Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JabiruEngine-List Digest: 4 Msgs - 02/25/07

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TELEDYNMCS(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: JabiruEngine-List Digest: 4 Msgs - 02/25/07 Reply with quote

In a message dated 2/26/2007 2:58:19 AM Eastern Standard Time, jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com writes:
Quote:
I would be shocked if your Jabiru didn't outperform a Rotax 912S on
nearly any airplane. For one thing it has 20 or 30 percent more horse power.

Hi Paul,

Yes, it would seem that way, wouldn't it? What is really shocking is the folks over on the Yahoo Jabiru forum who claim exactly the opposite. Rotax is the only way, dontchaknow? One fellow in particular claims that anyone building a Europa with a Jabiru will be sorely disappointed when his Rotax 912S powered Europa friends "go right by", meaning that he claims the 912S Europa is faster. False. This fellow also claims that the few extra lbs the Jab has over the Rotax 912S causes the handling to suffer. False again. There are many Europa's flying with engines heavier than the Jab, i.e., Subaru, Continental 0-200, etc, with no ill effects. I've taken this one through many positive aerobatic maneuvers and it is a delight to fly at all areas of the envelope. Not only is the Jab powered Europa faster, it climbs better, and we've measured it to be quieter, too. Fuel consumption is slightly higher than the 912S, but otherwise, having flown both, the Jab/Europa is a superior combo in my opinion. It is certainly several orders of magnitude smoother than the Rotax, too. (and the Jab is considerably cheaper) I really like the lines the longer cowl gives the Europa as well. Gone is the goofy "doghouse" on the bottom cowl that contains the Rotax radiator and the stubby look it gives the stock Europa. Mine looks more like a cross between a Europa and a Lancair. It draws a crowd everywhere I go.

I've offered to race any of their 912S powered Europa trigears and or demo the outstanding performance of this combination to them, but so far no takers. It seems that although a few claim to know everything about Jabiru powered Europa's, only one has any direct experience and that one was a completely different firewall forward and prop than mine. The others are merely parroting this one owner's experience. Typical and sad at the same time.

I look forward to the release of the Airmaster hub for this prop. My Europa XS is absolutely screaming for constant speed!

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN (TN89)
N245E

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what'227241x4298082137/aol?redir=http://www.aol.com" href="http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/1615326657x4311227241x4298082137/aol?redir=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eaol%2Ecom" target="_blank">AOL.com. [quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
ultralight.flyer(at)gmail

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: JabiruEngine-List Digest: 4 Msgs - 02/25/07 Reply with quote

In the lower speed, in the higher speed, in gas and oil consuption, in weight, in less noise, parts prices, TBO hours, and global price... Jabiru is better than ROTAX... and Jabi is a kid that can fly full power constantly 'til stop few hours later; ROTAX is a grand-father who born to cut grass. Have you noticed the noise she makes at starts and shuting down 'cause of the reduction gears? It looks like my mother in law. It's a reliable engine with some caution. Everybody get used to it. Jab is another engine concept, made for fly. Some things i would like to see changed in Jabi, like cylinders AL alloy.

--
Miguel Maia de Loureiro
Ultralight Pilot Suport Services
Cel.: +351 91 419 21 04
e-Mail: ultralight.flyer(at)gmail.com (ultralight.flyer(at)gmail.com)
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: JabiruEngine-List Digest: 4 Msgs - 02/25/07 Reply with quote

Miguel Maia de Loureiro a écrit :
Quote:

In the lower speed, in the higher speed, in gas and oil consuption, in
weight, in less noise, parts prices, TBO hours, and global price...
Jabiru is better than ROTAX... and Jabi is a kid that can fly full
power constantly 'til stop few hours later; ROTAX is a grand-father
who born to cut grass. Have you noticed the noise she makes at starts
and shuting down 'cause of the reduction gears? It looks like my
mother in law. It's a reliable engine with some caution. Everybody get
used to it. Jab is another engine concept, made for fly. Some things i
would like to see changed in Jabi, like cylinders AL alloy.
Miguel,

This is just to say there is no perfect engine.
Only engines that suit some definite set of requirements, with some
degree of proven reliability.
Reliability has something to do with the number of million flight hours
achieved.

There is no reason or no need to criticize the Rotax 91X engines to
establish the qualities of the Jabiru line of engines. Better stick with
facts.
If you need price, lightness, simplicity, fixed pitch, then the Jabiru
will be your choice.
As for power, the rated continuous power of the 3300 is 107 hp, so no
continuous full power, as with any aero engine.
Concerning the TBO, it takes many many engines reaching TBO before you
can be certain of the advertised numbers. And as you just told, the
Jabiru is still a young kid and building flight experience Wink

By the way, what is wrong with the Rotax reduction gear ?
Regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: