problem on the Rotax because it will not start if turned by hand with the ignition not grounded, but it may be risky on a conventional Magneto engine.

Thank you for the advice!

Fabricio

skywagon185(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: P-leads connector Reply with quote

P- Leads .....
Quote:
Fabricio,
Do use Bob's suggestion about using  a solid connection.
An added detail is wire it knowing that engine "Shake" is hard on the connection especially it you have used too short of a P-lead harness.  Leave it long enough to secure well but tolerate engine movement during start and stop periods.  The extra length will allow you to repair the P-lead in case future vibration breaks the lead at the mag.
D

On Fri, Apr 8, 2022 at 8:53 AM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
At 05:41 PM 4/7/2022, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "fasilpereira" <fasilpereira(at)yahoo.com (fasilpereira(at)yahoo.com)>

Hi,

Thank you,

Fabricio

Not recommended. Ignition 'noises' will not be
  materially affected by breaking the p-leads with
  a connector . . . but it DOES introduce risk
  of discontinuity by reason of 6 new joints added
  to the magneto control system. Joints that add
  very low if any utility to maintenance of the
  airplane.

The amount of wire from firewall to rear of mags
  approaches trivial . . . easily managed during
  engine remove/replace operations.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
  survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
  out of that stuff?"

donjohnston

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: P-leads connector Reply with quote

Considering the number of times an engine is removed, I don't think a connector for the mags is worth it.

Just my .02

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: