Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TiresTiresTires

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tompkinsl(at)integra.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: TiresTiresTires Reply with quote

How well does the small tire size work on backcountry strips? I enjoy going to Idaho in my Cherokee 180, but hope to put the shorter field capability of the -7 to use to get to some of the strips I have been bypassing.

I am concerned that the small tires won't handle rougher strips very well. Are the wheel pants easy to get off? Could one remove the wheel pants and put on a spare mounted set of 6" tires for those backcountry occasions?

Larry Tompkins

Installing antennas and wiring in wings, fuselage next.

TomkinsL(at)integra.net (TomkinsL(at)integra.net)
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
aurbo(at)ak.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: TiresTiresTires Reply with quote

Larry,
The stock Van's axle is too short for 6" wheels and tires. A larger axle length can be special ordered. I don't have the gents name with me here at work but if your interested let me know and I will post the info later. I have a set of gear legs ordered so that I can run the 6" wheels with larger tires. Of course this opens up all sorts of other concerns, increased drag, increased weight, wheel pants won't fit etc. But with the increased diameter and width of the larger tires increasing the non-standard airport safety I believe it is a good trade off. I had the same concerns as you with non-standard airports, in Alaska there are a lot of them.
Mike Ice
RV-9

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: TiresTiresTires Reply with quote

I would like info on the larger axle length. For us Nose draggers, is anyone aware of a supplier or interested in producing a larger nose wheel fork?

Bevan
RV7A finish kit

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Michael Ice
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 9:45 AM
To: rv7-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RV7-List: TiresTiresTires

Larry,
The stock Van's axle is too short for 6" wheels and tires. A larger axle length can be special ordered. I don't have the gents name with me here at work but if your interested let me know and I will post the info later. I have a set of gear legs ordered so that I can run the 6" wheels with larger tires. Of course this opens up all sorts of other concerns, increased drag, increased weight, wheel pants won't fit etc. But with the increased diameter and width of the larger tires increasing the non-standard airport safety I believe it is a good trade off. I had the same concerns as you with non-standard airports, in Alaska there are a lot of them.
Mike Ice
RV-9

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: