Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flying off the hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Flying off the hours Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/28/2007 1:59:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, pequeajim(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
So, from Green Landings, I could request that the center of my test area be,
say Gettysburg, (about 40nm from GL and 40+nm from Lancaster). That would
make it work.

Jim,
It all depends. Will the FAA inspector or DAR in that area approve that type of operation? Some builders in other parts of the US even have a hard time getting a 50 mile radius approved for their designated test area - once again it depends on the local FAA / DAR that you are working with. Just like different DARs charge different amounts to do the inspection, some have different thoughts on what they are comfortable approving or not. So, it all depends. Check with the Doug and the guys in WV to see how their FAA and/or DAR think about approving the type of operation you are talking about.
Buz
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Kayberg(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Flying off the hours Reply with quote

Jim,

We have two different DAR's that we work with, one is just cheaper than the other!!!

One favors using a more uninhabited center point (Cumberland, MD) and the other (more expensive) will be more liberal. But I dont think it would be a problem with either. There will be some strong lectures about avoiding Camp David but that should be about it.

Ryan would be the one to arrange that.

I dont know what your pilot skills are like, but as long as you will pay for the gas, Ryan will help get the first 5 hours or so on it. We like to fly in the morning before work, take a flying break a bit later,  then fly if someone else is flying and then once more before sundown. If there is some rush, all three of us can fly off the time in short order.  We had few issues of significance with our first one; I would not expect any problems with yours.

However, any homebuilt requires significant "tweaking" during the first 5- 10 hours. Some "tweaks" can be quite frustrating to tackle on your own. By the time you get 40 hours, only the "tweaks" you can live with remain.

Doug Koenigsberg

In a message dated 1/28/2007 5:04:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, N1BZRich(at)aol.com writes:
[quote] In a message dated 1/28/2007 1:59:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, pequeajim(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
say Gettysburg, (about 40nm from GL and 40+nm from Lancaster).  That would
make it work.

Jim,
It all depends. Will the FAA inspector or DAR in that area approve that type of operation?  Some builders in other parts of the US even have a hard time getting a 50 mile radius approved for their designated test area - once again it depends on the local FAA / DAR that you are working with. Just like different DARs charge different amounts to do the inspection, some have different thoughts on what they are comfortable approving or not. So, it all depends.  Check with the Doug and the guys in WV to see how their FAA and/or DAR think about approving the type of operation you are talking about. 
Buz
[quote][b] BLOCKQUOTE>

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pequeajim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Flying off the hours Reply with quote

Thanks Doug:

If this all goes down, what I thought I would do is have Ryan do the initial flights to verify the construction and setup of the aircraft against the previous ones that you guys have put together, and then we follow a methodical test plan for flying off the next chunk of hours to fine tune the setup and determine the performance to fill in the flight manual. I would think that we would determine the best way to handle this at the time. I can stay down there and burn some of the hours with this and of course transitioning myself to a point where I feel comfortable with the aircraft. The key point is being down there in the beginning to utilize your expertise. Right now, I am a low time pilot with over 120 hours, but am building this time each week. Navigation around Camp David is not a problem. After some agreed upon amount of hours on the aircraft, I would like to get it up to KLNS to fly off the remaining time locally. Lancaster, (KLNS), is in the same town as where I work, so it is easy to get some time in every day.

Jim!

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Kayberg(at)aol.com
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 5:27 PM
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Lightning-List: Flying off the hours

Jim,

We have two different DAR's that we work with, one is just cheaper than the other!!!

One favors using a more uninhabited center point (Cumberland, MD) and the other (more expensive) will be more liberal. But I dont think it would be a problem with either. There will be some strong lectures about avoiding Camp David but that should be about it.

Ryan would be the one to arrange that.

I dont know what your pilot skills are like, but as long as you will pay for the gas, Ryan will help get the first 5 hours or so on it. We like to fly in the morning before work, take a flying break a bit later, then fly if someone else is flying and then once more before sundown. If there is some rush, all three of us can fly off the time in short order. We had few issues of significance with our first one; I would not expect any problems with yours.

However, any homebuilt requires significant "tweaking" during the first 5- 10 hours. Some "tweaks" can be quite frustrating to tackle on your own. By the time you get 40 hours, only the "tweaks" you can live with remain.

Doug Koenigsberg

In a message dated 1/28/2007 5:04:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, N1BZRich(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:

In a message dated 1/28/2007 1:59:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, pequeajim(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:

say Gettysburg, (about 40nm from GL and 40+nm from Lancaster). That would
make it work.

Jim,

[b]It all depends[/b]. Will the FAA inspector or DAR in that area approve that type of operation? Some builders in other parts of the US even have a hard time getting a 50 mile radius approved for their designated test area - once again it depends on the local FAA / DAR that you are working with. Just like different DARs charge different amounts to do the inspection, some have different thoughts on what they are comfortable approving or not. So, it all depends. Check with the Doug and the guys in WV to see how their FAA and/or DAR think about approving the type of operation you are talking about.

Buz
Quote:
BLOCKQUOTE>
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
BLOCKQUOTE>
Quote:
BLOCKQUOTE>
Quote:
BLOCKQUOTE>

[quote][b]

pjdisher(at)bigpond.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Flying off the hours Reply with quote

Hi Buz,

Many Thanks for all your imfo. It's been greatly appreciated, I can certainly understand your approach in what your saying.
Yes, got your info. from steve.

Thanks again,

Pete Disher Y SYD
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: