Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipping a Lightning for IFR
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Equipping a Lightning for IFR Reply with quote

Johnny,
If you live in sunny Arizona you will not ever need to fly IFR - 364 &1/2 days of VFR weather with a 1/2 day dust storm. Wink Having lived there for many years, I envy you. But to answer your question, I have sent photos of the servo install before directly to individuals, but will send them again if the list will accept that much data. If it does not go through the list, I will send to you directly.
Blue Skies,
Buz Rich

As I was afraid of, file with pictures of servos was too large. I will send to you off list.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
pequeajim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Equipping a Lightning for IFR Reply with quote

Buz:

I would also like to see your photos as I would be heading in the same direction.

Jim!

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of N1BZRich(at)aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:06 AM
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Lightning-List: Equipping a Lightning for IFR

Johnny,

If you live in sunny Arizona you will not ever need to fly IFR - 364 &1/2 days of VFR weather with a 1/2 day dust storm. Wink Having lived there for many years, I envy you. But to answer your question, I have sent photos of the servo install before directly to individuals, but will send them again if the list will accept that much data. If it does not go through the list, I will send to you directly.

Blue Skies,

Buz Rich

As I was afraid of, file with pictures of servos was too large. I will send to you off list.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pete(at)flylightning.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Equipping a Lightning for IFR Reply with quote

The Grand Rapids actually does more for less. The cost of the Horizon Sport
plus internal GPS plus EIS engine monitor is less than $4,000 and includes
such things as terrain database, full GPS database, Synthetic GPS
approaches, runway extensions, Flight plan, GPS Steering for an autopilot,
three different GPS map screens, split screen with flight instruments on
left and Map on right. Add the XM receiver and get weather right on the
screen.

To me it seems like the Dynon is quite expensive for what it does. But - to
each his own.

Pete

--

vettin74(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Equipping a Lightning for IFR Reply with quote

I have flown the smaller D10A in the lightning prototype and was very unhappy with it ,the unit would not keep up with the aircraft....we are not talking anything extreme either .....and despite numorous calls and shipping it back and forth to dynon the unit would never worked and eventually they told me it was installers error...now i was the installer and i don't have a problem beeing told i did sometheing wrong but the D10A is a plug and play unit it is self contained and other the installing it level there is nothing special about it........so i wonder about customer support?

we all have opinions though.

nick

Charles Dewey <cdewey6969(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
[quote]--> Lightning-List message posted by: Charles Dewey

Thanks all for the advice on the Grand Rapids vs
Chelton vs. Dynon. I have already bought the Dynon and
hope it works out ok. They claim it was used on Space
Ship One. As far as I know it is just an artificial
horizon and engine monitoring gauges all in one
screen. My system only cost like 3500 if I remember
correctly. I also have a 496 Garmin and hope to get XM
weather through that. Why is the Grand Rapid system so
expensive- it said 8900 starting price on the website?

--- N1BZRi(at)aol.com wrote:

[quote] Charles,
I have not flown the newest Dynon EFIS you
describe, but it sounds like
the GRT screens with their split screen options -
all flight instruments, all
engine instruments, or all GPS map, or any
combination of the above on each
screen. However, I will soon get to fly with the
new Dynon as the EAA
chapter airplane we are building has the Dynon
(price consideration) and I will be
making the initial flight in the airplane.
At this point, I am sold on the Grand Rapids
based on flying it for
about 240 hours. I have a dual screen GRT panel.
It does it all (with the
built in GPS) to include a synthetic approach,
terrain awareness, wind, G-meter,
etc., etc. It will even do weather like the 396
and 496 if you spend an
extra $1500 (less than buying a 396). I will
likely do that sometime after
Sun-N-Fun. GRT told me at Oshkosh if I would wait
until SNF the weather option
would also include XM radio. Wow, tunes while on a
long cross country. Right
now I have a CD player, but XM radio will be great.
I have it in my hangar.
I looked closely at the Dynon and chose the GRT for
several reasons. One
very important one, Pete and his guys are much more
familiar with GRT having Have a burning question? Go to Yahoo! Answers and get answers from real people who know. [quote][b]

cdewey6969(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Equipping a Lightning for IFR Reply with quote

I wish this info was available on Lightning's website
prior to ordering my Dynon. This is the first
discussion I have seen on avionics.
--- Pete <pete(at)flylightning.net> wrote:

[quote]
<pete(at)flylightning.net>

The Grand Rapids actually does more for less. The
cost of the Horizon Sport
plus internal GPS plus EIS engine monitor is less
than $4,000 and includes
such things as terrain database, full GPS database,
Synthetic GPS
approaches, runway extensions, Flight plan, GPS
Steering for an autopilot,
three different GPS map screens, split screen with
flight instruments on
left and Map on right. Add the XM receiver and get
weather right on the
screen.

To me it seems like the Dynon is quite expensive for
what it does. But - to
each his own.

Pete

--

pequeajim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Equipping a Lightning for IFR Reply with quote

You know Pete, this is also what I am trying to figure out. I have some
awareness of the different systems, but not enough to make an educated
decision of what to put in the panel.

Although I'm not looking for a Swiss Army Knife, I would think the unit
would need to have at least the following advantages:

- Strong software support without having to pay a yearly maintenance fee.
- Bright display
- Multi-pane screen
- Ease of use
- Mixed engine and flight functions

Those are just some thoughts...

--

IFLYSMODEL(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Equipping a Lightning for IFR Reply with quote

Hey Pete: I agree that your answer sounds great. However, I just checked the Grand Rapids site, and apparently the prices have drastically changed. The Sport does not appear to be offered any more, (they are working hard to fill back orders) and the new one that does everything is 8995.
Do you have an in with someone to order the stuff at a lesser price?
Lynn Nelsen (Lightning Wannabee)
[quote][b]

pete(at)flylightning.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Equipping a Lightning for IFR Reply with quote

The Sport is available. Lead times are getting shorter. Pricing is t http://www.grtavionics.com/documents/EFIS%20Flyer%20Sun%20n%20Fun%202006.pdf I agree that Greg needs to spend more time on the site but believe me – a great deal of effort is going into the Sport EFIS. Soon it will be able to interface with a Garmin 330 transponder to display traffic as well as weather, terrain, and GPS. We sell a lot of dual Sport installations. Dual Sport with GPS and engine monitoring is $6200.00.

Pete

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of IFLYSMODEL(at)aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 4:04 PM
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Lightning-List: Equipping a Lightning for IFR

Hey Pete: I agree that your answer sounds great. However, I just checked the Grand Rapids site, and apparently the prices have drastically changed. The Sport does not appear to be offered any more, (they are working hard to fill back orders) and the new one that does everything is 8995.

Do you have an in with someone to order the stuff at a lesser price?

Lynn Nelsen (Lightning Wannabee)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

IFLYSMODEL(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Equipping a Lightning for IFR Reply with quote

Thanks Pete: That is great info. I've got to get up to Shelbyville and nose around. If I can get a demo flight and determine that the Lightning meets my needs, I hope to sell my Bonanza and move to the Lightning crowd. That dual Sport with engine monitoring and GPS sounds great. Were you at the Light Sport Expo?
Do you have any sort of sun shade for those of us in the Florida (or other hot/sunny climate). I fly an Ercoupe a lot, and it is great with the windows open/down. But it is a 60 year old airplane and does not fill all my requirements.
Lynn Nelsen
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: