Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lightning Costs, performance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EAFerguson(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Lightning Costs, performance Reply with quote

With all the questions flying on the Lightning List, I'm way behind in posting information on N17EF. Here are some answers regarding my LSA Lightning.

Cost. I used the factory build program - two weeks in Shelbyville. In addition, I spent probably another two weeks there one or two days at a time. I live in Atlanta, 3 hours drive away.

Since I'm flying under Light Sport rules, I don't have the gear clean up stuff, and expense. I have a single GRT Horizon EFIS with installed GPS (not the Sport version) and a GRT EIS. I also elected to install a regular Nav/Com with Glide Scope, but no indicator - the EFIS will provide that. Ground adjustable prop. Jabiru 3300.Full lighting and strobes. No interior or autopilot yet. My intent is to have an IFR certifiable A/C if I get my medical back. I should have installed a heated pitot, which I will have to install later to be IFR legal.

All that cost about $65,000, exclusive of several hundred $$ spent for accommodations, meals and travel expenses. Note that some costs have increased since I started. The kit has gone up some I'm not sure about the amount). GRT charges more for the EFIS - mine was $5900+/-. So allow $70,000 to build one similar to mine. Add about $2500 for the interior. An autopilot would be nice to have. I don't have A/P cost data, but Buz has posted that here earlier.

Those interested in Light Sport should be aware that most of the performance numbers being quoted are for non-LSA versions. Since we have to leave the gear clean-up off, and are limited on prop pitch by the FAA 120K limit. we won't be seeing the airspeeds that BUZ and others are reporting. Also, because of the higher drag, you will get higher fuel consumption. I'm collecting fuel burn data now, and will post something when I get more points plotted. Preliminary results are for around 5GPH at 2750 rpm. Above 2850, the fuel burn goes up rapidly. Stay tuned for numbers at higher speeds.

To make the LSA stall speed, I had to use the vortex generators. Nick will confirm that I resisted that to the bitter end, finally installed them to make the 45K clean stall requirement. Be aware that the low speed handling is different with the VGs. Control doesn't get mushy at low speeds. As a result there is not much stall warning before the nose falls through. Something to avoid on landings. Unless John Davis has installed VGs I thing I'm the only Lightning flying with them. I've suggested to Nick that the VGs should be omitted for 18" to 24" out from the fuselage so the wing root stalls first, and hopefully provides some early stall indication.

Some of the questions were about the necessity for the factory builder assistance. In my case there wasn't much choice. I had never built an aircraft before, and just didn't know the necessary details. I'm also close enough to Shelbyville to run up there with problems and questions.

Finally, the folks in the Shelbyville hanger have been absolutely great to deal with. I don't know the people at the other build centers well, but those I have met seem very competent.

Enough for now!

Earl Ferguson
N17EF at FTY (Atlanta)

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: