Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EFIS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Falco-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger.curtis(at)thermo.co

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: EFIS Reply with quote

I am still in the process of building my Falco, Plans building is a slooooow process, but is fun and challenging.

Over the past year or so, I have been looking into EFIS systems, and have been looking at the Grand Rapids Technologies unit with a lot of interest.  This unit seems to have about everything you might want at a reasonable price.  The price is a little higher than Dynon, but it has more features.  I would say, from reading and comparing specs that it compares very favorably to the Chelton unit, but it is not certified.  The OP Technologies EFIS, at first glance, seems to have all the bells and whistles, but with a considerably higher price.  Whatever your needs, I feel that EFIS is the way to go.

I would be interested in feedback on the Grand Rapids Technologies system, if anyone has first hand knowledge of ease of use and reliability.

Roger Curtis 
Massachusetts (USA)

- The Matronics Falco-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Falco-List
votorschair(at)earthlink.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: EFIS Reply with quote

Thanks Roger,

I haven’t looked closely at the Grand Rapids Technologies EFIS, but when I called and talked with the folks at TruTrak Autopilots, they were highly complimentary of the GRT EFIS.  There is an avionics shop near me in Leesburg, VA, who spoke highly of the GRT/TruTrak combination.  You can look at their website and contact them at http://www.avionikits.com/.  

I wonder if there is anyone in the Falco world out there that has looked closely at the OP Technologies EFIS, or has heard of any good or bad reports on the system.

Al Aitken

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mwiebe(at)sympatico.ca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: EFIS Reply with quote

Flying the Falco just coming up to four years.  Part of the job was a custom panel, just VFR, and with traditional steam gauges.  Unfortunately a little too soon for EFIS.  However, as we now near completion of the next project (a Murphy Elite on amphibs, to replace the Rebel we had before the Falco), there is no choice but EFIS. 

We have chosen Grand Rapids dual EFIS display system with a single AHRS and single magnetometer.  The machine is essentially VFR, but I can see days, like Al, where I might get caught and want the safety of this system.  It’s also a lot lighter, reasonably redundant with two displays (it could be more so with dual AHRS), and eliminates vacuum needs.

In choosing GRT, I considered many factors.  I came to the conclusion that every system has its pros and cons, and for us, the GRT was the best “compromise”.  Considerations were price (couldn’t afford to even look at Chelton) and size of display.  Also, it links seamlessly with the Tru-Trak autopilot and all the Garmin/UPS radios, including the 430/530, SL30/40 nav/comms, and their GTX transponders.   The EFIS takes advantage of much information from these systems, and also outputs to many of them.  For our needs (and an extra $350 as I recall), we also got one of the systems with a built in Garmin GPS engine.  I also liked the designer’s background (727 display systems) and his approach to redundancy and fault tolerance. 

Another consideration is that any one of these shops could go belly up tomorrow.  I can’t control that, but I did consider that my risk was limited by the fact that GRT is also home to the long standing EIS LCD-panel engine monitoring system, and the EFIS designer is also company owner of the Princeton capacitance fuel gauges. 

I’m wiring now.  I’m sure I’ll come back here and gush ecstatically when all that glass lights up for the first time.  Only one fault I can see with an “all electric” float plane.  If I ever flip it over, not only do I have to worry about safe egress upside down in the water, I might also electrocute myself…..

Mike  

votorschair(at)earthlink.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: EFIS Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Good on you!  Just for clarification…the GRT’s will go into the Elite?  Not the Falco?  Are you still considering an upgrade of the Falco panel?

Al

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Falco-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: