Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TRANSPONDER ANTENNAS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV4-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RV4WGH(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: TRANSPONDER ANTENNAS Reply with quote

I am in the process of locating mounting two transponder antennas.  One for my GTX-327 and one for an ATD-200 traffic detector.

I plan for my comm antenna to be mounted about 10 inches behind the firewall and mid point side to sideHas anyone mounted their transponder antenna on the "floor" piece that extends beyond the fuselage sides for attachment to the lower wing skin? I can meet the 3 foot separatation to the transponder antennas and the two foot separation between them by mounting one on each side. Alternative would be to mount all in tandem with required separation but his would require a longer cable run.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

Regards,

Wally Hunt
RV-4 Finishing Kit
Rockford, IL

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AO15326657x4311227241x4298082137/aol?redir=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eaol%2Ecom" target="_blank">AOL.com. [quote][b]

- The Matronics RV4-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV4-List
Jerry Grimmonpre'

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: TRANSPONDER ANTENNAS Reply with quote

Wally ...
I know there needs to be a 22" ground plane around the mounting point of the comm ant ... that has been specified on the AeroElectric-List by Bob Nuckolls. That's the only answer I can give to your questions. To me that means 22" circle all around the mount. You could ask the questions of the AeroElectric-List and get answers on the others.
Jerry Grimmonpre
RV4
Huntley, IL
Do Not Archive
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

smokyray(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: TRANSPONDER ANTENNAS Reply with quote

Wally,
I have flown a bunch of RV4's and most had their transponder antenna on the belly, about 24" aft of the firewall. I had mine in the same position for the first 1000 hours. Since then I have experimented with several places on my RV4 including where you mention. They all worked fine except for under my cowling which was reported "weak".
My goal was to put ALL my antennas hidden inside the airframe behind fiberglass. To do this I installed my comm antenna in the left gear leg fairing, transponder in the wingtip and ELT inside the cockpit. They all work well...

Rob Ray

RV4WGH(at)aol.com wrote:[quote] I am in the process of locating mounting two transponder antennas. One for my GTX-327 and one for an ATD-200 traffic detector.

I plan for my comm antenna to be mounted about 10 inches behind the firewall and mid point side to sideHas anyone mounted their transponder antenna on the "floor" piece that extends beyond the fuselage sides for attachment to the lower wing skin? I can meet the 3 foot separatation to the transponder antennas and the two foot separation between them by mounting one on each side. Alternative would be to mount all in tandem with required separation but his would require a longer cable run.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

Regards,

Wally Hunt
RV-4 Finishing Kit
Rockford, IL

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from TV dinner still cooling?
[url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49979/*http://tv.yahoo.com/]Check out "Tonight's Picks"[/url] on Yahoo! TV. [quote][b]

Jerry Grimmonpre'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: TRANSPONDER ANTENNAS Reply with quote

Hi Rob ...
Can you please expand on the comm antenna in the left gear leg? It obviously had to be a straight whip. How did you fasten it to the structure of the leg, how did you ground the antenna mount? How close to the fuselage was the base of the antenna? How long was the antenna? How did you prevent the whip part of the ant from touching the gear leg and grounding out. Is the comm antenna still inside the fairing and working good? This really blows holes in the idea that comm antennas need a flat ground plane. Sorry for so many questions.
Thanks for your answers ...
Jerry
RV4
Huntley IL
[quote] ---

smokyray(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: TRANSPONDER ANTENNAS Reply with quote

OK Jerry, one question at a time. First, I used one of the the copper tape "canopy antennas" in Vans catalog and glued it into the fiberglass leg fairing. I attached the connector at the top with a BNC and ran the wire into the cockpit with my brake line.
My thinking was that it had no ground plane taped into the canopy so why should it need one there? I had a whip antenna connected to the wing fairing on my Tcraft for years and it worked great with a handheld. The leg antenna works good. One improvement might be to use a fiberglass straight antenna inside the fairing with the base removed. The cost of the copper antenna was so cheap that I couldn't resist.

Since the letters EXPERIMENTAL are on the side of my airplane, I like to excercise it...good luck!

RR

Jerry Grimmonpre <jerry(at)mc.net> wrote:[quote] Hi Rob ...
Can you please expand on the comm antenna in the left gear leg? It obviously had to be a straight whip. How did you fasten it to the structure of the leg, how did you ground the antenna mount? How close to the fuselage was the base of the antenna? How long was the antenna? How did you prevent the whip part of the ant from touching the gear leg and grounding out. Is the comm antenna still inside the fairing and working good? This really blows holes in the idea that comm antennas need a flat ground plane. Sorry for so many questions.
Thanks for your answers ...
Jerry
RV4
Huntley IL
[quote] ---

gjslutz

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: TRANSPONDER ANTENNAS Reply with quote

After looking at Tracy Saylor's RV-6 (at) OSH I did the same. I moved my transponder ant. to a 8" dia. plate I attached below the engine under the cowl. It has worked well for a few years now.

My com antena in the gear leg didn't do as well. It had low range. I'm not sure what was wrong whith my com ant. as others have worked ok.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV4-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: