Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stabs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wb2ssj(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: stabs Reply with quote

High Buz, been working on the Lightning now that Winter has set in here in Rochester,Ny. Have been having fun and have had a few problems that I have talked to Nick about. I am afraid to mention things here because of the misrepenstation of my comments by the readers of this site. I don't want to start something like what goes on over like "Jabiru vs. Rotax". There are people who feed on every word to trash something they don't even know about. The perfect example is the what happened to the Kitfox Net.
It was good to see you at Sun&fun last year, I will be there again in April. Will you bring the Cub or the ESQUAL?
I have a tech question you might be able to answer. I have 2 degrees difference in incidence on the hor. stabs. I have no way of getting it closer. What effect will it have on the trim of the aircraft other then drag?
Again good to here from you. TEX
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: stabs Reply with quote

Hi Tex,
Good to hear from you as well. I have been meaning to ask you, "How in heck did a guy from NY get a name like Tex?" There's got to be a story there. Anyway, yes I plan to be at SNF (I have not missed if for over 15 years) and will be there in the Esqual LS (w/ Lightning stuff). I only took the Cub the last two years because of the Cub Convoy in 2006, and in 2005 had just sold the Bonanza, didn't have room for camping gear in the Pitts, and didn't want to drive or fly on the big birds. SNF 2005 was the year I ordered the Esqual kit from Pete, took delivery in September and flew it in December. With their help, or course.
As to your question:
have a tech question you might be able to answer. I have 2 degrees difference in incidence on the hor. stabs. I have no way of getting it closer. What effect will it have on the trim of the aircraft other then drag?
The way I would look at this is "what is the Cosine of 2 degrees" (that would be the effective difference from the straight - no induced drag position? Answer, some really small number, so don't sweat the small stuff. You will not notice the difference. You might loose 1 mph of cruise speed, but it could also work towards your advantage and not possibly require some other trim correction incase the wing incidence is also not perfect. Airplanes, especially homebuilt ones, are a compromise of many factors. But at the speeds we fly in, the overall effects are relatively small and therefore easy to over come with other trim adjustments or at worse, control inputs or trim tabs. What you are talking about will probably not even be noticeable.
A story I like to tell has to do with a similar situation. When I was building my Pitts - about the same time another friend was also building one, we would call Curtis Pitts as ask questions about things like this. My friend, when he assemble his un-covered airplane for the first time, measured the distance from each wing tip to the top of the rudder post. One side was 3/4 inch more that the other side. Wow, he thought, what the heck am I going to do, this thing will fly like "sh_t".  Well he called Curtis and explained the problem and Curtis said, "Damn, 3/4 of an inch. That's almost perfect." Sure enough, no problem, the plane flew great. Yours will also.
Blue Skies,
Buz
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: