Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about wire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sshook(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Question about wire Reply with quote

Fellow Builders/Flyers…I am placing an order with Spruce and wanted to know how much of the 22GA wire that most builders ordered?
I would like to at least get a ballpark as to how much I might need figuring runs back to the Empennage for Electric Trim and Rudder Tail Light. Runs to wings for capacitive fuel senders, aileron trim, auto pilot, and runs for the nav lights, pitot heat, panel?!?!?. As soon as my copy of AeroElectric Connection gets here I will have some better idea, I wanted to know if 300’ is enough or should I go higher?
Also, any input or advice on multiple gauge wires that I may not have thought of would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Scott & Jenni Shook
RV-7A N696JS
Working on Wings – QB Fuse ordered today!!! [quote][b]

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
stein(at)steinair.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Question about wire Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

Use AWG22 for most all of your avionics and sensor wire interconnects. I would also get AWG18, AWG16, AWG14 and a little bit of AWG20. Get plenty of AWG18 and plenty AWG22 as they will be the most prevalent. The electric trim takes shielded multi-conductor wire, as do the audio components (use 3 conductor shielded wire for both headset & mic jacks). Depending on the rest of your panel goodies there are a lot of variable. For example some pitot tubes come with wire, but others need the AWG14. Some landing lights like HID's only need AWG20, whilst 100W halogens will need at least AWG16. The Autopilot is best just to buy the "servo wire" that is pre-bundled because it needs 5 or 6 AWG22 wires and 2 AWG20 wires. Nav lights can vary depending on whether they are LED or Incandescent.

I know that's not a lot of help, but honestly wire is cheap so just buy a bunch of it..you'll most likely need more than 300' for the whole airplane, especially in combined sizes. Heck if you're wiring yoru AP from scratch, a typical AP servo run of 18' (x 7 wires) uses up 125' right there!

Hope that helps...clear as mud right!

Cheers,
Stein.
[quote] --

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: