Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lightning Flight Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phyrcooler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Lightning Flight Review Reply with quote

Is anyone aware of any published, unbiased flight reviews of the Lightning? Like all good consumers, I am searching out as much info as I can find. And while I appreciate owners reports and manufacturers stats, it is nice to read reports from 3rd parties who have no emotion (meaning thousands of dollars or hundreds of hours) invested.

Thanks all!

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Lightning Flight Review Reply with quote

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Lightning Flight Review Reply with quote

To Phyrcooler,
Some time ago (I will have to check my log book, but probably early last summer) Pete of Arion Aircraft invited me to fly the prototype Lightning in order to provide an unbiased evaluation of the aircraft before they started selling kits. For insurance purposes Arion Aircraft had intended that the prototype only be flown by Nick, (He is their test pilot and production manager.) and then be destroyed when they had a production demonstration Lightning up and flying. This is not unusual for prototype aircraft - to either be destroyed or end up in a museum in a non flyable condition. Nick's evaluation of the Lightning had been all very positive and Pete just wanted someone that was not part of their company to fly the prototype to see if Nick (who had also been part of the design team) was "shooting straight". Pete was comfortable with me flying his airplanes based on my past flight and test experiences, total flying time, types of aircraft flown, and the fact that I had already made the initial test flight on five other different homebuilt aircraft. I had also previously flown the hybrid Lightning (Esqual fuselage with Lightning wings) several times as well as all models of the Jabiru aircraft that they sell. 
The results of my test flight were published on the Esqual yahoo list at the time (the Lightning list had not been started as I recall) and you can probably go there and read it. But the bottom line is - Nick is a straight shooter.
The Lightning is a great flying kit aircraft. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone that wanted to get into the air quickly and economically in a beautiful airplane that has amazing performance on only 120 HP. When they finally do finish the demonstrator, everyone else will get a chance to see just what Nick has been saying. As I recall, Earl Ferguson (on this list) is the only other person up to now to fly a Lightning that is not someway connected with the Lightning company. He built one of the early Lightning kits and has flown off his test time and has his aircraft back home in Georgia. Several other Lightnings are very close to flying (may have flown this week) and plans are to have at least five flying Lightnings at Sun-N-Fun.
Don't hesitate to ask additional questions.  I may not get back immediately, but I will eventually get to your question.
Blue Skies,
Buz

[quote][b]

deuskid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Lightning Flight Review Reply with quote

[quote="N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM"] <snip>

The results of my test flight were published on the Esqual yahoo list at the time (the Lightning list had not been started as I recall) and you can probably go there and read it. But the bottom line is - Nick is a straight shooter.
The Lightning is a great flying kit aircraft. <snip>
Blue Skies,
Buz
Quote:
[b]

Is there a Yahoo Lightning group? I tried to find it just now and it didn't 'appear' when I did a couple of searches...

Any link or forum name available?

thanks

John

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Lightning Flight Review Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/19/2007 9:19:19 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, empire.john(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
Is there a Yahoo Lightning group?

John,
No, you are on the only Lightning list that I am aware of. The Esqual list was on yahoo (esqualtalk(at)yahoogroups.com (esqualtalk(at)yahoogroups.com)) but I think that most of the guys are not on this matronics Lightning list. I will find the file for the Lightning flight review I wrote and re-publish it on this list for the new list joiners to read.
Blue Skies,
Buz
[quote][b]

pequeajim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Lightning Flight Review Reply with quote

Buzz:

Thanks for the flight review information. I am going down to WV this weekend to look at the aicraft.

Jim!

On 1/19/07, N1BZRich(at)aol.com (N1BZRich(at)aol.com) <N1BZRich(at)aol.com (N1BZRich(at)aol.com)> wrote: [quote] In a message dated 1/19/2007 9:19:19 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, empire.john(at)gmail.com (empire.john(at)gmail.com) writes:
Quote:
Is there a Yahoo Lightning group?

John,
No, you are on the only Lightning list that I am aware of. The Esqual list was on yahoo (esqualtalk(at)yahoogroups.com (esqualtalk(at)yahoogroups.com)) but I think that most of the guys are not on this matronics Lightning list. I will find the file for the Lightning flight review I wrote and re-publish it on this list for the new list joiners to read.
Blue Skies,
Buz
Quote:

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: