Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is insane? Was: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: What is insane? Was: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Dave,
I don't think doing whatever anyone wants to do to their personal experimental aircraft is ever insane.

And, as a matter of fact, my 1978 Bonanza is now an all electric machine, so I do agree that going all electric is a reasonable thing to do.

If someone does wish to add another back up to whatever is being used, adding a single T&B powered by a single Venturi is about as light and cheap as any standby can be.

There is absolutely no requirement in the FARs that any of our older airplanes have any redundancy at all. My first Bonanza had one vacuum pump, one vacuum T&B, and one vacuum directional gyro. No attitude gyro and no back up for the Vacuum. Perfectly legal for IFR at the time.

I added an electric T&B because I wanted a little more redundancy than was installed in the airplane when I bought it. When the Attitude Gyro was added to the list of instruments required for IFR light, I added a vacuum driven attitude gyro. Still -- No redundancy required.

While some of the more recently approved airplanes do have redundancy built into their certification limitations, we have no more requirement for redundancy that do the homebuilders among us.

To each his own and all that stuff!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
Stearman N3977A
Brookeridge Air Park LL22
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8503

In a message dated 3/3/2007 2:05:45 P.M. Central Standard Time, N6030X(at)DaveMorris.com writes:
Quote:
I don't know about you guys, but if I were building an experimental
and had no Type Certificate I had to abide by, I would be spending my
time figuring out how to build a bullet proof electrical system and
getting rid of anything that had the word Vacuum in it. It's an old,
archaic technology that, at the present date, serves ONLY to make
gyros cheaper. The vacuum pumps are less reliable or long-lived than
an alternator, and you're basically building a parallel power system
for gyros that adds weight and complexity, hoses, filters, etc, and
so on. If you've got redundant electrical, and you are now worrying
about a backup vacuum system, you're basically building QUADRUPLE
parallel systems to power gyros. That's insane to me.

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Jerry Grimmonpre'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: What is insane? Was: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

Old Bob ...
Wouldn't you opt for a vacuum horizon, even one that has the leans when the EFIS locks up on final to an instrument runway? This has happened while vectored to a runway not selected in the EFIS. It ended happily to another pilot who resorted to backup instruments. Any instrument or piece of hardware that will get your wings near level, even a leaning vacuum driven horizon, is better than none at all . Bottom line is EFIS requires back up stuff to level the wings and stay out of the weeds ... autopilot, vac horizon, t&b, altimeter and airspeed. Betting on EFIS alone is something not even Boeing does.
Jerry ...
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: What is insane? Was: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

Good Evening Jerry,

I like the T&B.

If I had to choose between having only an artificial horizon or only a T&B , I would take the T&B every time.

The company took away our T&Bs back when I was flying the 720. I flew it between 1968 and 1972 so imagine the T&B was eliminated in about 1970. I do recall that the first time I got in turbulence after that was when I first missed the T&B. I had not realized I had been using it to kill the Dutch roll, but as soon as it started, my eyes fell to where the T&B had been located.

I realize that I also suffer from the disease of primacy. When I was getting my instrument training, we were not allowed to use an Artificial Horizon or a Directional Gyro. All the training and all the check rides were done strictly on partial panel.

I managed to learn how to use those fancy gyros later in life, but I have always reverted to the T&B when things started to get confusing. Since I tend to get confused easily, I looked at the T&B a lot!

It is still the most reliable mechanical instrument available.

And it is light, cheap, and simple.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
Stearman N3977A
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8503

In a message dated 3/3/2007 4:25:28 P.M. Central Standard Time, jerry(at)mc.net writes:
Quote:
Old Bob ...
Wouldn't you opt for a vacuum horizon, even one that has the leans when the EFIS locks up on final to an instrument runway? This has happened while vectored to a runway not selected in the EFIS. It ended happily to another pilot who resorted to backup instruments. Any instrument or piece of hardware that will get your wings near level, even a leaning vacuum driven horizon, is better than none at all . Bottom line is EFIS requires back up stuff to level the wings and stay out of the weeds ... autopilot, vac horizon, t&b, altimeter and airspeed.  Betting on EFIS alone is something not even Boeing does.
Jerry ...

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: What is insane? Was: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

In a message dated 3/3/2007 4:40:52 P.M. Central Standard Time, Bobs V35B writes:
Quote:
Betting on EFIS alone is something not even Boeing does.
Jerry ...

Just a bit more Jerry,

I am not ready to rely on having nothing but glass. In fact, I do not believe I will buy a glass cockpit for several years, if ever. I am happy with the classic instruments and I will buy as cheap an MFD as I can get to play with while I fly the airplane in reference to "traditional" information.

I would imagine that I will buy glass when it becomes cheaper than traditional instrumentation. I DO believe that will eventually happen. Odds are that I will still have an Airspeed, T&B and Altimeter all in a row very close to my primary scan area!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
Stearman N3977A
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8503

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: