Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magneto failure in general, Was: Re: P Mags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Magneto failure in general, Was: Re: P Mags Reply with quote

Good Morning Mike
My following comments do NOT mean I dislike magnetos, but if you have an impulse magneto and the spring on the impulse fails, the same problem can occur.

That is one of the reasons that most good instructors teach that each magneto should be shut down independently any time an engine gets rough. There are other internal failure modes that will do the same thing.

I have had the plastic gear strip and have had springs break.

Switching the bad magneto off put the engine back to running normally.

In some ways the very reliability of modern ignition systems has set us up to not recognize failures when they occur. Sixty years ago, magneto failures of that sort were common.

One more good idea is to make a magneto check just before landing. That check will be more meaningful if it is done at a fairly high cruise power setting. Such a check is much more likely to catch a magneto, spark plug, or a harness, that is getting marginal than is the low power check we do just before takeoff.

I would certainly not consider the failure mode of the E-Mag to be any worse than failure modes that are common with any magneto.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
Stearman N3977A
Brookeridge Air Park LL22
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8503

In a message dated 2/22/2007 9:50:39 A.M. Central Standard Time, mlas(at)cox.net writes:
Quote:
Frank is right again! The point he makes is as a very important. What
is the effect of an ignition system going off time? In this case and
the one I was involved with the P-mag appeared to go more advanced.
Pre-ignition in an aircraft engine is a very bad thing! So it seems
that the change in potential timing advance could be a bigger problem
then a strait forward failure. Going back to Kelly's position about
mags vs. CDI and the like, I believe this would be one for the mag pro
side of the page. Mind you, I run dual LSE Plasma III on one of my
airplanes and love it.

Mike Larkin

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com. [quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
khorton01(at)rogers.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Magneto failure in general, Was: Re: P Mags Reply with quote

On 22 Feb 2007, at 12:01, BobsV35B(at)aol.com (BobsV35B(at)aol.com) wrote:
Quote:
I would certainly not consider the failure mode of the E-Mag to be any worse than failure modes that are common with any magneto.

The failure mode that is described in the E-Mag service bulletin could affect both ignitions at once, if one had two E-Mag ignition systems installed.  The failure mode occurs when the system incorrectly uses negative MP pulses to trigger the timing Quick-Set mode.  The system is supposed to only sense positive pressure MP pulses, but due to a software problem, it will also sense negative pressure MP pulses.  Both ignition systems likely see the same MP pulses, so both ignitions could have their timing changed.  There are other protections that were intended to ensure that the Quick-Set mode could not be triggered in flight, but there are things the pilot may do in normal operation that could invalidate those protections.

http://emagair.com/E-MAG%20Service%20Bulletin1.pdf

I'm not aware of any magneto failure modes where one event could trigger both mags to fail at the same time.

Kevin Horton
RV-8 (Finishing Kit)
Ottawa, Canada
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mprather(at)spro.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Magneto failure in general, Was: Re: P Mags Reply with quote

Hello Bob,

I have read/been-told that cycling the mag switch while at high power
settings might cause the engine to backfire if one mag is dead and the
other is turned back on, and that such a backfire might damage components
of the intake and exhaust systems.. What do you think about this?
Matt-

Quote:

Good Morning Mike

My following comments do NOT mean I dislike magnetos, but if you have an
impulse magneto and the spring on the impulse fails, the same problem can
occur.

That is one of the reasons that most good instructors teach that each
magneto should be shut down independently any time an engine gets rough.
There are
other internal failure modes that will do the same thing.

I have had the plastic gear strip and have had springs break.

Switching the bad magneto off put the engine back to running normally.

In some ways the very reliability of modern ignition systems has set us
up
to not recognize failures when they occur. Sixty years ago, magneto
failures
of that sort were common.

One more good idea is to make a magneto check just before landing. That
check will be more meaningful if it is done at a fairly high cruise power
setting. Such a check is much more likely to catch a magneto, spark plug,
or a
harness, that is getting marginal than is the low power check we do just
before
takeoff.

I would certainly not consider the failure mode of the E-Mag to be any
worse
than failure modes that are common with any magneto.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
Stearman N3977A
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8503
In a message dated 2/22/2007 9:50:39 A.M. Central Standard Time,
mlas(at)cox.net writes:

Frank is right again! The point he makes is as a very important. What
is the effect of an ignition system going off time? In this case and
the one I was involved with the P-mag appeared to go more advanced.
Pre-ignition in an aircraft engine is a very bad thing! So it seems
that the change in potential timing advance could be a bigger problem
then a strait forward failure. Going back to Kelly's position about
mags vs. CDI and the like, I believe this would be one for the mag pro
side of the page. Mind you, I run dual LSE Plasma III on one of my
airplanes and love it.

Mike Larkin

<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now offers free
email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at
http://www.aol.com.

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Magneto failure in general, Was: Re: P Mags Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Matt,
The procedure, as taught, is to be very sure you DO NOT turn on the remaining good magneto if the engine does quit. The drill then is to put the mixture in full lean, count to ten, turn on the magneto and slowly richen the mixture until the engine starts.

I have never had it happen that way and I am sure it will take a lot of discipline to wait those few seconds for the engine to clear itself before the magneto is placed back in service!

It does help if the operator has experience deliberately running fuel tanks dry.

That procedure is another one that is rarely taught these days, but having run a tank dry often does instill confidence in the restart procedure.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
Stearman N3977A
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8503

In a message dated 2/22/2007 12:16:43 P.M. Central Standard Time, mprather(at)spro.net writes:
Quote:
Matt-

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com. [quote][b]

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Magneto failure in general, Was: Re: P Mags Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Ken,
Well, as long as we are discussing potential multiple failures or single point failures, what happens when the drive gear on a dual magneto fails?

In any case, I meant to be responding to the potential of getting a magneto out of time as happened on the flight being discussed.

The Service Bulletin was not what I had in mind, but anything made by man is subject to some sort of failure mode.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
Stearman N3977A
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8503

In a message dated 2/22/2007 12:05:56 P.M. Central Standard Time, khorton01(at)rogers.com writes:
Quote:
Quote:

The failure mode that is described in the E-Mag service bulletin could affect both ignitions at once, if one had two E-Mag ignition systems installed. The failure mode occurs when the system incorrectly uses negative MP pulses to trigger the timing Quick-Set mode. The system is supposed to only sense positive pressure MP pulses, but due to a software problem, it will also sense negative pressure MP pulses. Both ignition systems likely see the same MP pulses, so both ignitions could have their timing changed. There are other protections that were intended to ensure that the Quick-Set mode could not be triggered in flight, but there are things the pilot may do in normal operation that could invalidate those protections.

I'm not aware of any magneto failure modes where one event could trigger both mags to fail at the same time.

Kevin Horton
RV-8 (Finishing Kit)
Ottawa, Canada

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Magneto failure in general, Was: Re: P Mags Reply with quote

In a message dated 2/22/2007 1:05:51 P.M. Central Standard Time, BobsV35B(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Good Afternoon Ken,

OOOPs!! should have been:

Good Afternoon Kevin,

Sorry about that.

Do Not Archive

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
Stearman N3977A
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8503

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL 326657x4311227241x4298082137/aol?redir=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eaol%2Ecom" target="_blank">AOL.com. [quote][b]

mprather(at)spro.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Magneto failure in general, Was: Re: P Mags Reply with quote

Aha... That clears it up for me. Thanks for the description of the
correct procedure. And, yes it would take some discipline to keep from
just turning the mag back on...
Regards,

Matt-

Quote:

Good Afternoon Matt,

The procedure, as taught, is to be very sure you DO NOT turn on the
remaining good magneto if the engine does quit. The drill then is to put
the mixture
in full lean, count to ten, turn on the magneto and slowly richen the
mixture
until the engine starts.

I have never had it happen that way and I am sure it will take a lot of
discipline to wait those few seconds for the engine to clear itself before
the
magneto is placed back in service!

It does help if the operator has experience deliberately running fuel
tanks
dry.

That procedure is another one that is rarely taught these days, but having
run a tank dry often does instill confidence in the restart procedure.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
Stearman N3977A
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8503
In a message dated 2/22/2007 12:16:43 P.M. Central Standard Time,
mprather(at)spro.net writes:

Matt-

<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now offers free
email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at
http://www.aol.com.

khorton01(at)rogers.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Magneto failure in general, Was: Re: P Mags Reply with quote

Bob,
I share your concern with dual drive magnetos, and would not want to own an engine with such a beast.
Kevin Horton

On 22 Feb 2007, at 13:58, BobsV35B(at)aol.com (BobsV35B(at)aol.com) wrote:
Quote:
Good Afternoon Ken,  
Well, as long as we are discussing potential multiple failures or single point failures, what happens when the drive gear on a dual magneto fails?

In any case, I meant to be responding to the potential of getting a magneto out of time as happened on the flight being discussed.

The Service Bulletin was not what I had in mind, but anything made by man is subject to some sort of failure mode.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
Stearman N3977A
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8503

In a message dated 2/22/2007 12:05:56 P.M. Central Standard Time, khorton01(at)rogers.com (khorton01(at)rogers.com) writes:
Quote:
Quote:

The failure mode that is described in the E-Mag service bulletin could affect both ignitions at once, if one had two E-Mag ignition systems installed.  The failure mode occurs when the system incorrectly uses negative MP pulses to trigger the timing Quick-Set mode.  The system is supposed to only sense positive pressure MP pulses, but due to a software problem, it will also sense negative pressure MP pulses.  Both ignition systems likely see the same MP pulses, so both ignitions could have their timing changed.  There are other protections that were intended to ensure that the Quick-Set mode could not be triggered in flight, but there are things the pilot may do in normal operation that could invalidate those protections.

Kevin Horton
RV-8 (Finishing Kit)
Ottawa, Canada

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: