Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electrical wiring routing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tompkinsl(at)integra.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Electrical wiring routing Reply with quote

For those of you who have gotten to or past this point, is there a universl choice for routing electrical wiring and coax from the wings to the instrument panel?

There will be one nav coax, one MB coax, switched 12V supply to strobe power pack (CreativAir, mounted on center spar carry-through?), power leads to position lights and landing lights, RiteAngle AOA sensor on left wing and TruTrak wing servo on right wing.

I guess the choice is either through the sidewalls or into fuselage center and forward to the firewall. Trying to determine if there is a consensus. Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Larry
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
dan(at)rvproject.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Electrical wiring routing Reply with quote

There is definitely not a concensus on this. There's no RIGHT or WRONG way either. Just run your wires in a way that lets you can get at them somewhat easily in case you need to add or remove something. Make sure they don't chafe on anything (either by using conduit or securing them to stuff with cushioned clamps and what not), and consider trying to minimize the length of the run to keep weight & cost & resistance low. Sorry to be vague, but it's literally a blank sheet...do it however you feel is best.

There are probably a few examples on the web that you could follow. "Known good."

Van's does sell wiring harness kits, so if you don't mind being confined to their layout and design that's an easy way to go. I can probably count on one hand the # of people I know who used Van's wiring harness. Most seem to prefer laying out their wires themselves.

Hope this 2 cents helps.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (1165 hours)
www.rvproject.com / www.weathermeister.com
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lhelming(at)sigecom.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Electrical wiring routing Reply with quote

I agree with Dan that there are many ways to do it. I ran my wing wires up the sides of my forward fuselage. And I see no problem with routing it under the center floor panel/cover that leads to the heater vent area. The heat there is not hot enough to cause any problems. When I ran mine, I was concerned about that and the fuel lines under there and picked the side area.

Although your question did not ask, I suggest you try to run your longest wire runs first. Pick some routes (or wiring runways) behind the panel and route each wire using one of them even if it means using more wire than the shortest route. Deciding where your main busses and grounds are going to be located has considerable impact on the wiring routes. Best wishes.

Larry in Indiana, 170 hours, N3XG (the RV7 SunSeeker)
[quote]

There is definitely not a concensus on this. There's no RIGHT or WRONG way either. Just run your wires in a way that lets you can get at them somewhat easily in case you need to add or remove something. Make sure they don't chafe on anything (either by using conduit or securing them to stuff with cushioned clamps and what not), and consider trying to minimize the length of the run to keep weight & cost & resistance low. Sorry to be vague, but it's literally a blank sheet...do it however you feel is best.

There are probably a few examples on the web that you could follow. "Known good."

Van's does sell wiring harness kits, so if you don't mind being confined to their layout and design that's an easy way to go. I can probably count on one hand the # of people I know who used Van's wiring harness. Most seem to prefer laying out their wires themselves.

Hope this 2 cents helps.

)_( Dan
[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: