Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Green Landings update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Green Landings update Reply with quote

Guys,

I am way overdue for this, but better late than never.

As you may know, three of us work out of Green Landings (see www.greenlandings.com) to offer Lightning sales and a build center for both Lightnings and SkyRangers (see www.skyrangeraircraft.com).  A little more than three weeks ago we completed our first Lightning. We had gone to Tennesee to do the preliminary fitting of wings and tailfeathers, only about 4 days of work, and then worked in our own shops ever since. Quite a challenge, since we had no build manual. But from our experience, trial and error, along with many, many phone calls to Shelbyville and not a few emails, we completed our bird.

We have over 30 hours on it now. For those of you who are serious flight test engineers, I will have to disappoint you.   We simply love to fly and are not following much of a test plan. Initially it was takeoffs, full throttle runs to check on cooling, chasing gremlins of various components and just fun flying.

No, we dont have the wheel pants and fairings on it yet, partly because we are busy building the next two with their owners! We are just blasting around the sky at 160 mph indicated and doing whatever we feel like! The latest has been doing rolls. It was discovered that you can actually gain altitude solo doing rolls, so well over 40 rolls have been performed with different degrees of success. The unnamed pilot claims it rolls like an Extra 300. Since the rest of us havent flown one of those, we cant confirm.

We have no fuel flow numbers to crunch, no prop pitch to recomend ( we keeps changing it)and no takeoff and landing data. It takes off quick, flys fast and handles reasonably well at low speeds. We fly off a grass strip that is 2200 feet and a bit bumpy in spots. No problem. With full flaps, you will never overshoot a landing!

It was a little dramatic to fly at first because of the performance, but the handling made that much easier. It is an honest airplane in roll and pitch, there is enough rudder for low speed handlings and requires virtually no rudder at speeds. To me it is two airplanes. It flys one way at less than 100 mph and another when faster.

It is a great bird to chase RV-6s and an occasional Swift. It makes you feel good to know you have RV performance at almost 1/2 the fuel burn and perhaps 1/10 the build time. Plus it draws a crowd when we go for fuel!

So sorry if this is a bit goofy for a pilot report. I have been goofy for a long time. But loving our Lightning.

Doug Koenigsberg
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
CHMIK(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Green Landings update Reply with quote

Congratulations on your flight. I hope to recieve the Lightning kit I ordered from Ryan at "Green Landings" later this month. He has been very helpful to me so far..... charlie keith... (FKN) [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Green Landings update Reply with quote

Hey Doug,
Congratulations to all of your crew. Sounds like you guys are having fun as I knew you would. The Lightning really is a fantastic airplane - Fast and economical to build, fast and economical to fly.
Blue Skies,
Buz
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: