Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JabiruEngine-List Digest: 4 Msgs - 02/25/07

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: JabiruEngine-List Digest: 4 Msgs - 02/25/07 Reply with quote

Hi John,

I had to drop the Jabiru list at Yahoo. It was just too boring. It seemed to be endless repetition of the same information. I just couldn't stand the hundredth report of how to stop one particular kind of leak or another.

I don't know if you follow the Zenith builder's list at Matronics. I made a post there a couple of days ago answering one lister's question about high RPM. I mentioned that auto conversions and other engines which were originally designed for non-aircraft use tended to have PSRUs to make them compatible with propellers. I got one response from a Rotax owner denying his Rotax 912S had snowmobile ancestry. You'd think I suggested his mother wore combat boots.

The one lesson from this whole exchange is there is a lot of emotion and biased information when it comes to home builders and their engines.

A couple of quick comments on your post:

1. I suspect your Jab powered Europa will outperform any tail dragger as well as any tricycle gear Rotax 912S powered plane. It turns out that RVs with tricycle gear only lose a couple of MPH over tail draggers of the same design. Surprisingly, this is in a 200 mph design.

2. I think the biggest impact of extra horse power in an airplane is in the climb performance. While you might get a little more cruise speed you should get a lot more climb when you add 30 percent more power to a plane.

3. I envy you in your quest for a constant speed Jabiru installation. I can't do that myself since I don't want to get a medical. That means I am limited by the Sport Pilot rule that requires fixed or ground adjustable props.

Best regards,

Paul
Still building, Zodiac XL
do not archive

At 04:43 AM 2/26/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
In a message dated 2/26/2007 2:58:19 AM Eastern Standard Time, jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com writes:
I would be shocked if your Jabiru didn't outperform a Rotax 912S on
nearly any airplane. For one thing it has 20 or 30 percent more horse power.[/i]

Hi Paul,

Yes, it would seem that way, wouldn't it? What is really shocking is the folks over on the Yahoo Jabiru forum who claim exactly the opposite. Rotax is the only way, dontchaknow? One fellow in particular claims that anyone building a Europa with a Jabiru will be sorely disappointed when his Rotax 912S powered Europa friends "go right by", meaning that he claims the 912S Europa is faster. False. This fellow also claims that the few extra lbs the Jab has over the Rotax 912S causes the handling to suffer. False again. There are many Europa's flying with engines heavier than the Jab, i.e., Subaru, Continental 0-200, etc, with no ill effects. I've taken this one through many positive aerobatic maneuvers and it is a delight to fly at all areas of the envelope. Not only is the Jab powered Europa faster, it climbs better, and we've measured it to be quieter, too. Fuel consumption is slightly higher than the 912S, but otherwise, having flown both, the Jab/Europa is a superior combo in my opinion. It is certainly several orders of magnitude smoother than the Rotax, too. (and the Jab is considerably cheaper) I really like the lines the longer cowl gives the Europa as well. Gone is the goofy "doghouse" on the bottom cowl that contains the Rotax radiator and the stubby look it gives the stock Europa. Mine looks more like a cross between a Europa and a Lancair. It draws a crowd everywhere I go.

I've offered to race any of their 912S powered Europa trigears and or demo the outstanding performance of this combination to them, but so far no takers. It seems that although a few claim to know everything about Jabiru powered Europa's, only one has any direct experience and that one was a completely different firewall forward and prop than mine. The others are merely parroting this one owner's experience. Typical and sad at the same time.

I look forward to the release of the Airmaster hub for this prop. My Europa XS is absolutely screaming for constant speed!

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN (TN89)
N245E

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what'227241x4298082137/aol?redir=http://www.aol.com" href=" ttp%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eaol%2Ecom " target="_blank">AOL.com.

---------------------------------------------
Paul Mulwitz
32013 NE Dial Road
Camas, WA 98607
---------------------------------------------
[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: JabiruEngine-List Digest: 4 Msgs - 02/25/07 Reply with quote

Thank you Paul, for a voice of sanity regarding which
group...Matronics or Yahoo...to read/respond to. I tried to help
steer folks over here, and nearly got tarred and feathered. I wish
more folks would attend this site. The only problem is that Yahoo is
where the traffic is...so far. Pete and Andy have both tried to steer
the traffic here to Matronics but no luck yet, so I get 'em both.

Lynn
Kitfox IV Speedster...Jabiru 2200
do not archive
On Feb 26, 2007, at 9:24 AM, Paul Mulwitz wrote:

Quote:
Hi John,

I had to drop the Jabiru list at Yahoo. It was just too boring.
It seemed to be endless repetition of the same information. I just
couldn't stand the hundredth report of how to stop one particular
kind of leak or another.

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: