Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pitot Static Fittings & Final Painting Cabin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danbergeronham(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Pitot Static Fittings & Final Painting Cabin Reply with quote

I've just intalled two Cessna type static ports, one on each side of my RV-7A fuse, in the approx location suggested by Vans for their pop rivet static port. The nipple on the Cessna static ports is 1/4" OD, which of course requires 1/4" ID tubing. So far, so good. I also want to install two Cessna type pitot static sump bottles (which collect moisture from the static system) one on each side. (See page 382 of the 06-07 Aircraft Spruce catalogue for a pix of both these items.) The sump bottles are plastic, and have threaded, plastic, male fittings on each end of the bottle, which are of slightly different sizes. My problem is how to connect the tubing to the sump bottles. Obviously I need adadpter fittings of some sort. Page 118 of the 06-07 catalogue lists a variety of tubing-to-pipe fittings, but I don't see anything that seems to be right. (I'm not terribly familia r with this type of hardware.) Has anyone been there with this problem and, if so, where did you find the hardware?

Second question: I'm about ready to finish paint the cabin interior, and have removed everything that's removable for painting on a spray table. All parts have been previously primed with Sherwin Williams Industrial Wash Primer, some as far back as a year ago. The finish coat will be a Sherwin Williams, custom mixed, automotive paint, which the local Sherwin Williams paint guru assured me is compatible with the primer. Since I primed some of the parts as far back as a year ago and the primer has hardened, he suggested that I go over them lightly with a Scotch Brite pad to achieve better adhesion of the top coat. I've also thought that it might be good to wash them with some type of suitable solvent, but which one. So: Would it be a good idea to rough up the primer with Scotch Brite pads before applying the finish coat, and to wash with a solvent? Anyone been there on this one? < /div>
Tnx for any advice.

Dan Bergeron
RV-7A
N307TB (reserved)

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
pablo(at)phonewave.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Pitot Static Fittings & Final Painting Cabin Reply with quote

The same plastic fittings that are used on R.O. (Reverse Osmosis) units are usually available at Hardware stores. Brass threaded nuts and ferrules are also compatible with plastic tubing as in swamp cooler applications. Hardware stores usually have rolls of diferent size tubing in white, black and blue.
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

retasker(at)optonline.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Pitot Static Fittings & Final Painting Cabin Reply with quote

danbergeronham(at)aol.com wrote:

Quote:
I've just intalled two Cessna type static ports, one on each side of
my RV-7A fuse, in the approx location suggested by Vans for their pop
rivet static port. The nipple on the Cessna static ports is 1/4" OD,
which of course requires 1/4" ID tubing. So far, so good. I also
want to install two Cessna type pitot static sump bottles (which
collect moisture from the static system) one on each side. (See page
382 of the 06-07 Aircraft Spruce catalogue for a pix of both these
items.) The sump bottles are plastic, and have threaded,
plastic, male fittings on each end of the bottle, which are of
slightly different sizes. My problem is how to connect the tubing to
the sump bottles. Obviously I need adadpter fittings of some sort.
Page 118 of the 06-07 catalogue lists a variety of tubing-to-pipe
fittings, but I don't see anything that seems to be right. (I'm not
terribly familia r with this type of hardware.) Has anyone been there
with this problem and, if so, where did you find the hardware?

The fittings are 1/8 MNPT on one end and 7/16-20 (SAE 4) male on the
other. I made my own adapters (my company has a machine shop) but
www.mcmaster.com has a wide selection of all types of metal and plastic
fittings so I suspect you can find something there that will do what you
want. I have bought a number of different adapters and fittings there
for my pitot/static system.

Dick Tasker
--
Please Note:
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however,
that a significant number of electrons may have been temporarily inconvenienced.
--

dsvs(at)ca.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Pitot Static Fittings & Final Painting Cabin Reply with quote

Dan,
Scptch Brite yes, solvent, no. The solvent will wash away the primer.
Don

[quote] --

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: